Post Rally Central Nevada Tour

camelracer

Contributors
After we all headed out in different directions after the Black Rock rally I decided to do a central Nevada tour. I fueled up in Fallon then headed east and south through Quartz hill to Berlin. I found a spot in the campground, cooked dinner and watched the sunset.

IMG_1447.jpg

The next morning I checked out the the townsite of Union which was the predecessor of Berlin. There is only one building standing but there is a description of the buildings that were there and who lived in them. Up at the end of the canyon is the Ichthyosaur fossil exhibit. These fossils are prehistoric fish the size of whales that existed when Nevada was a sea bed.

I then checked out Berlin which was an on and off active mining town from the late 1800s to the 1950s. Berlin is now a state park so it is pretty well preserved and documented.

IMG_1456.jpg

South of Berlin is Grantsville which has the remains of the mill and a few cabins still standing.

IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1462.jpg

I then went up the Reese River Valley to Austin and down the Big Smokey Valley to Kingston canyon for the night.

IMG_1466.jpg

The next morning I headed south past Round Mountain to Manhattan. When I got there I found I had a flat tire but luckily there were post repair refreshments available.

IMG_1503.jpg

I then went off to Belmont which was once the Nye County seat

Nye County courthouse
IMG_1490.jpg

Continued -

After Belmont I went down through Tonapah to the Owens Valley.

Boundary Peak in the White mountains - The highest point in Nevada

IMG_1507.jpg

My last night at Taboose Creek south of Big Pine

IMG_1509.jpg

This trip was a condensed repeat of an adventure I did in 1970 and it is amazing how little this area has changed in 40 years. The only changes I noticed were that Round Mountain is now massive leach fields and the road into Belmont is now paved.

Back
Top Bottom