Planning a trip into S/E Oregon,ID & WA

firemen7

We are heading into Eastern Oregon, up the Snake into Idaho and then over into Washington. Mt. Rainier and the Olympic NP are some of the places in Washington we would like to visit. In Oregon we are going to the Alvrod Desert and then into Leslie Gulch. We were thinking of going into Hells Canyon prior to heading into Idaho.
Never doing this trip before we are open to suggestions, places of interest & great sites... We have been to Mt. Rainier and the Olympic in the 90's and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Come up through NE California and go to the Charles Sheldon and Hart Mt antelope refuges. In addition to the Alvord, spend some time at Steens Mt before going over to the Owyhee. Succor creek has a good reputation, too.

In Washington I recommend skipping Mt Rainier. Beautiful but LOTS of people. Recommend instead going across the Cascades on Highway 20 (North Cacades Highway). Explore Harts Pass near Mazama. Also, Highway 542 going up Mt Baker is awesome and much fewer people than Rainier. If you go to Olympics, recommend stopping at the National Park Office in Port Angeles, then continue into the Park. You can stay at very nice campground called Heart of HIlls and go up to higher elevation to Hurricane Ridge.

If you came down from the mountains on Highway 20, you could proceed towards Anacortes and go to Whidbey Island on HW20. Then, in the middle of the Island, take the Ferry to Port Townsend. You can camp right by the harbor in P. Townsend, or go out to the lighthouse and camp. From Port Townsend, continue to Port Angles.

Just a 'few' ideas. Chris

Ummm, don't know how it is now but we were in Idaho in early August and after a week fighting constant vista-obscuring smoke were going to retreat to one our favorite bird-watching meccas- Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Fortunately I called first and the girl said, "Smoke? Well, I couldn't see Steens Mountain on my way in to work today." We gave up and had a great time in monsoon drenched Northern Colorado.

Seriously, check on the current smoke and air quality before you go. (I understand SW Oregon is even worse now.) Most of us are there at least partly to see the views....

We left boise about 5 days ago. Hot and miss on the smoke but it's been very bad for a while. Good suggestion on checking. If you've not been to idaho there is so much to do and see. I'm not sure what if recommend but red fish lake is great. Not terribly far off the interstate.

Thanks Durango1 and kmcintyre,
We are planning the trip for the last week of Sept and the first week of Oct. I am hoping the fires will calm down by then. I check fire weather and fire status on a daily basis.

This is great information and am checking the maps for the locations

The Alvord is absolutely stunning.

Be sure fill up with gas/fuel before heading to Fields and top off at the General Store in Fields. Ask for Woody at the General Store. No one has more local knowledge on the condition of the Playa then Woody. Become a quick study on reading the Playa. You do NOT want to get into the wet spots!!!

The hot springs north of Fields is worth a visit. You can also camp in their parking lot for a nominal fee.

2017-05-17_06.04.07.jpg

Alvord Hot Springs. May 17, 2017 70MPH winds the night before. Camper did fine, but, we didn't get much sleep.

2017-05-17_12.47.43.jpg

On the Playa later that day. Just went onto the Playa a little ways to test traction. Slicker than whale snot!

2017-05-19_10.32.20.jpg

2 days later. In the low 80s and dry on the south end of the Playa. But still very wet to the north. We couldn't get to the north end of the Playa due to standing water.

Idaho is a great adventure as well. I've only camped in ID off my motorcycle.

Advmoto18,

Thanks for the info, looking at your pictures I'm certain we will enjoy ourselves. This stop will be day two of our travels and we were planning on at least one night in this area, however, it may turn into two nights and three days of exploring

Thanks MDR,
As we continue to plan for our travels, I'm thinking we will probably spend more time in the Steens area than originally planned. We have not been in this part of Oregon so we are looking forward to the exploration and adventures.

I hope you post up about your trip. I'm especially interested in the Oregon part, as that is the area I'd like to explore next. Good luck!

62C20
I'll post a trip report. My coworker worked for the City of Astoria, Oregon and has pointed out a route in the Alvord desert region, that along with the post for the Steens area, i'm certain we will be doing heavy exploring in Eastern OR.

We will probably cut the Idaho and Washington portion out do to a family illness in the Eugene area.

From Fields you could go up towards Caimbridge, ID and then drop down into Brownlee and Hell's Canyon from there a number of different ways exist to exit out through Oregon but going north on FS roads through Joseph and Enterprise is pretty spectacular, also take you near the Hell's Canyon Overlook.

Another option would be heading towards McCall, ID and from there dropping down to Riggins along the Salmon River. Upstream from Riggins a little ways is Short's Bar a large camping area popular with hunters and fisherpeople. If you take this option you're committed to going up to Lewiston or backtracking but from there you can go south along the Snake and up to Enterprise and then on towards LaGrande.

Lots of options, all with their own charm.

Cayuse,
Thanks, this is what i was looking for in that area, I have a cousin in the Joseph area and we were looking for a travel route. The Hell's Canyon region is marked for exploration on this trip.

I am looking at the map to plot our routes.

You guys could have and interesting trip, because the weather here (NE Ca/NW Nevada) just changed from summer to winter overnight. Like where is Fall-even if today is the first official day of fall, the trees have not changed color! One day in the 80's next in the 50/60's with lows in the 30's and 40's and snow in the high country. By the end of the week its supposed to be in the mid 70's again. Well it went from Winter to summer with no Spring, so it's only fair to go from summer to winter with no fall. I have had to start a fire the last two nights, so you guys better keep tabs on the local weather picture. Anyway, fall is the best time to travel in this country-those hot springs (ask for directions at Fields)in the Sheldon and central Oregon are going to feel mighty nice!

Smoke

Thanks Smoke,
We just finished packing the camper, the last item I put in were the tire chains and the flat shovel instead of the round point. We'll bust out of here in the early AM, so I'll check the weather once again.

I really enjoy the Fall season and the cooler nights, however, I wonder what the Alvord will be like, we've never traveled that part of Oregon so it will be a new adventure.

Thanks All for the ideas and routes, We'll update you when we get home.

Back
Top Bottom