Picking up the new Raven

captainphx

Sorry, this post is a little late, but I haven’t had time towrite this up until now. Not sure if this should be in Trip Reports?

Back in January, my wife and I flew up to Sacramento andtoured the Four Wheel Camper factory and ordered a Raven. On the 1stof March we left Phoenix and drove up to Reno, to take delivery, along with ourdog, Tasha, a four-year-old Samoyed. At the last moment before leaving and inpreparation for picking up the Raven, I had Firestone airbags installed on our2007 F150 Supercrew, which has a 6-inch lift. It was Saturday and the shop thatwas installing them had some difficulty due to the lift, so we had to postponedeparting Phoenix until Tuesday. When they finally got the airbags installed,along with the spacers they fabricated, they looked like this. All in all, theydid a nice job.

More to follow....

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 221
On the way to Reno, we stopped for breakfast at a favoriteplace of ours on Highway 93 about four miles north of Wikeup called Lucia’s.Their pancakes are always awesome as is everything else. Then we made our waythrough Las Vegas and Death Valley and spent a night in a hotel that takes dogsin Lone Pine. Lone Pine is at the base of the lower 48’s tallest peak, Mt.Whitney, 10,000 feet higher. The next day, we headed past Mono Lake and theeast entrance to Yosemite, through a snowstorm, and on up to Reno, and checkedinto another hotel. The following morning, we were to have our camper installedat the FWC garage a few blocks away.

More to follow...

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 290
The installation went very well, and we spent the rest ofthe day shopping for a few last minute camper items around town, aired up theairbags to about 45 psi to achieve a level attitude, and stayed one more night.Late the next morning, we departed Reno on a very cold, windy, and snowy day.We only made it as far as Bishop, where the sky was clear and the temperatureshort sleeve-worthy. There, I pressure washed the snow and grime from the camperand truck, while my wife shopped for groceries. I filled up the water tank atthe Ranger station until it came out of the overflow, picked up my wife at thegrocery store, stopped at Schat’s bakery, for a loaf of bread and croissants, andchecked into yet another hotel. We really wanted to camp that night, but it wasjust too late. We organized everything and then locked up the camper’s threelocks, which I found to be fussy, and went to bed. Tasha seemed quizzical ofthe whole operation.

The following morning, we gassed up and departed Bishop,heading back towards Death Valley, looking forward to great weather and anoutstanding camping spot. We headed east from Big Pine, towards Eureka Valley,the north entrance, on a dirt road. The views of the snowy Sierra’s in the rearview were incredible!

At 2 PM we found a nice little spot to set up our new Ravenin a forbidding landscape dotted with Joshua trees. My wife and I wanted tohave plenty of daylight to explore every inch of the new camper. There’snothing like the smell of new vinyl and cloth! The top went up without a hitchand the well-made awning, fully cranked out provided plenty of shade, which wasappreciated by Tasha. The day was warm and sunny, allowing the solar panel tokeep the two camper batteries fully charged. We appreciated that we could fillTasha’s water bowl from outside the camper through the drain spigot on the rear.That night we cooked over the camper’s two-burner stove, and the two FantasticFans exhausted all of the roasted garlic smell with ease. The margaritas,shaken and over ice, perfectly complimented my wife’s home made tacos and homemade refried beans. The pans soaked in the sink in hot water while we ate atour little dinette. The table though is less than adequate. I think a Lagun tablebase is in our future. I was surprised at how well the camper ventilated,particularly through the screen door. The little pass through in the screendoor is a nice touch, too. The refrigerator holds much more than we thought andit was well worth the money to get the larger one. It has a small part of oneshelf that folds back to allow a wine bottle to stand up. That night I read thecamper manual aloud to my wife, as per her request. Aren’t I romantic? The LEDlighting on the exterior of the camper was soft, but I thought the LED interiorlighting was harsh and florescent-like, even with just one of the four lightslit. We decided that we would bring a couple of small battery operatedincandescent candles from now on, to provide a little better ambiance. Later wewatched a movie on the computer using a 400-watt inverter that we have had fora long time. Eventually, we slid out the bed and climbed in under a nicecomforter my wife had bought before we left. We actually found the bed to bequite comfortable. Tasha curled up on the bench below. No complaints from her. Theevening was cool and the furnace worked great!

More to follow...

Attachments

• IMG_6049.jpg
    IMG_6049.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 225
The next morning we headed down into Eureka Valley and on toEureka Dunes. There we camped another night, checked out the shower, andenjoyed the views. The shower’s hot and cold knobs were reversed, but I justchanged the caps and all was well. As backpackers, we are not used to a showerwhile camping and this was a feature that we much appreciated. I found theshower head mount on the inside of the shower access door to be a nice touch. Iwould also like to see a small fold down tray mounted on the side of the camperto hold soap and shampoo as well as a towel hook. That would be helpful.

more to follow...

Attachments

• IMG_6070.jpg
    IMG_6070.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_6071.jpg
    IMG_6071.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 163
Next, we headed into Death Valley itself on a long washboardroad. There is nothing worse than washboard, if you ask me. There are only twospeeds you can go, less than 10, or greater than 50. Everything in between isbeating your truck to smithereens. I tried 10 for a long while, but couldn’ttake the slow pace, so I pushed it up to fifty, where things smoothed out. Theproblem with 50 is, of course, the occasional pothole, and the possibleresultant shock damage. I stopped and checked the camper turnbuckles severaltimes.

I travelled down this road a few years earlier on my BMWR1200GS and 70 mph was no problem and was glass smooth despite the washboard. Icouldn’t stop thinking about how smooth this ride might be in a Ford Raptor.

When we finally reached pavement at Ubehebe Crater, Istopped once again to check the truck, airbags and camper, to see if everythingwas all right. Unfortunately, I found oil near the left rear shock. Bustedshock! We moved on anyway and picnicked at Scotty’s Castle and then headed ontoward home. If you haven’t visited this place, you should. It is veryinteresting. We passed through Las Vegas, bypassing Boulder Dam on the newbridge, and continued on towards Kingman. About 30 miles north of Kingman, we turned off the highway onto a dirtroad, and drove 9 steep, winding miles east, in the dark, up to Packsaddlecampground, for our final night out before heading home. It was a very windynight, but the pop-up handled it just fine.

More to follow...

Attachments

• IMG_6096.jpg
    IMG_6096.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 133
My favorite:

That night I read the camper manual aloud to my wife, as per her request. Aren’t I romantic?

Awesome. Awesome shakedown pics. Keep on!

Nice setup! I have the same truck (white 06 CC FX4) but with a bilstein leveling kit, 4.56 gears, lockers, 35s etc. I just sold my hard side camper, and I'm planning on ditching the leveling kit for either a 4.5 or 6" lift. Most likely I'll have Coyote/Phoenix build a custom pop-up, with a Raven as my back-up plan.

Do you have any real complaints about the way the Raven is setup yet? I'd like to see some interior pictures!

FYI the lift blocks and air bags kind of freak me out. I know when I installed 3" blocks on my F150 (replace the factory 2" blocks) I got fed up with axle wrap with the gears, 35s and detroit locker. I had a friend build some custom traction bars and the truck drives so so much nicer. I'm just imagining what it looks like when you step on the throttle, how the blocks on those airbags must be moving back and forth... I'm using firestone air bags, but I'm using the firestone mounts on the axle, just modified with one longer piece. I think with the next camper (it will stay on 95% of the time) I'll eventually have a custom spring pack made.

The next day we stopped in Kingman at a fantastic littleMexican food joint called Mi Sarita that we have frequented over the years.Continuing back down Highway 93, my wife and Tasha figured out they couldaccess the refrigerator through the camper’s removable window.

When we got home, we washed everything again and removed thejacks, and replaced the shock. A week or so later, I decided to remove thecamper and put it in the garage. The truck will not fit in the garage with thecamper installed, because of the 6-inch lift on the truck. I knew it wouldn’tfit before we brought it home, but somehow I hadn’t thought of the fact that Iwould have to remove it in the driveway and then how would I move the camper intothe garage? So…. off to Home Depot, and $170 and 3 hours later, I had built adolly, placed it under the Raven and rolled it in. Now the truck sits out inthe driveway, but with 110,000 miles, it has one foot (wheel?) out the dooranyway. Raptor?

One of the things that I learned on our first outing wasthat I did not like using a stepladder to get into the camper. So, I ordered a 5step Torklift scissor step (they call it the ”glowstep”) and installed them.They do work well. I also installed a towel bar, a towel rack, and a bottleopener inside the camper.

All in all, we really like our new Raven. Everything workedas it should and we have had no issues at all with the camper. We are planninga backpacking/camper trip into the Grand Staircase Escalante Wilderness insouthern Utah in mid April. We can’t wait!

Several years ago we drove to Alaska and back, camping inwhat I called “the circus tent”. It took us an hour and a half to setup camp.People pulling in at the same time in campers were done with dinner by the timewe were finished setting up! I would like to repeat that trip now!

Attachments

• IMG_6109.jpg
    IMG_6109.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 146
Nice setup! I have the same truck (white 06 CC FX4) but with a bilstein leveling kit, 4.56 gears, lockers, 35s etc. I just sold my hard side camper, and I'm planning on ditching the leveling kit for either a 4.5 or 6" lift. Most likely I'll have Coyote/Phoenix build a custom pop-up, with a Raven as my back-up plan.

Do you have any real complaints about the way the Raven is setup yet? I'd like to see some interior pictures!

FYI the lift blocks and air bags kind of freak me out. I know when I installed 3" blocks on my F150 (replace the factory 2" blocks) I got fed up with axle wrap with the gears, 35s and detroit locker. I had a friend build some custom traction bars and the truck drives so so much nicer. I'm just imagining what it looks like when you step on the throttle, how the blocks on those airbags must be moving back and forth... I'm using firestone air bags, but I'm using the firestone mounts on the axle, just modified with one longer piece. I think with the next camper (it will stay on 95% of the time) I'll eventually have a custom spring pack made.

Yes, I have the 4.56 gearing as well. A must for the 35 inch tires. We really have no complaints about the Raven, except for the table. But you have to realize that our background is strictly a backpacking one, so this is like carrying around a Hilton to us. I was worried about the airbags, but I was surprised at how well they handled the load and we were going down some pretty rough roads. But I am seriously looking at a Raptor before the end of the year.

You have the Supercrew with the 5.5 foot bed? Are you looking at the Phoenix that allows you to close the tailgate, because I think that might be too small of a camper, at least for us.

Interior pics coming.

What a nice first trip! bjw-surprised you have not put custom springs on yet: after all with all the problems I had with the airbags on my F150, it only took me 6 years to put them on-love every minute riding on my $500.00 new springs-truck feel like she's new and purrrs down the freeway on the way to the back country :LOL:! And no new truck
Smoke

What a nice first trip! bjw-surprised you have not put custom springs on yet: after all with all the problems I had with the airbags on my F150, it only took me 6 years to put them on-love every minute riding on my $500.00 new springs-truck feel like she's new and purrrs down the freeway on the way to the back country :LOL:! And no new truck
Smoke

So do you keep the camper on full time? I went with the airbags because I take the camper off when not in use. Would it be a rough ride with the camper off if using springs?

So do you keep the camper on full time? I went with the airbags because I take the camper off when not in use. Would it be a rough ride with the camper off if using springs?

:LOL:
Sure did, that's why I got the FWC-wanted to leave it on all the time, don't really know it's there. I don't think it would, may give you a racy dump like in the kid days, all I know is that my $300 airbags gave me allot of problems (first two years worked fine) and while Less Swabb keep replacing them, I was lucky that the four times they blew out I was near civilization. We did a thread on this subject a couple of months ago, on this subject/and/or should buy a new truck or new springs/airbags-$500.00 vrs $50,000 and I'm sure folks on this site have lot's to say on this subject of springs, airbags, truck length etc, but each truck and situation is different, and airbags may work for you, but not for me, so enjoy what you got and if you start having problems re read those old threads!

enjoy:LOL:

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom