Pin holes in my Pop Up Material?

Ramblinman

While cleaning out my Hawk from my last trip I noticed 2 small holes in the pop material on the two upper front corners of the camper. They are apparently from wear. I am guessing the top has been lifted about 200 times - I have about 120 nights in the camper.

What is everyone doing to maintain the pop up material for maximum life??

What do you guess they are from? Upper corners must be from when the top in down in the travel position.

I know you have the thermal pack, perhaps it is creating too much thickness and causing the wear.

I found a rubbed area, where it appears that the outer blue layer has been rubbed off on the drivers side front. We will have had our 2014 Grandby for 1 year tomorrow. After I lower the top, I go around and lift the roof corners and make sure the siding is tucked in. When we picked up our camper Sean Dempsey showed us how to tuck the material and create a fold. Hopefully this isn't something that is going to get worse.

The fabric on my 2014 Grandby has become discolored black from the strips of rubberized material used to seal the edge of the material. I have used the recommended Aerotech 303 cleaner but it doesn't work to remove the black smears. So far no holes , thankfully. What is the cost of replacing the fabric? What about repairs? Patches?

Thanks for the replies. I seem to remember a post a couple years ago saying that replacing the fabric was a couple thousand dollars.

I had the fabric replaced on my 1985 fleet this July at All Terrain Campers. the cost was $1250 installed. My old fabric was pretty nasty so i am glad to have it gone

For my 2007 Eagle, I thought I had some pin holes as well but it turn out that they weren't. It was just the vinyl coating wearing off and the vinyl become more transparent. I did order vinyl repair kit with FWC. It comes with all sort of different size patches and a bottle vinyl cement. Instead of adding a patch, I took a q tip and gently painted vinyl cement into the creases. When the cement dried, it was barely noticeable.

Use TEAR-AID! Inside and outside the camper. It's clear, comes in different sizes and with alchohol wipes. We've patched up our vinyl a year ago and it still has held up excellent!

10064052.jpg

Ordered up some tear aid just now. My camper is getting to that age where it won't be that unexpected to get a pinhole. As for maintenance I just 303 annually on the outside, once a year on the interior.

Craig....2004 Hawk? Interesting..."303 annually" AND "once a year".... :D

Why are the "pinholes' occurring? Holes just at the flex areas? Material should last a long, long time as with inflatable boats.

Phil

My 01 Hawk's liner had/has a few defects I think would fall into the category of 'pinholes'. Some were due to flexing, some to abrasion, some to a manufacturing issue.

Flexing: One defect was a 1/4" horizontal slit in the liner at the driver-side front corner in the deepest part of the fold that forms when the top is lowered. Three were small holes in each of three lower corners, where the liner meets the hard-side wall and the material bunches a bit there. These are very small tears, two I'd call 'pinhole' in size, the third 'icepick hole' in size. I fixed all these on a nice hot day with an artist's brush and Performix VLP vinyl repair adhesive right out of the tube and then touched them up with a gray permanent marker pen. The VLP seemed to work quite well where the fabric is close together and the VLP can 'melt' it together. But less so where it has to bridge a gap. I tried bridging the largest with very small pieces of Tear-Aid before applying the VLP but the bunching of the fabric made that impractical.

Abrasion: I somehow acquired a new one this Fall out in the middle of the liner, between my driver-side windows. It's not quite through the fabric but I see light. I can't remember doing it but it appears I touched it with a sharp edge as I was moving something. I see a track leading into it.

Manufacturing issue: I have the old-style windows with an external storm flap. When light's just right I see lots of pinholes where the fabric is sewn through. I also see 1/4" horizontal slits up high under the flap, one on each of the velcro strips. I've not noticed any leaks there but painted them (the slits) inside and out with VLP on an artist's brush and touched them up with color so my eye isn't drawn to the light coming through.

-OC

Wandering Coyote said:
Use TEAR-AID! Inside and outside the camper. It's clear, comes in different sizes and with alchohol wipes. We've patched up our vinyl a year ago and it still has held up excellent!

10064052.jpg
This stuff is the only thing holding my vinyl together. Works wonders.

No pinholes yet. I just figure that anything that flexes that much is bound to get some eventually.

Back
Top Bottom