Plasti Dip Roof?

badtoytrd

VA...for hopefully a short period of time...with W
I may be setting myself up to get hammered here but I am in the beginning stages of conducting my spring maintenance. I have fought some minor leaks since buying a used Fleet. I believe one of the major issues was the aluminum roof rack FWC installed. I removed that last spring and filled the holes with JB Weld and 5200 which solved most of the problem. I also believe that the rubber weather strip along the front and sides has been smashed over the years so I am going to insert some backer rod to give it some shape again. All of that being said I am wondering if anyone has used Plasti Dip to paint there roof. In theory, it should work well at sealing everything as it is a "rubber" paint. I would love to hear your thoughts.

If I was looking to coat my aluminum roof I would look for something specifically designed for coating aluminum roofs. Plasti Dip is for coating tool handles isn't it?

DanoT said:
If I was looking to coat my aluminum roof I would look for something specifically designed for coating aluminum roofs. Plasti Dip is for coating tool handles isn't it?
Technically yes but they have a sprayable form now. I painted my wife's car wheels and my rear bumper with it at it has held up awesome. If you don't like it or damage it you can peel it off. Check out dipyourcar.com. People are painting whole cars with it.

There are threads on here somewhere about people coating with Herculiner(sp), Grizzly Grip, Henry's and the like, but I think you're the first to mention Plasti Dip. Like you wrote, people are doing whole cars with it so why not? The thing that I don't know about is getting it to cover/seal good over the protrusions like the roof screws if your unit is older and has a screwed down roof. I suppose before someone was to go all in, get the small can and brush or roller some on a test spot to see if it adheres and covers well. I'm kinda curious about this. If you try it let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck.

Yeah, I used the Henry's tropicool and I'm satisfied with the results. Its meant for this application and has a lifetime warranty. I doubt plasti dip is going to have that. Pricey though.
https://us.henry.com/roofing/reflective-coatings/white-roof-coatings/887-tropi-cool-100-silicone-white-roof-coating

Regardless, as I learned the hard way, its a messy process. I was expecting that but still, it was a bit more than I planned on. Use tarps on the ground, wear a paper coverall and don't forget the gloves.

My thread on it. Pics didn't survive :( http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/14333-well-i-coated-the-roof/?hl=henry%26%2339%3Bs

I have posted several times about using Raptor to paint/seal my roof about 10 years ago. It is the only way IMO. Cost about $100/gal color matched back then and came with the gun. 100% sealed and dirt washes right off. Takes longer to mask everything then it does to apply.

cwd

Are any of the bed liner products available in white? I looked at a couple and it seems they are dark or black.

I would be concerned about the dark color on the roof absorbing heat.

It seems to me that white (or at least a very light color) would be strongly preferred if not mandatory (unless you have an air conditioner in your camper or never use it in warmer/hot seasons).

Craig

Craig, I don't know about all of them. but Raptor is available matched to just about any color you want. I had mine matched to the factor beige on my mid 90's FWC. Can't tell the difference.

cwd

cwdtmmrs said:
Why would you even consider a roof leak fix that wasn't permanent?

cwd
I was thinking more of the paint being not permanent but that is a very good question when considering what to use. Can you tell me if it came out smooth or textured (like rough bed liner)? You are definitely pushing me toward the Raptor and calling it done. I ordered some Durabak for the underside of the camper so I may see how that turns out and order some of that in white because they sell a smooth texture version. We will see but I like where you are pushing me.

Dura Bak is exactly the same thing as Herculiner. It has ground up car tires in it. it's called rubber crumb. Works well in where you need high traction. But bump up against it and it'll take the hide right off of you. I have a nice scar on my shin to prove it.

If you go to the Monsta liner site I posted they have a page where they show the info on most every DIY bedliner out there.

Monsta is a lot like thickened paint. It has a texture that's provided by the roller or a shutz spray gun. They provide different textures.
No rubber crumb in this stuff. It has a texture like an orange peel mostly.

I'm going to use it to "paint" the body of my trail truck. Lot's of folks have done this. Here are a couple of links with pictures and info.

These folks were the initial testers for the product.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-875162/

Picture thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/monstaliner-interiors-exteriors-1376308/

Because of the Photo Bucket fiasco I'd start on the last page of these threads and work backwards.

I have no affiliation just like the stuff.

Squatch said:
Dura Bak is exactly the same thing as Herculiner. It has ground up car tires in it. it's called rubber crumb. Works well in where you need high traction. But bump up against it and it'll take the hide right off of you. I have a nice scar on my shin to prove it.
It looks like Durabak offers a "smooth" option now. I ordered some for the underside of my Fleet and will test on some scrap plywood once it arrives and report back.

^ smooth would be best for white. I used mobile coat applied with a roller and the dried nap finish holds dirt unlike the factory smooth baked finish. Drag a branch over it and there will be a bark streak. Works and was easy to put on tho ...

Raptor will leave a pebble finish for sure. Not like a bed liner per se, but a definite pebble. Since my older FWC had the old corrugated roof with a pebble finish anyway, that is what I opted for. It does hold the dirt, but it doesn't stick. Washes right off with a hose.

I used Dura Bak on my Jeep. Works well IF you properly prep the surface. I had some extra and covered some unprepped surfaces. Peels off those after a while.

Another option if you'd rather have someone else get messy http://rv-armor.com/index.html

craig333 said:
Another option if you'd rather have someone else get messy http://rv-armor.com/index.html
Had to laugh at the video, not due to the quality of the product, but the fact that they said they will come to you to install it... even in the campground you are staying in.
Wouldn't that be something if your neighbour was getting their RV roof coated right next to where you are camping :)

cwdtmmrs said:
Raptor will leave a pebble finish for sure. Not like a bed liner per se, but a definite pebble. Since my older FWC had the old corrugated roof with a pebble finish anyway, that is what I opted for. It does hold the dirt, but it doesn't stick. Washes right off with a hose.
Mobile coat is elastomeric so that might be the difference. Do the bed liner type products have a hard finish, could you imprint your finger nail in them ?

Back
Top Bottom