Preferred Battery

bobatkas

Hi all.

First post from the Kootenays in BC. I am moving my Hawk from my old single battery Tundra over to my new (to me) Duramax chevy. My Hawk is an '04 with the electrical plug coming out on the passenger side. I have the standard single 12 volt battery/isolator setup in the camper.

In my Duramax, there is a passenger side battery against the firewall and a driver's side battery up at the front near the rads. If possible, I want to hook into the closer passenger side battery and I am pretty sure it shouldn't matter which I use, but is there a difference or issues about battery selection and charging the camper battery that I don't know about?

cheers and thanks, Bob

Hi all.

First post from the Kootenays in BC. I am moving my Hawk from my old single battery Tundra over to my new (to me) Duramax chevy. My Hawk is an '04 with the electrical plug coming out on the passenger side. I have the standard single 12 volt battery/isolator setup in the camper.

In my Duramax, there is a passenger side battery against the firewall and a driver's side battery up at the front near the rads. If possible, I want to hook into the closer passenger side battery and I am pretty sure it shouldn't matter which I use, but is there a difference or issues about battery selection and charging the camper battery that I don't know about?

cheers and thanks, Bob

Lots of different considerations on how to charge off truck systems and also depends on what type of battery you have in the camper (charge rate, battery type, charge voltage, voltage drops in lines, etc.). But for purely hooking up want you already have as long as both batteries are seeing the alternator on your rig and its a 12V system (verse 24V) you should be able to connect there.

You may have camper connection points next to the aux (passenger battery) some do. Mine doesn't :( If so there are very strongly worded directions in the hand book about where to hook up!

I don't like hooking directly to my batteries. I used the power point and ground near the alternator with a solenoid.

Thanks all for the responses. I have a single blue top Optima in the camper, everything battery wise is 12 volt. I checked and do not have a camper plug under the hood (sounds like just as well...). Currently on the camper wire, I have a little relay inline on the hot (white) wire and nothing on the ground. I think I will just check with FWC and see what they say as well. thanks bob

You should have a bundle of wires between the cab and box tied up to the frame. You can have an rv plug installed into your box and use the aux circuit already available with out having to run any wires.

Back
Top Bottom