Placing the Order for a Grandby

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!
So after 2 years of of research, I am about to take the plunge and pull the trigger. I have a few loose ends to take care of first. The biggest hurdle is my wife. One moment she is excited and on board and the next she's questioning our age, which by the way is 64. I workout in the gym 4 days a week. I figure I have 12-15 years to enjoy before I head to the pasture. I keep telling her that we will probably be able to sell it for more than we paid for it when the time comes. When we first got married we went camping throughout Wisconsin in a pick-up truck and camper shell. Then kids and sports came and that went away. Part of the reason I'm doing this for the grandkids, ages 5-1/2, 3, and 2-1/2. I want them to enjoy the outdoors like I do. We met with Sean Dempsey for over 3 hours and my wife asked a lot of questions and she seemed to be onboard. When we left I treated her to an overnight in Cedarburg, WI. I thought she was sold. This is where I need your help. Judging from the many reports I have read there seems to be a number of you in your 70's and going strong. Any words of encouragement would be welcomed. I'm sure that there are spouses amongst you who questioned traveling in a pick-up and sleeping in a camper in the beginning and are glad they let you talk them into purchasing a camper. Have at it guys. When I see you on the trails I would be glad to buy a beer.

John

Hello, John,

I turn 65 this month so I'm on board with your thoughts and feelings. If we only knew then what we know now.... .

My wife enjoys camping in our 2500 Chevy 4x4 with utility bed and pop up camper. After camping in tents and the back of a pick up bed shell she's totally sold on the camper. We're on our 4th popup in 30 years of pop up truck camping. She loves going, even just for over-nighters in the desert. Age should not be an issue. In fact, we "Boomers" deserve to do this stuff. We've earned the right. Besides, it keeps us guys off the streets and out of trouble. :D

She may be waffling but forge ahead and get the rig put together. Once you've got it she will give it a try, I promise. She may find that she likes putting together her kitchen, cloths storage, planning the food and stocking the shelves, etc just like my wife does. Then take her someplace you know she will enjoy. Maybe just an easy one or two day trip. It's a great way to relax and enjoy the outdoors.

Hope this helps.

Cliff

My wife and I turn 65 this year. I don't know what the average age of the campers is on this forum but I have a sense there are quite a few older that us and also younger. We enjoy traveling and camping in the ATC camper shell we have (just a couple years under our belts). We have done some cross-country trips and quite a few shorter, close to home weekend type trips. We enjoy them both. Way less expensive than sleeping in hotels and eating in restaurants. Plus you get to see mother nature up close and personal which is priceless to us. You can check out some of our trips in our blog that is referenced in the signature below. Quite a few of the people here report their trips and your wife could get a pretty good idea of the fun times by looking over some of those trip reports. We have run into some grandparents with grandkids and it always looks like the kids are having fun. We are looking forward to that experience but so far our kids haven't cooperated by having their own kids yet. :) Good luck with your deliberations!

I both retired and got my FWC at 62 (just turned 70). Smelling the roses and following my nose is what I do now and there is something about driving down a road, seeing a sign and saying "Let's go see what that is" and not having to worry about hauling a trailer or pitching a tent if I like what I see when I get there-just pop the top and your are home!. One of the major bennies of retirement is having that freedom from having to watch a clock! When you were working you drove by all those signs pointing out places you never have been too before and always wondered what was there; now you have the time -real time "to smell those roses"and a way to do it I spent most of my life in the back country both at work and play as a back packer and truck tent camper and now I have both ice for my drink ,a frig for my food, and both hot water for the dishes and a heater at night. and can stay and play all I want (not just as long as the ice lasts, or subsist on all that wonderful freeze dried food-hmmmm)!

Not that those days were bad, there were not and I miss them more than I act like - it's just that I can't back pack 20 miles to reach that great trout lake or neat place anymore-wish I could but those old knees and back are telling me something else. Maybe a nice camp and a mile walk. So, It now it's just me and the dog out adventuring, in our pop-up, following those signs to adventure-"Wandering the West". So while I do spend time on my rocking chair on my deck at home, now at least I can get out to the back country about half the time, even if I can't walk forever anymore, at least I can sit in my strong back chair, beer in hand, book on the stand with my dog laying at my feet and some great view to look at. As several of us has noted here before, maybe that's where we will end up our days -could be worse ways to go, and my brother in law has all ready said he will come and get the dog if I don't come back! Sorry that almost sounds to serious-I didn't mean that to come out like it did! Get a pop-up and go have some fun!

Smoke

I bought a FWC back in the 90's, used it hard for 10 years, sold it quickly for not much less than it cost me. They have a great resale potential.

Now I have another on order. I'm a tad younger than you and expect to use it at least 10-15 years, probably a lot longer. I think the camper opens up a lot of wonderful opportunities and removes a lot of risk from explorations, since you've always got the basics covered, since they are in the bed of the truck. You can spend your time enjoying the activities you do and the places you visit, not worrying too much about food or accomodations. If you use it a lot the cost per trip gets to be pretty low, since you only eat out if you want to, and only spend $ on entertainment when you want to. A great sunset or sunrise is free.

I recently sold a Bigfoot (read:fancy) truck camper, primarily because I thought the FWC would be better suited to me as I age and slow down. The FWC is easier to maintain, easier to drive, cheaper to drive around, and is less demanding in use. The more I see folks struggling with huge rigs, the more I realize that smaller is better, as long as it has the basics you need covered. For me, the FWC has everything I need and a few luxuries on top.

While much of the emphasis on this site is aimed at four wheeling out into the wilderness and boondocking, plenty of us spend most or all of our nights in more developed campgrounds which may be an issue for someone who has lost her confidence in camping. Having a certain amount of amenities can be important. Think of the National Parks you could see again (or for the first time). With a pop-up you can handle bad weather a whole lot better than most folks and so can avoid the most crowded times

As far as just age goes, we met a European couple (Swiss, I think) while hiking up Mt Rainier last Fall. They were probably mid-60s but they epitomized the "slow and steady wins the race" philosophy of hiking and became my heroes as they just kept going and going up the mountainside. If your health is good, you can do it too.

Good luck,

Alan

Mr. longhorn1, many members here have already answered from a more knowledgeable viewpoint than I can offer. There is nothing like falling asleep and waking up in the outdoors, whether that is in the middle of nowhere or your local park. I know your wife loves those grandkids and this is all meant to have fun and adventures as a family. I suspect your wife is just a bit apprehensive about a new form of camping.Take it easy and slow, listen and anticipate what both your wife's and grandkids needs will be, and things will fall in place. Age is only attitude and staying active keeps us all young. Buy all the others a beer..................we will politely decline. Best of luck. :)

I just bought the 2013 Hawk fairly loaded, haven't used it that much yet but when I do it's pretty darn nice. You will love it,it's so well designed you'll think your camping in a much larger area. I would strongly suggest you get the outside struts it will make it much eaiser to open.I've got the 80# inside struts and am switching to the double outside ones. The inside ones don't really get in the way much but at night getting out of bed is a little tricky getting your head under the wide part of the struts especially at our age ( I'm 67) were a little stiffer than the kids and with the front dinette set it makes it real nice getting out of bed( just put the table down before bedtime). As far as age I was hiking in the Sierra's and took on a pretty good mountain, was patting myself on the back for a job well done even though I was a huffing and a puffing when I looked up the mountain and a group of 80 year old ladies were coming down! With big smiles on their faces.Seriously,quite inspirational .Happy Camping!

I'll be starting into year 67 this soon, and we just purchased our Grandby in December. Our shakedown was three plus weeks in March and April. My only complaint is that we took too much gear. We started out with the mantra "There are stores, you don't need to take it all." Then, we crammed everything in, on and under the poor camper. So, just remember... There are stores!

I bought a used Ranger II last year. I'm 65. I expect to have use of it for another 15 years. Don't let your age set you back in your decision. I had an old friend in Vancouver (Canada) who did her last drive to Alaska when she was 89 and thereafter limited herself to trips into the Interior of British Columbia. But she still enjoyed her time camping for her remaining 5 years.

Ski3pin has a quote of Abe LIncoln that we all should heed.

Enjoy your Grandby and give your grandkids some fine memories.

these stories are inspirational to me. I always figure I had another ten years before I'd want to go to a trailer. Looks like like barring injury I should go far past that. I met a lady at the rally, reminded me of my mom (age wise) and it was her first pop up camper and she loved it.

camelracer said:
Oh to be 64 again!
This is perhaps the best reply. Its your state of mind and of course your physical limitations that should guide your decision not your birthday. If the little lady has one ounce of adventure left in her, then talk her into it. At the rally I met quite a few people around your age loving life and their camper. The truth is at any age we never know when are last adventure will be. I don't own one yet and I won't be retired for some time but having this toy and being retired seem to be the perfect combination.
And lastly, and this is the cherry on the sundae, those grandchildren !! You and your wife have an opportunity to expose the little guys to an exhilarating way to experience nature and you'll create memories for them and yourselves that will last a lifetime.

4-5 weeks until arrival. Just fabricated the "X" supports to set the camper on when off the truck, Having 22ga galvanized tie-down flanges made by a roofing contractor that our company works with, 12" to slide under the base 3/4" plywood and a vertical 3" leg hemmed back on itself to give double thickness and punched every 12" to secure bungy cords. The weight of the camper keeping the flanges securely in place. I made the "X" supports 30" so there will be very little raising or lower of the camper when removing or installing the camper. I will get some photos when I store the camper. Also, I have some 2' x 8' panels of Dow Styrafoam insulation to set on the roof, under the tarps, to protect against hail when being stored.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new camper Longhorn. I'm going to wait till your report on the portable ac unit before I order mine. If it works good, then I won't be ordering the expensive window unit option

Back
Top Bottom