Polar Cub - What is it?

John D

I salvaged this Polar Cub years ago. Obviously, it is a sleek swamp cooler. It has design. It needs a complete rebuild. It is light in weight and could be mounted on the roof of an ATC. I can find nothing about a Coleman Polar Cub on the internet. I wonder if it would work? What do you think? Anyone?

Attachments

• Polar Cub1.JPG
    Polar Cub1.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 977
  • Polar Cub2.JPG
    Polar Cub2.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 925
  • Polar Cub3.JPG
    Polar Cub3.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 913
  • Polar Cub4.JPG
    Polar Cub4.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 957
your old unit looks quite a bit different from the new models.

we use the Coleman Polar Cub air conditioners these days on our Six-Pac Cab-over campers.

they seem to work great, not too expensive, and are low profile.

but I think the web site is a bit misleading because they list the amp draw, instead of listing how many watts it uses.

I have not seen anyone able to run these off of 12v batteries (like a 12v swap cooler).

You would need 110v/120v electricity to run one of these for any extended period of time.

We usually recommend at least a 2000 watt generator to power the Coleman Polar Cub air conditioner.

The new units are pretty heavy too -- adding 90 lbs. to the roof weight of the FWC or ATC campers will make the roof pretty hard to raise without some sort of "roof lift assist".

I have seen one or two campers with a roof mounted air conditioner, but not very often.

hope this helps

Attachments

• air conditioner on four wheel.jpg
    air conditioner on four wheel.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 838
This old Polar Cub swamp cooler that I salvaged years ago weighs 28 pounds, it runs on 12 volts, and it is streamlined for better gas milage. The technology is different from the late model Polar Cub air conditioner referenced above. The original question was in connection with locating those who has used a roof top swamp cooler on a camper, and more specifically, one like the old model Polar Cub. If it works, evaporative technology seems appropriate for our minimalist campers. I imagine some ATC/FWC owners might want Coleman or someone else to reintroduce such a device.

you might want to check this current thread out (see link below)

they are talking about the swamp coolers on the FWC / ATC campers

(just scroll down a few lines to get to the swamp cooler links)

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055

========================================================

This old Polar Cub swamp cooler that I salvaged years ago weighs 28 pounds, it runs on 12 volts, and it is streamlined for better gas milage. The technology is different from the late model Polar Cub air conditioner referenced above. The original question was in connection with locating those who has used a roof top swamp cooler on a camper, and more specifically, one like the old model Polar Cub. If it works, evaporative technology seems appropriate for our minimalist campers. I imagine some ATC/FWC owners might want Coleman or someone else to reintroduce such a device.

I dont believe thats a swamp cooler

where do you put the water?

that looks like a three speed revesable power fan

Back
Top Bottom