pondering a new camper

Greatbasinguide

Advanced Member
I have used a Palomino Bronco for years on my long bed F250. It has all the bells and whistles I like, hot water, furnace, frig, stove top, shower, toilet. I spend time fixing it, that 2x2 construction does not hold up well on forest and ranch roads. However, the big issue for me is climbing into the cabover bunk. I am an old man and the gymnastics required are annoying, especially with a 3:00 AM call of nature!
I am beginning the search for another camper. A camper that will sleep two comfortably, easy access to the bunk. And most of the bells and whistles I currently have.
I see prices for campers have gone through the roof! I think a budget of no more than $15,000 for a pre owned camper is reasonable..
I am open to suggestions,
Thanks,
Richard

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpeg
    IMG_3851.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 26
Is it time to consider a travel trailer? I’m a proponent of the fiberglass models. We have an Oliver, which I am fond of. The Escape out of BC is another that I would consider.

Some folks here keep “stuff” in the cab over section and sleep in the kitchenette bed area to avoid the gymnastics. Other than that, I would agree with WS, you need a unit without a cab over section = trailer.

Some folks here keep “stuff” in the cab over section and sleep in the kitchenette bed area to avoid the gymnastics. Other than that, I would agree with WS, you need a unit without a cab over section = trailer.
I tow a horse trailer, a trailer would not work for me, but thank you for the suggestion. I saw a Northstar camper that had easy access to the cab over bunk, it was deluxe camper out of my price range. Thank you for your suggestion

I wonder if it might be easier to try to make a stairway or ladder you put in place at night that helps you get in and out of the cabover bed safely and more easily. That probably only could work if your toilet enclosure is at the rear of the camper, though. It would save you a lot of money if you could figure out how to stick with your Palomino.

I have a FWC Grandby with the bed down across the front for the same reason as you state (my build is in my signature). The twin bed takes up about 40% of the 8' floor space; you could go narrower.

If you can build/modify yourself a couple of options come to mind:

Modify your camper to sleep down. If you are traveling with companion they sleep up. You could make the bed fold up when not in use to give more floor space and access to whatever is stored under the bed.

Make a table/bed conversion like NCO Alaskan's have.

Buy a used FWC/ATC camper and build it the way you want. I bought a 1977 Grandby, gutted it, and built what I wanted; total cost ~$4000.

You could do a build with a larger horse trailer.

Supertramp has a really nice camper. Also have you looked at some of the Hallmark options ? They have some with really big dinette beds. I think there might be some with bunk options. (I thought they had one with a pop-out bed option but I can't find it on their website.(It is too heavy for my truck)

Cube series campers are neat as well. I think this would solve your getting up in a a cab over bed - Ultra-Lightweight Camper Design | QB Camper | Cube Series - you do lose some space but they are very cool and they are hard sided pop ups. I hope this helped.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom