Please help me decide on which GVW to order...

Durango1

Hopefully you folks can tolerate one more question on my projected 2018 Ram 3500 SRW Chassis Cab order! I've already got a new FWC Grandby flatbed ordered for it and yes, we travel "heavy"! I'm guessing with all our crap, extra water, etc we'll be at a 3,000 pound plus payload. So here's the deal...

Evidently I can order the Ram with a GVWR of 10,000...payload of 3830# OR a GVWR if 11,000...payload of 4830#. I lean toward the higher payload but...

A) Am I going to have legal issues being over 10,000# and entry stations? I don't want to have to "weigh in" at each state we come to...

:cool: Will the higher payload translate into a substantially rougher ride loaded? (I don't really know what the ride will be like on a "loaded" one ton truck.) The Grandby will be bolted on permanently so as Sioux says it really isn't a pickup- it is a "go anywhere RV"!

Many thanks!

steve

Hello Durango1
I do not believe that commercial weight stations, want to see non commercial vehicles. Your talking a difference of
1K lbs. I’d check your state registration fees, otherwise bigger is better. Right.
We have F250 with a gvwr of 10,000. ATC cougar in the factory bed. Close to max rides fine we travel medium with stuff.
Russ

I've always bought the most truck I could get. As mentioned, unless there's a substantial registration penalty for the higher capacity rig I see no reason to get the lessor truck. Granted, the whole thing maybe just a paper exercise but it's worth having the full capacity as you never know what you might do down the road. You also won't be needing to pull into a weigh station as you're not commercial as been mentioned. Good luck with the new rig. Love that new truck smell. :)

Three things to check on and concider:
  • Some state laws require any vehicle or vehicle/trailer combination over 10,000 lbs. GVWR to stop at weigh stations (Minnesota is one). Don't know how hard it is enforced but it is on the books. http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/weigh-stations/
  • Some states push vehicles over 10,000 lbs. to commercial plates (Minnesota again).
  • Some insurance companies treat vehicles over 10,000 lbs. differently than those under.
jim

Steve you know my position on GVWR subject ;)

Don't know much about RAMs but I don't be surprised if the rear spring pack (and therefore ride) is identical for the two GVWs seeing as both are prob very low volume units and it's only a 1K difference.

Re scales, I suggest you be compliant in your own jurisdiction. I made the effort to be 10kgs under the 5500kg Licensed GWV threshold here in BC (all vehicles over required to report to scales). If I lived in the Western US I'd check into CA requirements for flatbeds as that state would be on my visit list. fwiw I believe all PUs 11,5000lbs and over must report in CA.

Glad scale reporting is your last concern - where it belongs on the list of worries IMO.

Enjoy your RAM !

So here's where the rubber hits the road. There are multiple states where the law specifies a weight that would require virtually anything towing a travel trailer or fifth wheel as well as carrying a TC to stop at the weigh stations. I have towed or carried in virtually every state on the list in all varieties of RV and never stopped or considered stopping one time. Nor did I see any other non-commercial traffic in the weigh station.

Does anyone here stop? Has anyone ever been pulled over for an issue related to weigh that was not a commercial hauler? More simply put I guess, are these laws ever enforced for non-commercial operators? I know patrol has the legal right to stop you, but do they? :unsure:

Durango1 said:
Hopefully you folks can tolerate one more question on my projected 2018 Ram 3500 SRW Chassis Cab order! I've already got a new FWC Grandby flatbed ordered for it and yes, we travel "heavy"! I'm guessing with all our crap, extra water, etc we'll be at a 3,000 pound plus payload. So here's the deal...

Evidently I can order the Ram with a GVWR of 10,000...payload of 3830# OR a GVWR if 11,000...payload of 4830#. I lean toward the higher payload but...

A) Am I going to have legal issues being over 10,000# and entry stations? I don't want to have to "weigh in" at each state we come to...

:cool: Will the higher payload translate into a substantially rougher ride loaded? (I don't really know what the ride will be like on a "loaded" one ton truck.) The Grandby will be bolted on permanently so as Sioux says it really isn't a pickup- it is a "go anywhere RV"!

Many thanks!

steve
Having a 16 ram 3500 DRW, it rides nice once there's at least 1500lbs on it. Then it smooths out nicely. And at 3k+ I'd consider air ride if it's an option on the chassis cab

Timothy McGowen said:
In California all pick-ups are registered as commercial but are exempt from the weigh stations.
If you have a camper shell or camper (popup) on the truck you can register it non-commercial and save the weight fee. However, if you remove the shell/camper you will need to register commercial and pay the weight fee. I have a Tundra with an ATC Ocelot on permanently and it is registered with regular passenger plates & no weight fee.

Durango1 said:

Many thanks!

steve
Hey Steve,

I have a Ram 3500 Chassis Cab SRW with flatbed FWC. At the scales, fully loaded with two people and dog I weighed 12k (max weight for the SRW), but still safe for tire ratings at least. The weight adds up quick!

