Post Processing Technique

I'd wager the large majority of photographers here use Adobe products for their post. Not me. I abandoned Adobe a decade ago because they treated me badly and I didn't like the direction they were going. Around that time some good alternatives popped up which I have been using ever since. One of them, Aperture, has unfortunately been dropped by Apple so I have had to look elsewhere. Apple's new app, Photos, is nowhere near capable enough for what I do.

After test driving several alternatives to Aperture, I settled on Capture One Pro. It's a great raw processor--perhaps the best around--and an excellent image editor. It even imports Aperture libraries with most of the organization and adjustments intact. So, I probably won't contribute much to this forum unless someone has a Capture One (C1) question, although I will keep an eye out for discussions about Nik, Photo Mechanic, Pixelmator and Affinity Photo which I use. And I will enjoy seeing what others come up with.

I have a camera capable of shooting raw but do not use that because I still don't have a program that will even open those files, let alone do post processing. Any suggestions for a beginner program that is either free or fairly reasonably priced?

Ted said:
I have a camera capable of shooting raw but do not use that because I still don't have a program that will even open those files, let alone due post processing. Any suggestions for a beginner program that is either free or fairly reasonably priced?
For Nikon for free, Nikon's View NX 2 allows some manipulation of Nikon RAW/NEF files. That is, it allows you to manipulate settings that are only available in RAW files.
And it allows you to then convert and save them in other formats, such as jpeg.

For more than free you can do better...but for free can't hurt to try.

Start with the free software that comes with your camera. I started out using the Canon software and it helped show me the advantages that raw had. You'll know when it's time to move up to something more sophisticated.

If you don't mind using an older version Adobe Elements can be had reasonably. I have version nine, think its up to 13 now.

The only concern with one of the older versions of any of the different software is whether they can read a newer RAW file. The Nikon or Canon software that came with the camera obviously would and I would bet they maintain updates so even if you started with an older version, it could be brought up to what ever your camera puts out. The Elements and Lightroom software will only go so high per version, forcing you to buy the next step inline if you upgrade your camera.

I personally use Lightroom for 98%, it's a great way to manage all the files and add keywords, etc, also mapping. Of course, now everything is moving to subscription based "cloud" services. Hey, it's only too much a month to begin with, then gets more expensive as you go. As it's not likely I will upgrade my body for some time (camera, and any other body I have), I really don't need to move up to their wonderful monthly charge till then. Some of the newer capabilities would be nice, but honestly, I need a lot of learning to use what I got already. Plus it just keeps that upgrade river flowing, more capabilities = a computer that can handle more, etc.

Ted said:
I have a camera capable of shooting raw but do not use that because I still don't have a program that will even open those files, let alone due post processing. Any suggestions for a beginner program that is either free or fairly reasonably priced?
Depends on the camera and your computer system, but as noted the manufacturer's software will do the basics. If you use a Mac, Apple's OS X has built-in raw conversion and the included Photos app provides moderate editing capabilities. ACDSee Mac Pro is a relatively cheap (currently $30) and capable raw photo editor. Google's Picasa will convert raw files but edits the jpeg version which defeats the purpose of shooting raw. Finally, there are some free advanced photo apps such as GIMP but they are complex and take time to learn.

DNG files. Anyone converting their camera raw files to them? Pros and cons in working with them?

It seems that the primary selling point is that the DNG files provide some protection against camera companies which might stop supporting their raw files; or is it sort of a protection racket that we buy into in case Adobe decides to stop supporting those other raw formats?

I've thought about it, but never gone that route, so no idea of the actual pros and cons. My guess is that camera companies and Adobe will continue to be backward compatible for ages to come. I worry more about buying a new camera, then finding out that Adobe will not update ACR or Lightroom to support the new RAW format. That's the time when I would be looking seriously at a DNG converter.

It will be interesting to hear what the others have to say.

I haven't fallen for the DNG pitch that suggests it will be the only format supported in some future scenario. I shoot RAW and convert to jpeg or tiff as needed. Even if canon and Fuji stop supporting the files, there will be someone who will.

Back
Top Bottom