Propane Tank Connection

Quint

Advanced Member
I own a new ATC Bobcat shell model. The propane tank is used only for my furnace as it's the only propane device in the camper. My question is since I sometimes use the furnace on a daily basis, and sometimes don't, should I disconnect the propane line to the tank every time I park the truck and camper, leave it connected for days when using it, or does it matter? The reason is that I'm thinking I may be pre-maturely wearing out the propane line connector (it's the manually threaded kind with a large green female adaptor) and possibly creating a situation where a leak may occur if I connect and un-connect it too often. Is this a concern? Thank you.

Leave it connected

Hi Quint,

I worked for a few years servicing propane equipment and in my experience it creates more problems when you connect and disconnect the stuff than leaving it connected. You also run a greater risk of having a leak by doing so.
The hoses these days are very good quality and will last easily 10 or more years.
So, I would recommend to leaving the tank connected and only disconnect it to refill it.

I agree with Cabezon,

The weak point of a system is usually the connections. Connecting and disconnecting is going to invite wear and dirt to coupling. Keeping it connected also minimizes the rattle on the road. I leave mine connected all the time with out problems, I leave the camper on the truck the majority of the time. Just be sure to turn off the tank while on the road.

I agree with Puffins

I agree with Puffins, therefore I also agree with Cabezon (I didn't want to leave him out).

I only disconnect the tank for re-filling it. And, I keep the tank valve closed except for camping.

Propane tank

You can leave the tank connected and you won't have any problems. The only time that I have ever disconnected a propane tank in my own camper was to get it filled.

Also by keeping it connected there will not be crap getting into the line. So when you do put pressure to the system the jets and orifices wont get cloged.

My tank is off at the valve when not used and when using the camper the valve is open for the duration of the trip if it is a weekend or three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom