places to stop on the way home

dcsparky

Advanced Member
driving 3000 miles from massachusetts to washington to pick up new camper in late April. Looking for good places to stop on the way home and make a vacation of it.

driving 3000 miles from massachusetts to washington to pick up new camper in late April. Looking for good places to stop on the way home and make a vacation of it.

The trip is on our bucket list so I cannot give much first hand advice. There are the obvious places like Glacier National Park. There have been several positive reviews of Theodore Roosevelt Park given here on WTW. Are you going north or south of the Great Lakes? Just east of Toronto there is very nice park on the Lake. I can get you the name if it is on your route. The park further east, near Belleville is horribly crowded. If you happen to be on I84 in PA and can't quite make it home The Promised Land state park is worth a stop and should be quiet that time of year. Please give a full report when you get home - I hope to learn from you and follow ASAP.
You should also consider an all Canada route but that time of year could be a bit early and you might find many camp grounds closed. Finally, in the US the National Parks are great places to visit but not so great to camp. Usually there is a National Forest near by that will provide much nicer camping at a far nicer price.

If you are taking I90 west/east there are a lot of places to think about along that route. Glacier NP may not be open,but if it is that is a good trip.There are some lakes on the west side near the Canadian border.I stayed at Bowman but I don't think it will be open end of April.Not much in Glacier will be open at that time,but check out the site.
Yellowstone is starting to come to life at that time.The northern area is open year round but only one campground, Mammoth hot springs, open that time of year.Two others may be open on your return trip east,Norris and Madison open the first week of May.You can make a reservation at Madison.It is a nice camp although it is large,but the rivers are right there and lots of animals. It's worth going though.Spring is great all the new born critters are fun to watch.If you are a fisher the season opens later in May I think.
If you have any interest in the Custer battlefield that is a short drive off I90 in the Billings Mont.area.The only "camping" there is at 7th Ranch RV park.We stayed there last October.It's clean and well run,but it's the only thing near the battlefield, about 5 miles away.
East of that also on I90 is the Teddy Roosevelt NP.there are 2 camping areas one at the visitors center area and the other north about an hour or less.This place is definitely worth a stop at least.The entrance off I90 has a nice 35 mile loop drive that gives you a good view of the area and lots of animals.
If you go to my blog sharychic.blogspot.com I have some photos posted from our fall trip.
Hope this info is of some help.
Good luck with your trip planing.
Frank

The trip is on our bucket list so I cannot give much first hand advice. There are the obvious places like Glacier National Park. There have been several positive reviews of Theodore Roosevelt Park given here on WTW. Are you going north or south of the Great Lakes? Just east of Toronto there is very nice park on the Lake. I can get you the name if it is on your route. The park further east, near Belleville is horribly crowded. If you happen to be on I84 in PA and can't quite make it home The Promised Land state park is worth a stop and should be quiet that time of year. Please give a full report when you get home - I hope to learn from you and follow ASAP.
You should also consider an all Canada route but that time of year could be a bit early and you might find many camp grounds closed. Finally, in the US the National Parks are great places to visit but not so great to camp. Usually there is a National Forest near by that will provide much nicer camping at a far nicer price.

going to stick the northern part of the US. would like to hit some of the sites in washingtion and nearby states heading home. This is the beginning of my bucket list. Many more to plan in the future.

My wife wants to hit the rainforest. Possibly jellystone.

If you are going to Chealis to pick it up and you have kids try the great wolf lodge in Ground Mound WA

Kids are out of house, just me and the wife starting our bucket list. looking to see new sites.

going to stick the northern part of the US. would like to hit some of the sites in washingtion and nearby states heading home. This is the beginning of my bucket list. Many more to plan in the future.

My wife wants to hit the rainforest. Possibly jellystone.

I just remembered,Teddy R. NP is on I94 at the Mont./ND state border not I90.
If you need a place to stay in the WY/SD border area.The town of Spearfish,SD has a city park open to camping.It's a nice grassy spot to spend the night.
You might find a lot of the places to do real camping might not be open that time of the year.
A good place to help map out a route and places to stay is DD's campingusa.com"
Frank

Back
Top Bottom