Propane bottle inside or outside camper

Mitchellfried

Hello,

I know in the older campers the propane bottle was inside. Such as my 1972 non cabover. I am just wondering what the majority of you have done. Such as leave it as is, air sealed compartment inside, or move them outside on a rack.

Thank you

Our tank is plumbed into the system and under the passengers side seat ...but it required a cut on the siding to get it there...it's been like that for a long time and it's a pain to remove and fill but a 20# tank lasts a very long time.

I'm looking at a Manchester horizontal tank, mounted under the bed with a quick connect coupling plumbed into the bed on the forward wall (drive in refill)...protection from debris is what I'm working out right now...as I just retired this last year it's not as important to have an open bed so the Alaskan will remain on the truck for extended periods..or at least that's the thought.....just as I got it secured last time, my wife located a source for composted goat manure for the garden....large quantity...as in trucks full...plural

as i said...I'm still working on the engineering for a perfectly clean connection protection....what would be nice is a vacuum sealed space lock hatch assembly ;)

For the external propane tank attachment....you can add the equivalent of a "skid plate" as found under jeeps where the trans/transfer case are located. It is a plate of steel about 4mm thick. You will need access to a 20-ton press and some cardboard templates to figure out how to mount the plate under the tank with a bend UP at the front to keep rocks/branches from getting jammed in there. Then fabricate some "L" brackets that can be bolted to the frame and then weld the brackets to the top side of the skid plate so they don't catch on rocks either.

As for weatherizing the connections. perhaps a plastic box could be fitted around the tank fittings/connections BEFORE mounting so that you only have to open it from the SIDE to refuel and to disconnect the line from the camper. Not a cheapo Tupperware type box but something like a Rubbermaid hinged box. Once you get it mounted and feel it is a working solution....immediately buy another one as you will probably need to replace it at some point in time.

An option is a watertight side opening "tool box" that is fitted to the truck with the tank inside it and a water tight opening for the line to the AK can be fabricated.

Our Alaskan didn't have a bracket when we purchased it and we needed all the internal space we could get. After searching online for an option, I found this bracket which is very heavy duty. We have bounced the Alaskan around plenty over the last 18,000 miles and haven't had an issue with the tank whatsoever. It is easy to mount on the camper, easy to mount in the bracket and easy to remove for filling. Initially, I was pretty apprehensive about having the tank hanging off the back of the truck but the tank is actually higher than the hood of most cars that might rear end us. If you're looking for an inexpensive solution, I would recommend this.

Thanks for that link...I tow a boat with a bow height which limits available space when turning...it gets pretty close....but that link had some other parts I'm interested in....those brackets would work under the truck with a brush plate

Back
Top Bottom