Power converter

adrian

Advanced Member
Too be honest, I know little about electricity. How do I get my wife's coffee maker to work in the camper. I have a Hawk with solor panals and dual battery system. I have never had to use the plug-ins for my-self. This time my wife is going with me, I am glad. Some of our camping will be off grid, is why I ask. A friend mention I may need to install a power converter. Another friend suggested to just purchase a 120v appliance, if I could find one.
So if anyone can HELP that would be great.

I use a 12v to 120v ,150w max convertor.
That size will allow me to charge camera battery,laptop,DVD player,phone,
and use my coffee grinder. It's all I need.
I think if you want to use something that draws more then 150w you need a bigger
convertor larger then 150w.

My solar keeps the 100a battery nicely charged.
Frank

Inverters range from cheap to very expensive. What kind of coffee maker? Generally its best to make coffee on the stove. Electric coffee makers pull a lot of amps. You can make an inverter work but its terribly inefficient. I have a 1500 watt inverter to run my microwave and other small items but it only runs a few minutes at a time. A coffee maker thats on for twenty minutes is really going to drain those batteries down.

On another thread I inquired about running a coffee maker off an inverter; wisdom said they draw too much current/battery, etc.

So being one who fools with this stuff all the time, I couldn't resist and bought a reconditioned 1500w inverter ($50 at inverter.com) and a $12 coffee pot (on sale at bed bath beyond) which only draws 600 watts.....

I connected it to my diy 'solar generator' which has a 35ah battery.

For this experiment I used some old 6 ga. cables with jumper clamps from a crappy harbor freight battery jumper setup, which I took apart since it was a POS....

It took about 7 minutes to make 5 cups of coffee.

What I did notice was the cables to the battery became a little warm.
voltage on inverter read 11.7 volts at the start and about 11.6v at the end.

(I have some 4 ga. cables I will be using in the future so it should be ok. )

Oh well...

Attachments

• batterywcableboxcoffeemaker27july21 (2).jpg
    batterywcableboxcoffeemaker27july21 (2).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 25
  • batterywcablebox27july21 (2).jpg
    batterywcablebox27july21 (2).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 29
I think the advice was that this probably was not the most efficient way to make coffee if relying on a camper-sized electrical energy storage and generation system. Clearly it’s doable, though, as you showed. It all comes down to priorities. I have had stages in my life where the most important thing in the morning was where my coffee was coming from and what was its quality, so I get the focus on coffee making. I think others were trying to say that propane is a more efficient way to carry heat generation capacity.

Jon R said:
I think the advice was that this probably was not the most efficient way to make coffee if relying on a camper-sized electrical energy storage and generation system. Clearly it’s doable, though, as you showed. It all comes down to priorities. I have had stages in my life where the most important thing in the morning was where my coffee was coming from and what was its quality, so I get the focus on coffee making. I think others were trying to say that propane is a more efficient way to carry heat generation capacity.
Me too on the coffee...

(i've tried many ways to make coffee: coffee 'tea bags' , perculator on the stove, boiling water on the stove to make instant coffee, french press, etc) I'm just lazy.....

I may mount the inverter and tie it into my camper battery/solar system....always something to play with.

Back
Top Bottom