Portable Air Condioner in your FWC?

Bombsight

Are any of you guys using a portable (Bush league) AC unit in your FWC?

I'm just wondering where (if I have to stoop so low) those of you who are using one vent the outflow to.

Where does one position it when using it? On the floor?

I can only see two places to vent it. Out the rear door or out the winow.

Has anyone went so far as to cut a hole in the side specifically for this?

What kind are you using?

Does it EVER get hot when Wondering the West? I cant find anything on the matter.

Thanks

Not familiar with these units but could you vent it out one of the turnbuckle access doors?

And no, it doesn't get SE Texas hot AND humid Wandering the West. In Summer I think most of us head to the mountains or the coast and save the deserts for the other months. I prefer to spend Summer at home mostly and travel the rest of the year when the crowds are down.

Alan

I think I saw an example of someone venting out through the turnbuckle door. The difference between East and West is humidity. Our hot doesn't feel as hot as your hot. But believe me, it still can get plenty hot here.

Generally even if it is hot we still cool off in the evenings. I think I'd just vent out the window.

craig333 said:
I think I'd just vent out the window.
Thats my thought .... but I dont think the exhust hose is long enough on most models to reach the windows.

Ideally, the unit would sit on the floor, against the door, facing forward. If there was a way to vent it through the door with it closed, I think it would be best.

Anyone have a photo of these "turnbuckle" doors?

P1010207.jpg

Not specifically a picture of the door, but the one on my Eagle that is closest to the back door and easiest to get to is in the red circle in this photo.

This is what I use.

http://www.compactappliance.com/Koldfront-7000-BTU-Slim-Design-Portable-Air-Conditioner-White/PAC701W.html

I run the exhaust hose out my turnkbuckle door through a piece of roofing material with the hole for the exhaust and a small one for a hose. You don't need the hose, but I decided to use it for the condensation even though there is a dehumidifier in the unit that evaporates. Check my blog and the McCormick's Creek trip, it is the first photo I believe. Have to have shore power.

What is an air conditioner :p says the Canadian.

On our trip to Jasper last week there was still ice on the bank of the river and a couple other spots we stopped at during our tour.

Be careful if you buy one like the link in longhorns post. I bought one for the bedroom with the thought that maybe I could use it in the camper. Its too tall for where I wanted it but mostly, its loud. Too loud to sleep with. Not saying they're all like that but beware at least some are really loud.

What I've thought of is just getting a small window unit. Put it on the counter and let it exhaust out the window. Small enough that moving it won't be much of an issue.

Bill D said:
What is an air conditioner :p says the Canadian.

On our trip to Jasper last week there was still ice on the bank of the river and a couple other spots we stopped at during our tour.
For those north of the border, an Air Conditioner is a furnace. :D

Paul

craig333 said:
Be careful if you buy one like the link in longhorns post. I bought one for the bedroom with the thought that maybe I could use it in the camper. Its too tall for where I wanted it but mostly, its loud. Too loud to sleep with. Not saying they're all like that but beware at least some are really loud.

What I've thought of is just getting a small window unit. Put it on the counter and let it exhaust out the window. Small enough that moving it won't be much of an issue.
The unit is a little on the large side, but fairly quiet. It is either that or no camping in the humid summer months of the Midwest..

Awhile back I really looked for an A/C unit for my camper that would do the job and yet not need a big generator to operate. There are small industrial units to cool electrical circuitry in enclosed areas. I have one on a CNC router that measures less than 12"x12"x12". Probably not enough for the camper, but another avenue to investigate. I also found some really interesting units out of Europe and China made specifically for small trailers and tents that sat outside with flexible ducting to route the cold air inside. Very small, light and with an amp draw of around 3-5 amps. Cooling area was maybe 100-150 SF. Perfect except they were all 220V, and not sure if they were 50 cycle or not either. The bigger generators that put out 220V may work as is and perhaps a step-up transformer might work for smaller 110V generators. The amp draw would double, but 6 amps isn't bad. Wish someone made a unit like this for the US market.

CWD

cwdtmmrs said:
Awhile back I really looked for an A/C unit for my camper that would do the job and yet not need a big generator to operate. There are small industrial units to cool electrical circuitry in enclosed areas. I have one on a CNC router that measures less than 12"x12"x12". Probably not enough for the camper, but another avenue to investigate. I also found some really interesting units out of Europe and China made specifically for small trailers and tents that sat outside with flexible ducting to route the cold air inside. Very small, light and with an amp draw of around 3-5 amps. Cooling area was maybe 100-150 SF. Perfect except they were all 220V, and not sure if they were 50 cycle or not either. The bigger generators that put out 220V may work as is and perhaps a step-up transformer might work for smaller 110V generators. The amp draw would double, but 6 amps isn't bad. Wish someone made a unit like this for the US market.

CWD

I did some digging a while back and found one small 12v unit that might work on an FWC. It was roof mount, but was small and light. It was made to cooling a truck cab while the driver slept. It was european as well. All the US versions were 110V and needed a generator (or APU in semi truck parlance) to operate.

http://www.autoclima.com/pagine/eng/impianti-condizionamento-su-misura/climatizzazione-camper-autoambulanze.lasso

Back
Top Bottom