I need to put a custom spring pack, it can't handle the weight (I have extended helper bump stops to help).

I would get a 4500 if I had todo it again, but that would complicate and make my lift/tires much more expensive. But then again the 3500 DRW can handle 15k on the same truck with DRW, so truck can take it I guess. The truck has plenty of power, stops fine and handles great, glad it has the exhaust brake...

barkerco said:
Hey Steve,

I have a Ram 3500 Chassis Cab SRW with flatbed FWC. At the scales, fully loaded with two people and dog I weighed 12k (max weight for the SRW), but still safe for tire ratings at least. The weight adds up quick!

I need to put a custom spring pack, it can't handle the weight (I have extended helper bump stops to help).

I would get a 4500 if I had todo it again, but that would complicate and make my lift/tires much more expensive. But then again the 3500 DRW can handle 15k on the same truck with DRW, so truck can take it I guess. The truck has plenty of power, stops fine and handles great, glad it has the exhaust brake...
12K? And I thought I traveled heavy! Thanks for the input!

BTW, everyone, I went for the 11,000# GVW Ram 3500. Delivery sometime in March...

Of course, with this info from barkerco I'm now officially worried that I'll "only" have a 4800# payload! :)

RickD said:
If you have a camper shell or camper (popup) on the truck you can register it non-commercial and save the weight fee. However, if you remove the shell/camper you will need to register commercial and pay the weight fee. I have a Tundra with an ATC Ocelot on permanently and it is registered with regular passenger plates & no weight fee.
This is the route fwd if available in the OP's State. Eliminates the whole commercial question as well as, at least in KA, any consideration about the GVW.

I'd go with the higher GVW, if only for the likely bigger, better brakes.

Durango1 said:
12K? And I thought I traveled heavy! Thanks for the input!

BTW, everyone, I went for the 11,000# GVW Ram 3500. Delivery sometime in March...

Of course, with this info from barkerco I'm now officially worried that I'll "only" have a 4800# payload! :)
Haha. I travel somewhat light and it sure does add up quickly.

I weighed the chassis cab truck stock- naked frame rails. It was 8,420lbs; with 74 gallons of fuel, myself and dog (let's say 250# occupants). That 52 gallons of fuel out back is a lot of weight. I have the dual tanks, so another 22 gallon side tank, about 513# total fuel. And there's 9 gallons of DEF, 81#. So now we "only" have 3,580# left.

She was then 11,440# with flatbed and camper installed, wet. I think I had spare tire and don't remember what else (again me and the dog). So it looks like the camper and flatbed are about 2,770# (minus 250# for me and dog).

12,080# with AEV lift, 37" tires, full spare, recovery gear, safe jack, winch, camping gear, folding table, ground tarp, BBQ, stove, (3) batteries, additional 20 gallon water tank, spare propane tank, etc. and two people and dog.

I need to go weigh F/R axle and then get some custom spring packs made. It does okay, but bottoms out every now and then. Don't like the lift blocks anyway.

You'll probably need the torklift stable load bump stops, which will grab the helper spring sooner and help level the truck out.

I wouldn't worry about the numbers, it does fine. There are trucks with those huge Lance slide in campers that have to be more than our setup (not to mention the center of gravity). I think if you order the 10, 11 or 12k truck, they are all the same, just the sticker. Look at those trucks in India and such that are way overloaded.

Can't wait to see your setup. Have fun!

RickD said:
Good point.

Steve, make sure you register your chassis cab as an RV at the dealer. I tried to do it after and DMV won't do it because I don't have the Title and it says otherwise. So, in California I have to pay big bucks for DMV and insurance until I can pay this thing off and get the title and change...

Durango1, per above, it's prob worth a few phone calls to check into the RV angle but I suggest you do it before taking delivery at the dealer.

Different jurisdictions of course but mine was first reg'd as a C&C (it clearly wasn't anything else) then went to the body builder/upfitter then was licensed and re-registered after the body style, wt etc was confirmed - you might want the camper on as well... tip: all this was not something the average mall insur agent was knowledgeable about.

As for payload, at 4,800lbs I think you'll will be okay (as I'm sure do you) but I don't be surprised if you use 4K of that (I could do that easy).

barkerco, thanks for the numbers. You're right about how quickly they can add up. I'm with you on the class 4 but, alas, the wheel conversion issue stopped me at the time I bought. Think it's easier/more available now.

Lucky you that RAM found the extra payload capacity for the diesel models and offered dual tanks - sweet !

This amazes me seeing these numbers. Stock everything, 1/2 tank (~17.5 gals) our 3/4t 12 valve CTD weighed 6480 lbs. With camper loaded as per usual on 315/70R17's w/ full size spare and spare carrier the dump said it weighed just at 9100 lbs. I guess it's a good thing we carry a light tea pot or we'd be really heavy...

Thanks for all the advice. I need to do some research with the CO DMV. Truck won't be here till mid-March at the earliest.

Meanwhile, I'll be working on designing my "dream aluminum flatbed"... :)

Back
Top Bottom