privacy window shades/blinds

Re: privacy window shades/blinds

The curtains that came with my Grandby won't do the job. Some of the products I've seen online are a little pricey. I am curious what solutions others have come up with to cover the camper windows for privacy.

Thanks.

We also use Reflectix for our windows. We use them mostly for insulation but they also work great for privacy and noise reduction.

Ditto Edgewood (use Reflectix on all exposed canvas on the inside. Cut openings at the windows, so I can open the reflectix material and see outside if need be...Velcro secured. I also replaced the cloth/poly curtains that came with my 2012 Hawk with a thicker cloth/poly material. Used all the same rods/hardware. Functional and looks a lot better.

Wife made our curtains, they roll up and velcro when up. Read door curtain is inside so you can raise and lower it with out opening the door. I have no idea why FWC put the curtain between the door and screen door, you just can use it that way. See my build for pictures.

Anyone have a solution that lets zero light out - for stealth camping situations?

Seems like you could cut some Reflectix a little oversize for a window, sew a pillow case like bag out of black fleece material. Insert the Reflectix in the bag & hang the result over the window with velcro. Store the result under your mattress when not needed. May need to do something similar for the ceiling vents.

Still, any loud snoring might give you away.

Paul

Wife made our curtains. We also use Reflectix inserts for the windows in cold weather. They are sized to friction-fit and block the light pretty effectively.

DonC said:
Anyone have a solution that lets zero light out - for stealth camping situations?
Fabric the wife used does not let light in or out. Now the the top would need to be down and you would need to cover the top vent.

This is the side of my Hawk with the window shade down and lights on inside the camper.
P1120986.jpg

Bill - I think you posted that picture in another thread. I don't know if you staged it and waited for the right moment, or just happened to snap a shot on a walk, but it's a great picture!

I like that reflectix also does some kind of insulation job, but you can see it through the window, and that would give away any stealth camper. Here's something I stumbled across just today:
Buy one of the cheap foam camping mats at the store of your choice (8-10$).
Cut it into pieces that are slightly bigger than the window you want to cover.
Cover it with black fabric or felt so it just looks black through the window and doesn't reflect any light like reflectix.
Squeeze it in - the slightly bigger size should keep it in place pretty good.

I'll get my soon to be stealth camper minivan in a couple of days, and that is what I'll try. :) :D

Back
Top Bottom