Power Wagon for four wheel camper

Truck Camper Magazine (online only) had an article about high payload heavy duty trucks having a no camper designation and they went to the factory for an explanation. The factory said once-upon-atime someone ordered a heavy duty truck with both a snow plow package and a camper package and then plowed snow with the camper on the truck and destroyed the front end of the truck under warranty. Since then, if a truck is rated for a service other than a camper which when combined with a camper could cause damage, then the truck gets a no-camper rating. Camper packages are sometimes less than $100 and you get a wire harness and they skip the no-camper letter (maybe add a no plow letter?).

that makes sense to me. i had a ford f250 that had a camper package and it came with a sticker that said slide in camper ok. if the truck has a snow plow prep option, no camper allowed..

it appears the real numbers are: Power wagon is 1880lb pay load vs 2550lb for a normal 2500 (assuming that is with the standard 5.7L, i would add a 6.4L). that is 670 lb difference, and when you figure in the extras a power wagon has, factory winch, sway bar disconnect, skid plates front to rear, that probably 400lbs, maybe. I know, and most probably would be adding a winch and that would involve a bumper, some under body protection etc to a 2500 for safety purposes.

SO, after that, payloads are actually only off by a couple hundred pounds really. still wavering though between power wagon and 2500 laramie

towing is another, 10,000lb vs 17,000lb, but i hate towing-ha

The 2550 payload you found must be for the 5.7?

When you opt for the 6.4 or the diesel, you get a bump in the GVWR to 10,000...which would give a much higher payload for the gas 6.4 over the 5.7.

From my 2015 Ram sales catalog:

A 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6'4" box, with an 8510 GVWR (which is the Power Wagon GVWR only) gives a payload of 1,480 pounds.

The same truck but not a power wagon has a GVWR of 10,000 for a payload of 3,280-- 1,800 more than the PW.

Hello, new member here. I have a 2012 PowerWagon with the 5.7 hemi (6.4 not available when I bought my truck or I would have definitely gotten it). I just sold a 2011 FWC Hawk that I used a limited amount (building a custom camper from ATC shell with the extra proceeds from sale of Hawk).

My truck is heavily modified (headers, chip, intake, custom exhaust, road-armor bumper) including a Carli full custom top-end suspension.

This discussion is spot-on with my experience. I had thought that the Hawk would be a perfect fit for my truck but fully loaded with gear it gives quite a bit of rear spring compression (softer off-road springs). These trucks are made for maximum chassis flex and articulation which represents a handling compromise (even with a pop-up camper). When I finish my custom ATC build I will likely be adding Carli long-travel airbags to keep proper ride height.

I did use an older, heavier Phoenix pop-up before getting a Hawk and it rode better than the Hawk (I believe that the longer cabover moved the COG forward and helped the soft springs).

My truck gets about 13 mpg without the camper and thanks to the 4.56 gears still gets about 12 to 12.5 mpg with a pop-up camper. My Carli suspension was another 2" lift over stock PowerWagon so the stock suspension (less travel and flex) and 33" tires are probably a better match for a FWC Hawk, but airbags would still be advisable to keep proper rear ride height.

Its a great truck, but is still a gasser (my old rig was Ram 2500 CTD) and CTDs handle any load or extra wind resistance much better. Setting a versatile rig involves all sorts of compromises!!

SO, as much as i wanted the power wagon, the 15 power wagon laramie i test drove had a payload of 1329lbs, verfied on the door sticker. I then test drove a 15 2500 6.4L laramie (same equipment truck) that has a payload of 3080lbs. the 2500 came home with me last night, guess im gonna have to build what i want. as much as i love the power wagon features, just couldnt bring myself to always be worried about being over weight.

You went absolutely the correct way for hauling a camper.

Post up a pic when you get the Hawk mounted!

Scott

i think i did to, really wanted to make the PW work since, well, they are cool. but this way i will never second guess being overloaded, even if i put one of my heavy street bikes on a bumper carrier. I will build the truck some, so honestly i probably did not save any $$$ at all.

i will post pics, gotta get a spray in bedliner done first since the truck i bought off the lot didnt have one, which is fine. dodge uses lineX and i prefer rhinoliner for more of a rubbery liner. rhinoliner urethane in my tundra and the camper never moved

" I probably didn't save any $$$ at all" Don't be too sure about that, you bought piece of mind. I think you made the right choice too. Can't wait to see the pics, Brad

as promised, pics. nothing like drilling holes in your brand new truck-ha. but she hardly even notices the camper is back there, dropped 1.5". maybe ill still do air bags since side dinettes are heavier on the driver side, i can level then. BUT, i do plan on a small lift in the future, so we will see, just need to get some time/miles under the belt with this rig. Crazy how much better it handles than the 1/2 ton tundra, feel MUCH safer

Attachments

• IMG_3786.JPG
    IMG_3786.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 281
Have 2015 Power Wagon with 2010 Hawk from my 2010 Chevrolet 4x4 1/2 ton. Rear trailer hitch went down 3 inches when installed Hawk. Truck drove fine, but I installed Boss Air Bags to return to stock height in rear, just enough psi for good ride and stock height.

With the 6.4 engine and 4:10 gears, automatic transmission with 2 gear overdrive it is perfect for the Mojave Trail and driving the interstate. GVW is low because of the springs set to give good ride on and off road. Truck handles great on and off road with camper. I drive slow off road as I don't like repair bills for breaking things.

Good choice. I have a 2013 CTD Laramie with the Hawk and have been very happy. I ended up buying the warn winch mount which bolts directly to the frame horns (so I didn't need to replace the front bumper). This winch mount will take any warn mount and has other bolt on options for light bars etc. I have decided to replace the shocks (now 40K on the factory ones) with Bilstein 4600s and add a stiffer rear sway bar (Hellwig). Not essential, but at this point a bit more support on the rear will be nice.

Send me a pm if you want any pics of the set up.

Jason

HiCap said:
Have 2015 Power Wagon with 2010 Hawk from my 2010 Chevrolet 4x4 1/2 ton. Rear trailer hitch went down 3 inches when installed Hawk. Truck drove fine, but I installed Boss Air Bags to return to stock height in rear, just enough psi for good ride and stock height.

With the 6.4 engine and 4:10 gears, automatic transmission with 2 gear overdrive it is perfect for the Mojave Trail and driving the interstate. GVW is low because of the springs set to give good ride on and off road. Truck handles great on and off road with camper. I drive slow off road as I don't like repair bills for breaking things.
I'm running an 11 pw with Firestone air bags and daystar cradles. Gets the job done with a hawk on the back. If I go with an aluminess bumper I will be looking into a custom set of leaf Springs from
http://www.atlassuspension.com/
Coguzzi... Nice truck!

Back
Top Bottom