Possible Suburban Propane Stove Recall

heinphoto

Stan Kennedy from FWC, just posted this on the FWC Users Facebook Group:

Four Wheel Campers has been contacted by Suburban Manf. about a possible recall on their Flush Mount (glass top) 2 burner propane RV stove. We are in discussions with them and are awaiting further information on what actions they would like us to take, if any. And what stoves we have bought from them, if any, are affected. More information to come as they make it available to us. We are in a holding pattern until they give us official instructions. We can't send out any notices to our customers until they give us further instructions. Thank you for your understanding.

Here is a link to the recall notice:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23E002-3195.PDF

I think our 2020 Grandby was one of the first to have this stove. So, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens...

The affected model is the SDS2, which is the one used my 2021 Grandby. The production date range is Jan 2018 to Jan 2023, and the number of affected units is “all.” The issue is road vibration related fatigue of a gas tube, so those with a lot of bumpy time on their camper may want to read the linked bulletin above and decide if they should do a visual inspection before the expected March notifications come out.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
There is a member of WTW who had an explosion in his trailer because of a Suburban stove, take this warning seriously.

Can you elaborate on why/how it created an explosion? Extent of explosion?

I read the NHTSA description of suspected cause but it did not make much sense to me why this would be limited to only this model of the stove.

Phil, there was a previous thread on this within the last 6 months, but I don’t have a link to it. I’m going to wait for the member to provide that feedback, but I believe a Google search will find that post.

Phil, there was a previous thread on this within the last 6 months, but I don’t have a link to it. I’m going to wait for the member to provide that feedback, but I believe a Google search will find that post.

Thanks...will look it up...I missed it the first time it came around...

Wallowa said:
Thanks...will look it up...I missed it the first time it came around...
I looked for the link and couldn’t find it. IIRC, there were some minor(?) burns involved, cabinet doors blown open, and things of that nature. My assumption was lighting the stove was the tipping point.

Regardless, it’s a scary event.

This is a scary recall folks. I had a flush mount stove at one stage of my build, and took it out because it "leaked". I could smell it, and the smell was there regardless of the stove being on or not. As I read the recall, the propane supply tubes get brittle and crack. The cause is purported to be "Vibration" vs bad welds. Bending aluminum is a sure way to weaken it, so I can see that.

Point being, (again, as I read the recall notice) simply opening your propane valve at the propane tank will put pressure in the compromised lines and will leak into your camper, even if you are not using your stove!

Hi Vic. As I read it they are saying the problem tubes are downstream of the burner control knob valves, so the leak potential is when you turn the stove on. Here’s a paste from the notice as best I could do it on my phone:

Description of the Safety Risk :
The burner tube could crack resulting a leak of propane when the top burner gas valve is opened to use the appliance. If ignited the propane could result in a fire and/or explosion which could result in personal injury.
Description of the Cause :
Identification of Any Warning that can Occur :
The gas manifold at the control knobs can become loose over time due to excessive vibration. With excessive viration the the burner tubes can fail. Lab analysis of failed burner tubes indicate hardening of the aluminum burner tubes likely caused by repeated impact or the excessive vibration.
FMVSS 1 :
NR NR
The owner could possibly hear a louder than normal hissing sound or smell propane odor when the cooktop gas valve is turned to the "on"

Not good, but do any of the FWC propane appliances use aluminum tubing? To be fair I believe the "RV" explosion was not in a FWC, correct?

I found the link.

See post 11

Got the link and thanks...my question is what if any FWCs have the stove with aluminum tubing or more specifically the stove with the apparent weakness which resulted in an explosion? Is the tubing a stove manufacturer weakness or does FWC using this tubing?

Wallowa said:
Got the link and thanks...my question is what if any FWCs have the stove with aluminum tubing or more specifically the stove with the apparent weakness which resulted in an explosion? Is the tubing a stove manufacturer weakness or does FWC using this tubing?
I believe it’s a manufacturer issue, since this occurred in a trailer, but FWC will need to answer that to be certain.

We are hoping to get another update and more information next week from Suburban. We will post ASAP as soon as we have an official update. Thank you.

Stan@FourWheel said:
We are hoping to get another update and more information next week from Suburban. We will post ASAP as soon as we have an official update. Thank you.

Once again, thanks Stan....what years and in what FWC models were Suburban appliances used?

The flush mount glass top stove in my April 2021 Grandby FD has excellent access to the bottom of the stove if the utensil drawer is removed and the cupboard door below is opened.

While my paperwork from FWC listed my stove as a Suburban SDS2, the top glass says Dometic and the label on the underside of the stove says Dometic Model 2BR-1066049. I assume it’s not related to the Suburban product. It does not look like any of the Suburban SDS2 stove pictures I’ve found on line.

After looking carefully at the support for lines and components, I don’t think my particular stove has an issue.

Edit: Deleted a lengthy description that wasn’t needed given my stove is not the affected model.

Back
Top Bottom