Portable Fridge for Panther

Ronin

Hi all - I'm making my final choices for my new Panther configuration and I'm down to choosing my portable fridge. I'm thinking Dometic CFX50, Engel MT45F, or ARB 50 qt. I have no brand loyalty, my budget is up to $900.00 - I just want a bomber fridge that'll give me years of trouble free service. I'm always boon docking, generally hit a grocery store every 3-4 days, and seldom stay in one place for more than 2 nights. I doubt if I'd ever use it as a freezer, but who knows? I'll have a side dinette in the Panther and I plan on placing it under the front window next to the seat. I'll have two 6 volt AGM batteries to power everything with a 200 watt solar system. I have no experience with portable fridges (or solar) so I'm looking for pros and cons or whatever tidbits of info to consider. Your idea's for placement for ease of access would also be helpful. I'm having a cabinet built between the rear door and dinette chair so I don't think it will be possible to place the fridge there. Portability is low on my list of priorities. I know there are a lot of TruckFridge fans out there but their 1year warranty concerns me.

Thanks !!

I figure the ARB, Dometic, TruckFridge, and others are manufactured by Indel B in Italy. Except for very minor differences, they are the same machine. Consider a 120AC/12DC unit so so can precool at home on 120. My unit's 120 cord is hard wired into the small circuit breaker in camper's electrical system. I run a power cord to the outside receptacle on the camper. These units automatically switch to 120 when present. Our fridge is on the floor under the front window and accessible for filling with the camper top down; handy for resupply stops at grocery stores.

Engel is a different unit. Higher weight and price eliminated it as a choice for us.

I have the indel 40qt/truck fridge for the past year and when not camping we use it to keep drinks cold. Haven't turned it off in over a year and works like a champ.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

I've got domestic CFX-35, for two years, with insulation cover. Has worked very well. Engels and ARB are likely just as good. I'd recommend the insulation cover for use during hot summers. You may consider whether each of these coolers include the option of an insulation cover as the determining factor.

Moss Grimmick said:
I've got domestic CFX-35, for two years, with insulation cover. Has worked very well. Engels and ARB are likely just as good. I'd recommend the insulation cover for use during hot summers. You may consider whether each of these coolers include the option of an insulation cover as the determining factor.
I'm leaning towards a Dometic - I like that the cover opens sideways which would be perfect if I put it under the front window. The ARB cover can be taken off completely which also can be convenient. Seems like most people have under 50 qt fridges- wonder if I'm going too large on this?? I just want to make sure I have enuff room for 3-4 days of groceries.

Remember you don't need room for ice. Also things like drinks can be added as you use (at some cost to efficiency) which frees up space. I think you are aiming too big. Remember it also takes up precious space. Smaller is sometimes better.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

We have a MT-45 , maybe 6 or 7 years old. Runs and cools great and, pretty easy on the battery.

Thanks all for your idea's . Going to go with something small and light enough to use in back of the cab as well in camper. Probably in the 40 qt range. It never occurred to me to use it in the truck when I'm camping w/o the camper ( yes I still do that a lot ) or out backpacking. Now I'll have to re-do the cabinet I built in rear cab to fit a refer and battery!!

Ronin said:
Thanks all for your idea's . Going to go with something small and light enough to use in back of the cab as well in camper. Probably in the 40 qt range. It never occurred to me to use it in the truck when I'm camping w/o the camper ( yes I still do that a lot ) or out backpacking. Now I'll have to re-do the cabinet I built in rear cab to fit a refer and battery!!
Make sure you know your dimensions... A 40 qt is fairly large...

Ronin said:
When I first got my Truickfridge TF45 I carried it in the rear area of my Tundra AC. Fit nicely between the two storage units I also have there. I just ran a 12v plug from the camper battery into the truck,so the cooler runs off the camper battery not any of the 12v outlets of the truck.
Last year I decided to move the cooler inside the camper,up front under the window.
It was handy up in the truck but we like it better inside the camper.Also it's more out of sight.
The Truckfridge line of coolers all have the same "footprint" but differ in height.

Frank

I'll have to see these refers in person to get a better idea of what size is going to work for me. I'm somewhat in the boonies so only places within 50 miles of me is Camping world and Bass Pro. The quest continues !

Ronin said:
I'll have to see these refers in person to get a better idea of what size is going to work for me. I'm somewhat in the boonies so only places within 50 miles of me is Camping world and Bass Pro. The quest continues !
You can make a cardboard mockup to see how the various sizes fit in the locations you're considering.

Ronin said:
Ronin, I think the Truckfridge s/m/l cooler,all have same foot print ,but different height, are about the same size of a 60 qt.Coleman cooler.
Frank

Great idea to mock one up - I stopped by Camping World today and just stared at the (Dometic)box they wouldn't open.

Hello Ronin
Sorry can only say we just got our Engle MR040. Is larger than I thought, but should be good for us, time will tell. Sad the store would not open the box for you. Maybe searching on the net after you decide will provide an option to buy online and the shipping not be a deterrent, because of a good price.
Russ

We bought our Dometic fridge from Camping World. They didn't stock the size we wanted (CF50) so they ordered it from Dometic and it was shipped straight to our house. I had a $100 off coupon from Camping World that made it a good deal. Camping World told me you can buy any Dometic product in the catalog through their store, whether or not it is stocked. FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom