Picking up the new Raven

:LOL:
Sure did, that's why I got the FWC-wanted to leave it on all the time, don't really know it's there. I don't think it would, may give you a racy dump like in the kid days, all I know is that my $300 airbags gave me allot of problems (first two years worked fine) and while Less Swabb keep replacing them, I was lucky that the four times they blew out I was near civilization. We did a thread on this subject a couple of months ago, on this subject/and/or should buy a new truck or new springs/airbags-$500.00 vrs $50,000 and I'm sure folks on this site have lot's to say on this subject of springs, airbags, truck length etc, but each truck and situation is different, and airbags may work for you, but not for me, so enjoy what you got and if you start having problems re read those old threads!

enjoy:LOL:

Smoke

The truck is the only vehicle we have between my wife and I, besides the motorcycles. And we do carry them in the back at times, as well as many other things from Home depot, nursery and other things, which is why we take it off when not in use. Hopefully the airbags won't leave us stranded somewhere.

Congrats on your new Raven and welcome to the Raven owners club. Isn't it nice to have the small footprint?

I'm not looking to have Phoenix build a camper that allows me to close the tailgate. I have sketched out several different custom designs, and think I've finally decided what I want.

My camper would have a 6' exterior floor length (would come to end of bumper), 80" outside width (edge of wheel-wells), and a 60" cabover for an almost standard queen in an east-west config to eliminate the sleeping extension. Basically it would be 2" longer than the Raven, with an extra 12" over the cab, and 3-4" taller as far as I can figure.
The setup I completed in google sketchup is a front dinette config (allows a 75" long, 33" wide single bed downstairs). I have it all drawn up with 2 deeps cycle batteries, 3.8 cuft DC fridge, two 20lb propane tanks, 30 gallons fresh water, 12k btu furnace, tankless water heater, and a couple of other things. Sounds like a lot, but the extra propane tank could be removed for storage/weight, a battery could be pulled, whatever. Having hauled around a hard side a lot, with the jacks installed, heavy frame mounted tie-downs etc, I'm not that concerned about what it will weigh. It should still be less than the hard side.

The hard side I had worked well, it was nice, but it wasn't for us. We spent a lot of time hiking, camping in tents, in the back of the truck under a canopy, et too. It had too much storage and room really, and was too much like RVing I guess...? I was amazed how much extra junk I had in the cabinets when I cleaned it out to sell. It was wide, the jacks stuck out, it was too tall to fit on trails around here, too tall to get any kayak or snowboard on top or anything. We bought a house that has no room for RV storage, so the camper sat at a storage lot, uncovered, for $55/mo. I worried about it rotting being uncovered in the NW rain. So a Phoenix camper would stay on 90-95% of the time. I work a 14 day on/off rotation, and fly to/from work so I only drive the truck 12 days a month at the most. My wife has a car anyway. I would also build a dolly to allow me to roll the camper into the garage when needed.

We just figured out our taxes today too, looks like I'll have the cash for a lift and 5 new wheels and tires! Having only four matching tires with a Detroit locker is never a good thing!

I'm not looking to have Phoenix build a camper that allows me to close the tailgate. I have sketched out several different custom designs, and think I've finally decided what I want.

My camper would have a 6' exterior floor length (would come to end of bumper), 80" outside width (edge of wheel-wells), and a 60" cabover for an almost standard queen in an east-west config to eliminate the sleeping extension. Basically it would be 2" longer than the Raven, with an extra 12" over the cab, and 3-4" taller as far as I can figure.
The setup I completed in google sketchup is a front dinette config (allows a 75" long, 33" wide single bed downstairs). I have it all drawn up with 2 deeps cycle batteries, 3.8 cuft DC fridge, two 20lb propane tanks, 30 gallons fresh water, 12k btu furnace, tankless water heater, and a couple of other things. Sounds like a lot, but the extra propane tank could be removed for storage/weight, a battery could be pulled, whatever. Having hauled around a hard side a lot, with the jacks installed, heavy frame mounted tie-downs etc, I'm not that concerned about what it will weigh. It should still be less than the hard side.

The hard side I had worked well, it was nice, but it wasn't for us. We spent a lot of time hiking, camping in tents, in the back of the truck under a canopy, et too. It had too much storage and room really, and was too much like RVing I guess...? I was amazed how much extra junk I had in the cabinets when I cleaned it out to sell. It was wide, the jacks stuck out, it was too tall to fit on trails around here, too tall to get any kayak or snowboard on top or anything. We bought a house that has no room for RV storage, so the camper sat at a storage lot, uncovered, for $55/mo. I worried about it rotting being uncovered in the NW rain. So a Phoenix camper would stay on 90-95% of the time. I work a 14 day on/off rotation, and fly to/from work so I only drive the truck 12 days a month at the most. My wife has a car anyway. I would also build a dolly to allow me to roll the camper into the garage when needed.

We just figured out our taxes today too, looks like I'll have the cash for a lift and 5 new wheels and tires! Having only four matching tires with a Detroit locker is never a good thing!

Sounds like a great camper design! I'd love to see pics of it when you get it! Your work schedule sounds like mine. It allows for a lot of camping time. I'll probably end up building another garage stall. Yes, we used our tax return on our camper.

Oh, I never paid attention to your user name. Flying for an airline out of sky harbor?
I fly helicopters in the gulf. The 14/14 schedule is great but the wife always has a long list of to-do's by the time I come home!

Oh, I never paid attention to your user name. Flying for an airline out of sky harbor?
I fly helicopters in the gulf. The 14/14 schedule is great but the wife always has a long list of to-do's by the time I come home!

Fly for an airline?....yes. Sky Harbor?...No.

A few interior pics....

Attachments

• IMG_6115.jpg
    IMG_6115.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_6117.jpg
    IMG_6117.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 208
A few interior pics....

Be extra careful with the glass sink and stove tops. I was told that they break real easy, so that's why I didn't order them

Be extra careful with the glass sink and stove tops. I was told that they break real easy, so that's why I didn't order them

Thanks, we will. I wonder what makes them break. They seem pretty thick. At least they passed the Death Valley washboard test! But if they do break, it will be posted on this website.

Congrats! Camper looks great......enjoy. Post up any issues you do have with it. I agree that the glass looks Solid in person, and makes for a way more functional counter space. Bottle opener and towel bar look very nice as well. Thanks for posting your new camper.

I had one of those smev stoves with the glass top in my hard side. Granted I only had it for a year but I never had an issue or concern about breaking it. I will order another one in my next camper too.

Back
Top Bottom