Price for 8-10 year old Hawk

I'm two months into my search for a Hawk camper. I want one in average condition. By average I mean one that is used, but not so used it is falling apart. No leaks and in good condition...not perfect I'm going to put some scratches on it. The only options I must have are a heater and camper jacks. I budgeted $5000 for around a 2000 Hawk camper. I found one for $4500 and it went very fast, faster than I could get to it. The others I have seen are $7,000-$9,000...are they really going for that much in today's economy? The NADA is like $2650 which seems very low. Is my budget too low?

I wouldn't pay too much attention to NADA values when it comes to FWC units. I'd guess $4-5000 for a good condition Hawk in that age range would be fair, but that's just a guess. Best of Luck.

If you see a decent 2000 Hawk Model selling for $ 4000 - $ 6000 you better move fast !!

That is the fair market value. But you have TONS of other people like you searching CL everyday.

You might as well flush the NADA guides down the drain. It is only for the insurance companies that want to "low ball" you on a payout if you wreck the camper. It has no value on what pop-up campers are really selling for these days.

The past month or two, here is the average camper listing ... "2000 Hawk for sale on CL for $ 5000 posted 8pm on a Saturday night ... camper is sold by 8am Sunday morning cash $$ full price"

CRAZY MARKET !

I get lots of new camper sales from people that get fed up looking for a used camper for years, just out of reach, they can never seem to move fast enough to get the deals they want on a used camper, so they give in and buy a new one.

:)

Keep looking, daily, the good deals are out there, be ready to move fast, have cash, don't bargin or low ball if the deal looks even 1/2 way decent, or someone will be a step ahead of you offering the seller more $$ than their asking price to bump you out.

Hope this helps ...

patience

It took us six months to find one and we drove 1600 miles! We were moving from WA to AZ so I decided to stop and take a look along the way. It needed and still needs lots of work, but the frame and box were in great shape. I ran to the bank and got cash, It was all luck. We couldnt afford a new one so we had to run with what we could find. Keep trying and your work will pay off. Craings helper(search tempest) was a huge help. You can search several states/cities at one time. Hope that helps. -Skeeter

Paid 7K for my Hawk and drove to Tumwater to get it. As far as a furnace goes it can always be added. There's a thread from both Deltarat and Sunman on the subject. I got this from Northern Tools for $80 and it works just great.

Attachments

• buddy_big.jpg
    buddy_big.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 384
For that year, based on current markets, I'd be budgeting 5-6K and be willing to move fast. If you're wanting one sooner than later better have another 1-2k available on hand. All this assuming they don't have much extra stuff on there, a nice battery system, solar system, etc. all can add some value as well.

The NADA guide is a joke compared to what these realistically resale for. If my insurance company ever tried to screw me with a NADA price I'd just instruct them to find me a comparable one for that price and have it delivered to my driveway. :p

+1 on the Mr. Heater - works fine in my Hawk - only used it once, but it will heat up the camper fairly quick. Don't let lack of a furnace stop you from jumping on one.

Good deals are out there. That one in Reno was a real good deal. The prices are all over the place though, really. I bought mine for $1400 and drove 8 hours one way to get it with about 6 hours notice. I have also seen really nice new '04~ish eagles and hawks that people have sat on for six months or more because they though it was worth $10K. Eventually they come around to reality though. The key to getting a great deal is knowing EXACTLY what model/features you want, knowing what functions/options you're flexible on and how much/any repair work you're willing and able to do. In my opinion, the most importat thing is having cash ready and willingness to drop everything (literally) and drive 8, 10+ hours for the "right" camper. Doesn't help that Hawks are probably the toughest to find in nice used shape either.

You'll save a few thousand if you're always ready at the drop of a hat. Don't worry - you'll find it.

I too would say don't let the lack of a heater stop you from buying, I installed the one in our ex-Eagle for about $500 and about 4 hours labor. The install could be done quicker if you have a proper tubing bender for the gas line. I had to make a 2" radius bender along the way. One draw back to the Buddy heaters is that they have a low oxygen lock out as a safety measure that prohibits them from working at elevations about 7500' or so, at least that's what the instructions say.

I'll be giving mine a try this December at Copper Mountain - the parking lot will probably be about 9700'.

Buddy Elevation Problems 2

I too owned a Buddy heater and could not get it to function at elevations in the 8K'+ range. I ended up selling it, since most of my elk hunts were at high elevation and I got tired of messing with it. This was about 8 years ago. Maybe they have loosened up on the oxygen level safety cut-off threshold with newer models?

The Coleman black cat (or powercat, I can't remember the exact name) catalytic heater gets HOT and is also good at 10,000 ft+. It goes through bottles quick at that elevation though. Like 5 hours.

Back
Top Bottom