Portable Fridge Power While Driving? Noob Question.

Area45

Advanced Member
Hi all,

This may be a basic question, but I've searched the forum and didn't find the answer.

I have a Hawk Shell model with a single battery. We just added a Dometic 35 Portable Fridge (no more ice!). I've always kept the house power off while driving, only switching on power when needed at camp. In order to keep the fridge powered I'd need to keep the house power on and I'm unclear if there are any problems with that.

Currently, I don't have any solar and just the single battery. I'm sure the truck will provide enough power to maintain the house battery while driving, but will running the fridge the entire time pose any problems? Should I worry about my trucks starting battery?

My shell model is very simple. Only LED lights, 2 12volt receptacles and no furnace. So I don't think I have much draw on the single battery. The truck is a 3/4 ton if that makes any difference.

I guess I don't understand what the ON/OFF switch does, or protects maybe? I'd like to add solar and maybe a Trimetric, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by electrical work. Maybe a 2nd battery wouldn't be a bad idea either?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I just got back from a 900 mile road trip with the indel 40l compressor cooler and it ran great off of the single battery. We took the wife's expedition so it has a standard car battery and never had a problem with it. Left it plugged in all night on 34 degrees and didn't have any problems starting it 12 hours after parking it and leaving the cooler on. Very unlikely that would give you problems in your set up. but you can buy portable jump boxes to keep for some extra security , if you don't want to spend a few hundred on a battery seperator and set up. I found this one on amazon and it jumped my old 7.5l gas engine when the battery was so low it would only make a faint clicking sound. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010DP8PIU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I carry it with me anyway. The indel has a low voltage cut off that turns the fridge off before it runs the fridge to low to not start the truck. You would have to check to see if your dometic has that feature.

97grandby said:
The indel has a low voltage cut off that turns the fridge off before it runs the fridge to low to not start the truck. You would have to check to see if your dometic has that feature.
Thanks! The Dometic has the same feature so maybe I'm just worrying about it more than I need to. Appreciate the reply.

Do you mean you have just one battery in the camper, plus your truck's starting battery? Or just the starting battery? In either case, the alternator will provide plenty of current to run the fridge while the truck is running. You really should have at least one deep-cycle battery in the camper.

Area45 said:
Thanks! The Dometic has the same feature so maybe I'm just worrying about it more than I need to. Appreciate the reply.
I have a Truckfridge TF41 portable cooler. I have the voltage cut off switch set on high. I have run the fridge 4 days without the solar on and just the house battery before it shut off.
Do you have a "battery separator" between the truck/camper battery? If so than there aren't any worries about draining the truck battery.
And while you drive the truck will charge the camper battery.
No worries.
Frank

JHanson said:
Do you mean you have just one battery in the camper, plus your truck's starting battery? Or just the starting battery? In either case, the alternator will provide plenty of current to run the fridge while the truck is running. You really should have at least one deep-cycle battery in the camper.
I have two batteries. Truck starting battery and the Deep cycle in the Hawk.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I have a Truckfridge TF41 portable cooler. I have the voltage cut off switch set on high. I have run the fridge 4 days without the solar on and just the house battery before it shut off.
Do you have a "battery separator" between the truck/camper battery? If so than there aren't any worries about draining the truck battery.
And while you drive the truck will charge the camper battery.
No worries.
Frank
I guess that's the main question. I'm not sure if I have a battery separator. Where would that be located? In the shell itself or is that mounted closer to the truck's starter battery?

Area45 said:
I guess that's the main question. I'm not sure if I have a battery separator. Where would that be located? In the shell itself or is that mounted closer to the truck's starter battery?
The separator is usually located in the area with the house battery.
Did you but the camper new and have it installed by FWC? If so you should have a separator.There is a lot of info on the site to help you with your "electrical" questions.
Some may be hard to search,so ask lots of questions.
Frank

Area45 -

There's a photo of the battery compartment of a single-battery 2012 Hawk shell in this thread (see post 5 and click on the photo for a better view). (note: the following two posts identify the components)

Is yours similar?

Old Crow said:
Area45 -

There's a photo of the battery compartment of a single-battery 2012 Hawk shell in this thread (see post 5 and click on the photo for a better view). (note: the following two posts identify the components)

Is yours similar?
Thanks for that link.

Mine is a little different, but I found it. I have a side dinette, so the battery is under the rear facing seat. I found the Surefire Battery Separator in the cubby on the driver side. I think the Thermal Breaker was located just under it as well. I didn't have a flash light, but it looked like it. One thing I couldn't find was the solar panel wires. From my searches they are usually bundled together, roof and back wall, and should be white wires. I didn't see them in there. Any ideas on where else they could be for future reference?

My questions were related to my Four Wheel Camper. Why did this get moved?

If your shell is like mine with a factory installed battery. Then you should have a battery separator that keeps the camper battery charged while driving. But prevents the camper battery from draining the truck starting battery. Providing the camper is wired to the trucks charging system of course.

The main switch is just a battery disconnect for the camper battery on the main feed cable. When it is off the camper battery is separated from everything. This includes being charged. It has to be on for any electrical function.

On my shell the solar wiring is coiled with the battery cables. They have crimp on connectors on the end.

Carry a Volt Ohm meter with you.

Turn the switch on and have a great trip. If relying solely on the truck for charging with a fridge I'd run the truck daily if possible. it's my understanding that when the camper battery gets drawn down to 12.2 volts or below the separator will not allow the truck to charge it.

When that happens it will require charging the camper battery from another source to get it charged up enough to trip the separator. I'm sure you could remove the camper battery and set it on the ground and hook it up to the running truck with a HD set of jumper cables to get enough charge in it to make it all work correctly.

BUT USE CAUTION. THIS IDEA HAS IT'S OWN SET OF RISKS! EVERYTHING FROM ELECTRICAL HAZARDS TO CARRYING HEAVY BATTERIES. THINK OF THIS AS AN EMERGENCY SOLUTION AT BEST AND ONLY TO BE TRIED BY FOLKS THAT REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Squatch said:
The main switch is just a battery disconnect for the camper battery on the main feed cable. When it is off the camper battery is separated from everything. This includes being charged. It has to be on for any electrical function.
I had no idea that the House battery only charged with the switch on. It makes sense, but I was always under the impression that it was being charged when I drove no matter if the switch was on or off. I guess I've gone 2 years without charging it then.

Thank you for that info.

Area45 said:
I had no idea that the House battery only charged with the switch on. It makes sense, but I was always under the impression that it was being charged when I drove no matter if the switch was on or off. I guess I've gone 2 years without charging it then.

Thank you for that info.
On my ATC Bobcat the main switch "only"shuts off /turns on power to lights/12vfridge/any other power needed in the camper.
The truck/solar still charge the house battery if the switch is "off"
You should check with Stan at FWC about that.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
On my ATC Bobcat the main switch "only"shuts off /turns on power to lights/12vfridge/any other power needed in the camper.
The truck/solar still charge the house battery if the switch is "off"
<snip>
I wired my camper the same. The charging side - solar or truck - always works. The main switch only affects the load side.

The switch in my FWC Eagle only turns of inside power as well, the batteries still charge from solar and the truck.

There is a breaker switch that turns off shore power charging, though. I was told to leave that off until shore power is plugged in to avoid surges.

Back
Top Bottom