Pick Up Camper and Immediately Head Out?

Ace!

Gone Traveling
I am considering a one week (maybe longer) trip, almost immediately after picking up a new Hawk. Is there anything I should be especially mindful of? I am going to run water through the tank once or twice, make sure the propane tanks are full, and plug the rig into shore power for maybe two days prior to leaving. Is there anything else I should make sure I do (to the camper) before leaving for a one week trip with probably 80% of it off road?

Ace! said:
I am considering a one week (maybe longer) trip, almost immediately after picking up a new Hawk. Is there anything I should be especially mindful of? I am going to run water through the tank once or twice, make sure the propane tanks are full, and plug the rig into shore power for maybe two days prior to leaving. Is there anything else I should make sure I do (to the camper) before leaving for a one week trip with probably 80% of it off road?
Do you have a 3 way fridg?
If so run it a day or so before you leave.
Have fun.Where did you find to travel?
Frank

I would remove the jacks (if you purchased them) as they won't be needed and they add a lot of extra weight. Get a rug for the floor. On my maiden voyage I didn't have one and never again will I go out without one.

Good info guys. I have a two-way fridge.

I've been trying to ride (motorcycle) the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route for some time, but recently had a get off and broke my clavicle which put me out of commission over the summer. So, now I'm considering driving it. It's late(r) in the season, but I figure once I get the camper I can get over to eastern Oregon and start from Lakeview and see how far north I can make it in a week or so. It wasn't the plan, but based on some time off I already have scheduled, it may just work out...everything at this point is falling into place.

Run the furnace a couple of times. There is a residue that will set off your smoke detector. It burns off before long, though.

I find a doormat is a good place to land when exiting your camper. You can also step out of your shoes and keep from dragging dirt into the camper. I built a step out of a trailer tongue. I left it in most of the time I was traveling but I could easily remove it and leave it just inside the door when necessary.

My 2015 camper did not have the same issue of heater or stove burn off that my 2013 did. Maybe the newer Atwood furnace is different or they run them longer at the factory testing them now?

In case they don't share this when you turn on the propane bottle the first time light the stove first to bleed the lines of trapped air. As others have said turn on the furnace and let it run for 5-10 minutes to burn it off or you won't get much sleep when the alarm goes off.

Buy a digital thermometer for the fridge. We bought 3 fiber bath mats from Bed Bath & Beyond. We have one between the front dinette seats and the other 2 in the aisle way. They are insulated and very comfortable to the feet.

Use a 1/4 teaspoon of bleach in a 2 gallon jug, empty into the fresh water tank and then fill up the water tank, run the pump and sink, drain and flush again.

I made cheat cards and had them laminated for each of the main things that you will do.
  • Loading the camper
  • Unloading the camper
  • Raising the roof
  • Lowering the roof
  • Things to do before leaving the campsite (i.e. turn off gas at bottle, turn off water heater and water pump)
When we get to our campsite, I unhook the roof clips. Before I raise the roof my wife and I walk around the camper making sure that all are unhooked. When we lower the roof I lift each corner and adjust the soft side to make sure the corners are tucked in properly, latch the latches and walk around to make sure all are latched.

I also have a cheat card laminated that has all of the measurements of the truck with the camper on. Length is important as many camp sites have a length restriction and you need to know the height from the ground to the highest point on the roof.

Good luck and you will have a blast.

jd

Thanks so much jd for all the tips.

We pick up this morning and then will do dispersed camping a few hours away for a few nights to learn the rig and be close to FWC if anything needs tweaking . Head up the coast after if weather cooperates and SW if it does not. Would like to drive along the eastern Sierras but need to check weather and road conditions.
Our biggest issue will be the immediate sanitization of water as there is no water source where we will camp tonight.

Haven not seen one FWC in Woodland but expect to see at least one today!!!

daygreeter

SCAROLINAHAWK said:

We pick up this morning and then will do dispersed camping a few hours away for a few nights to learn the rig and be close to FWC if anything needs tweaking . Head up the coast after if weather cooperates and SW if it does not. Would like to drive along the eastern Sierras but need to check weather and road conditions.
Our biggest issue will be the immediate sanitization of water as there is no water source where we will camp tonight.

daygreeter
It is so nice to hear your excitement in your posts. Have a great time. Be safe! :)

DrJ said:
My 2015 camper did not have the same issue of heater or stove burn off that my 2013 did. Maybe the newer Atwood furnace is different or they run them longer at the factory testinmiral has a VERY sensitive nose!g them now?
X2 on this with our three week old Hawk. And trust me, the Admiral has a very sensitive nose! :)

SCAROLINAHAWK said:

daygreeter
Pick-up a couple of 2 gallon spiggeted water jugs and set them on the counter as a last resort. Maybe they will fill up the tank at Woodland. Get a white hose. May have to live with the taste until you get home and flush everything out.. Have fun. jd

Back
Top Bottom