propane and refrigerators

bike4mee

Were going on a 7 day river trip and want to leave the 4WC (Kestral) at the takeout. We will start with a full tank of propane and am hoping the frig (Dometic) will run all week in the hot april sun so we have cold ones when we get back to it. Has anybody ever calculated or posted how long the frig will run on a tank of propane?

It runs quite a while. Off hand I think I used up 1-2gal during a 10day trip if I'm recalling right.

The bigger issue you'll run into is your pilot light potentially blowing out if you don't have a relighter on it.

2X! I keep getting surprised how long those tanks last! Except when I need to use the heater during the winter, most of my use is for the hw heater and frig, and they seem to keep going---if it's only on for the frig-it should be okay because most of my trips run for about a week or so and I seem to still have between a 1/4 and empty (if you want to believe the gauge), but I would turn off the hot water heater and/or thermostat if you have one! Let us know how it comes out!

Smoke

Thanks! The frig also depends on the camper battery. How long will it keep a charge enough to run the frig? Wish I had the solar panel.

I thought they used propane OR electricity. I agree with the others - one week on propane is no problem. But how does it use propane AND electricty?

Maybe he's got one of the newer fridges with a fan that blows on the coils?

bikemee, solar is cheap these days still... get on it! I know right now I know off hand one place has a 120watt'er for $145 and another place has one for $174.

...The frig also depends on the camper battery....

??
huh.gif
??

Maybe he's got one of the newer fridges with a fan that blows on the coils?

Do these require the fan-blowing to run? Or is it like in my 2005 Hawk that has an auxiliary fan that I can turn on if I want to improve airflow past the heat exchanger...but isn't necessary.

Do these require the fan-blowing to run? Or is it like in my 2005 Hawk that has an auxiliary fan that I can turn on if I want to improve airflow past the heat exchanger...but isn't necessary.

Likely the latter but I didn't know if some of the newer ones have it auto based on temps??? Would seem silly not to have an override though.

In general a solar panel and a compressor fridge would have you having frosty cold ones at the end of the trip, no sweat. ;) Esp. in the CO sun!

Thanks! It does have that fan with an override. I hope it doesn't turn on automatically during the week. As long as the camper is powered on there will probably be some batt use even if in a small way. Probably not enough to run it all the way down. I had no idea the solar is that cheap.

... I had no idea the solar is that cheap.

If you don't mind buying Chinese-made (I apparently don't), then it's surprisingly affordable.
I'm using the excuse "I'm a retired guy on a limited income!"
tongue.gif
to justify buying these panels which may be "dumped" -- sold below true cost -- on the US market, which pods8 refers to his his comment.

Yup.

In the 12V realm (what you'd want to use with a low cost PWM controller):
Right now the best priced panel over 100watts I know of is a 120watt W Solar panel over here for $150: http://www.mwands.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55_75&products_id=601

Best priced one on solarblvd is a 120watt Solar Cynergy $174: http://www.solarblvd.com/p2274/Solar-Cynergy-120-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html?osCsid=21a0a766d402c95bd8a952036d334352

Or if they work dimensionally and you want one or two smaller panels, here's a 65watt W solar panel for $78: http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-&-Systems-Individual-Solar-Panels-55---95-Watt-%287%29/c1_25_41/p2718/W-Solar-Monocrystalline-65-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

A Sunsaver SS-10 10amp PWM controller would complement any of those well, $45 for the one w/o a load disconnect (I personally wouldn't have use for that but others may see the need, add $11 if so).

Were going on a 7 day river trip and want to leave the 4WC (Kestral) at the takeout. We will start with a full tank of propane and am hoping the frig (Dometic) will run all week in the hot april sun so we have cold ones when we get back to it. Has anybody ever calculated or posted how long the frig will run on a tank of propane?

I have a 2010 Hawk with the fan at the back of the 3 Way Frig, it is controlled by a toggle switch next to the toggle switch that controls the floor lights inside the camper. The fan is only on when you switch it on, it does not go on automatically. I believe if you did not install a fan yourself and install a thermstatly controlled switch, you should not have to worry about that. I agree that the water heater is a hog for the propane along with the heater, you would not have to worry about that either if you turn the thermstat off for the heater and keep the waterheater off.

The frig does use elec from your battery to run the digital readouts, not sure how many amps and this would be dependant on your backup battery or vehicle battery whichever one you use.

As long as you are running your frig on propane only, you should have plenty to last the week. I agree that what battery source you are using, backup or vehicle could be the concern. Would be a bummer to come back and have a dead vehicle battery if that is your only source.

Back
Top Bottom