Portable Cooler Fridge vs Built In

trailrider

Advanced Member
Can you get by with a smaller volume portable cooler fridge than a built in fridge. I would think the portable packs tighter and has less wasted space. On a built in there are gaps between itmes due to shell height.

I am used to a built in 3-way fridge. You should not pack it such that the cold can't fall down from the coil through the refrig. You can increase inside cooling by putting a fan inside the fridge to circulate the cold.

In a portable cooler can you pack it full? Is the entire bottom a cooling plate?

If I go portable I am trying to decide size. I am learning towards 55-80L. We like to keep bacon, sausage, eggs, lunch meat, cheese dip, fruits, vegables, cheese and a couple of beers. I don't want to have to be running to the store.

I gather a portable set a a typical refrigerato temp will not keep ice cream bars frozen on the bottom correct? I may have to give up ice cream up. The dual zone ones have too big of freezer section.

Thanks,

Mike

We have and use the truckfridge 51 liter model.

Truckfridge

It is the same indel B portable fridge that others sell.

It works great for the two of us and keeps almost a week's worth of supplies cold for us. It does not have a freezer. We stuff it full.

I have an Engel..The cooling coils are built in the sides, not the bottom You can fill it to the top. I have put it in freezer mode and packed it full to the top. Everything stays frozen just fine (even ice cream).

Although it does not have separate freezer section, I did just climbed in the camper and checked out the controls. I can set the temperature down to -22°F. I figure that will freeze most anything if necessary.

Alley-Kat said:
Ski,

Is your cooling plate on the side(s), or the bottom?
Alley-Kat, I don't know. How would I determine this?

The TF65 is mine. http://www.truckfridge.com/tf65.html
Holds a very consistent temp and the small freezer really freezes. What I like is that I can see what I have. In a chest I have to unload it to get what I want (yes, being more organized would help). No regrets so far and I've packed it pretty full.

Ski,

When the unit is operating, listen for the compressor fan, or feel for the air flow via the compressor fan through the exterior vents, then you might either, 1) see some frost on the inside of the fridge (maybe set to the lowest temp), or, 2) just feeling around the sides, inside the fridge you can tell what side(s) are cooler than other sides.

That "cool" has to get into the interior of the fridge some way, and it's often just by transfer thru the interior walls (usually no vents from the cooler plate to the interior of the fridge).

I bought an Ironman 4x4 fridge/freezer from the previous owner of my Finch. It is a rebranded one same as Ski. I've only tried it out using the 12V outlet in my truck. I'm hoping to get my 2nd battery done by the fall for the beginning of my desert season. I really want to be able to stay out for maybe a week at a time. It does get cold quick but I didn't feel around to find out where the coil is. I do know it is quiet.

On longer trips we use our Engel as a freezer (fully packed at the start) and carry a bunch of gel pack freezer bags. These we rotate through various coolers including fully collapsable insulated shopping bags. This allows us to start with a huge fridge capacity that can be gradually folded up a stuffed away as the food/drink disappears.

Ski, so far my experience echos the other Engel owners. Mine is a portable MT-35 top loader. I use it exclusively as a Fridge. Recently in a trip to Lake Havasu in Arizona the daily temps were averaging 110*. (No we weren't camping - we were transporting food to our rental house), Packed full the temp stayed at 39* all day on 12 volt. Return trip I turned it back on at mid-day (108*) and in 2 hours temp dropped to 39*. I packed it full again and it stayed that way full 5 hour trip.

Alley-Kat said:
Ski,

When the unit is operating, listen for the compressor fan, or feel for the air flow via the compressor fan through the exterior vents, then you might either, 1) see some frost on the inside of the fridge (maybe set to the lowest temp), or, 2) just feeling around the sides, inside the fridge you can tell what side(s) are cooler than other sides.

That "cool" has to get into the interior of the fridge some way, and it's often just by transfer thru the interior walls (usually no vents from the cooler plate to the interior of the fridge).
Alley - Using the touch method it was very evident the cooling plate is in the right side only (in relation to looking in from the door latch end).

RC Pilot Jim said:
Ski, so far my experience echos the other Engel owners. Mine is a portable MT-35 top loader. I use it exclusively as a Fridge. Recently in a trip to Lake Havasu in Arizona the daily temps were averaging 110*. (No we weren't camping - we were transporting food to our rental house), Packed full the temp stayed at 39* all day on 12 volt. Return trip I turned it back on at mid-day (108*) and in 2 hours temp dropped to 39*. I packed it full again and it stayed that way full 5 hour trip.
Our fridge works great in all weather and temps. I'd consider it pretty well tested. Alley-Kat lent me a precision thermometer that determined the actual inside temp was 4° higher than the controls indicated. I keep the control temp at 32° and my contents are at a happy 36°.

Jim, I figure the fridge works best with a large cold mass inside so as we empty it from use during our travels the Lady places her water bottles on the bottom to keep the space full.

ski3pin said:
Alley - Using the touch method it was very evident the cooling plate is in the right side only (in relation to looking in from the door latch end).
Is this correct?

img_85865_4_16b311f600c5d5f8393e580d229b0be2.jpg

Guys---I'm just happy with my 3way frig and old beat ice chest cooler :D ! maybe I need to reevaluate my needs and get into the modern world--or maybe just stay where I am-after all I would not want to spoil myself! I can get a bag of lamb chops, a steak or two and two ice trays in my freezer and have a bunch of wonderful things to eat and drink or a week or so! :p

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom