Please help me decide on which GVW to order...

The Norweld aluminum tray beds are pretty nice and available at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel campers there in your home state. Ron

nikonron said:
The Norweld aluminum tray beds are pretty nice and available at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel campers there in your home state. Ron
True, Ron. But on my 2015 Hawk flatbed build I found a local fabricator that does great custom work and will let me add in little design tweaks.

ntsqd said:
This amazes me seeing these numbers. Stock everything, 1/2 tank (~17.5 gals) our 3/4t 12 valve CTD weighed 6480 lbs. With camper loaded as per usual on 315/70R17's w/ full size spare and spare carrier the dump said it weighed just at 9100 lbs. I guess it's a good thing we carry a light tea pot or we'd be really heavy...
Agreed, it's nuts. But for me, I'm including the camper deck (est 650#), full aux fuel tank, 2nd spare tire and a mounted winch. That's 1300# on top of your 2620, so not far from 4,000#. And I'm including passengers but not counting extra: recovery (for winch or tire chains) or water or batteries or bikes or boats or outdoor patio cooking or whatever.

And the kicker is these are prob the lightest base campers out there. How it's done with a bigger camper or a smaller truck IDK (actually I do, they carry less stuff :giggle: ) Different strokes I guess ...

Durango1 said:
True, Ron. But on my 2015 Hawk flatbed build I found a local fabricator that does great custom work and will let me add in little design tweaks.
Howdy - I'm getting an aluminum flatbed made right now for a 2017 F350 4x4 regular cab gasser that I just bought. I'm putting a flatbed Hawk on it and using the rest of the 8' flatbed for an aluminum backpack box (sits between the Hawk and front of the flatbed).

I'm interested in what your little design "tweaks" will be. I've added a 30 gallon water tank to the backpack box on the driver's side and an ARB sliding out tray for a 52L ARB fridge on the passenger side - the rest of the box will hold camp chairs etc.

So what are your cool mods going to be?

klahanie said:
Agreed, it's nuts. But for me, I'm including the camper deck (est 650#), full aux fuel tank, 2nd spare tire and a mounted winch. That's 1300# on top of your 2620, so not far from 4,000#. And I'm including passengers but not counting extra: recovery (for winch or tire chains) or water or batteries or bikes or boats or outdoor patio cooking or whatever.

And the kicker is these are prob the lightest base campers out there. How it's done with a bigger camper or a smaller truck IDK (actually I do, they carry less stuff :giggle: ) Different strokes I guess ...
It was kinda funny one trip. I don't think that we carry needless stuff, but camping with Mom & step-dad in their Roadtrek, and Sis & BIL in their Sprinter based Class C and whenever someone needed something a little unusual we had it. Mom even peaked in at one point wondering where we fit it all. They both have way more storage than we do, but must be less well organized or something.

paddlesurf.net said:
Howdy - I'm getting an aluminum flatbed made right now for a 2017 F350 4x4 regular cab gasser that I just bought. I'm putting a flatbed Hawk on it and using the rest of the 8' flatbed for an aluminum backpack box (sits between the Hawk and front of the flatbed).

I'm interested in what your little design "tweaks" will be. I've added a 30 gallon water tank to the backpack box on the driver's side and an ARB sliding out tray for a 52L ARB fridge on the passenger side - the rest of the box will hold camp chairs etc.

So what are your cool mods going to be?
Not sure my ideas are anything special. Since the bed will be 110" long (rails are 112" in the chassis cab) we'll have the boxes behind the cab be 36" long and the after wheel boxes 24". plus will have a 'shovel box' running the full length under the bed 28" wide by 6" high. Huge a amount of stuff can be stored there. (And it is nice an low for weight distribution.)

Back
Top Bottom