Propane Tank Full?

mtnman

Advanced Member
The propane tank on my 2008 Hawk was registering a little over ½ full on the tank gauge (horizontal position). Yesterday, I was taking a couple of empty BBQ tanks to have them filled, so I pulled my Hawk’s tank and figured I’d top it off as well. I was surprised when the propane attendant was not able to get the tank to accept anymore propane. We thought maybe the OPD valve was stuck, so we tried at least three attempts to “jar” the tank valve, and attempt to fill - nothing. The tank would not accept any additional propane. I’ve not yet weighed the tank to compare with one of my newly filled 5 Gal BBQ tanks, but from just lifting the tanks they seem to weigh about the same. The attendant felt the tank was already full, despite what the gauge is reading. I’ve camped a total of 6 nights since I last filled this tank, and two of the days / nights it was pretty cold so I used the heater a number of times. During each trip the hot water heater was on most of the time, and my fridge was running in propane mode the entire time. I find it hard to believe the tank was not down a couple of gallons, just like the gauge suggests. Anyone else have a similar experience? I’d hate to go on a long remote trip and not have a full tank to start with.

I have two of the new tanks on my grill. You can not top off the new style tanks per the old propane dealer in town. I run them all the way down and then fill. Just got a Hawk and I see this will be a problem.

Bill in Stockton

It lasts a lot longer than you'd think. I've only filled my tank twice since I've had the camper. And thats running the heater, hot water heater, bbq and stove.

Weight of full tank.

mtnman,

Our tank has always registered 1/2 when it's full...not a problem 'till you use half and it reads empty and you don't know how much is left from there on.

Six days/nights with fridg, hot water, stove and furnace would put us down about 2 to 3 gallons, but it would read 1/4 tank or less. We've never had any problem getting the tank to accept a partial fill of that much. Some of the less experienced attendants have had to scratch their heads to figure out the vent on the side of the valve but have always managed to get it done.

I had our tank purged and refilled at the local Amerigas dealer (they charged me for 4 1/2 gallons, I was surprised it wasn't 5) and it weighs 36.9# at that fill level. It's a horizontal tank manufactured by Manchester Tank (sticker to the side of the valve) and is the one that came with our '08 Grandby from FWC. I forgot to tare it when I had it purged so don't have that for you.

Susan has the weight of propane per gallon written down somewhere but she's not here right now. I'm sure you can find it on the web though.

Good Luck!
'birds

mtnman,
Our tank has always registered 1/2 when it's full...not a problem 'till you use half and it reads empty and you don't know how much is left from there on.

I had our tank purged and refilled at the local Amerigas dealer (they charged me for 4 1/2 gallons, I was surprised it wasn't 5) and it weighs 36.9# at that fill level. ... I forgot to tare it when I had it purged so don't have that for you.

'birds

Ours is the same tank and also has the same style gauge - reads 1/2 when it's full and empty when it's half full:(.

A 20lb tank actually holds 4.73 gallons and our horizontal version a little less. The tare weight is stamped on the bottle and I recall that it is 20lbs. We use a 50lb fish scale to figure out how much is left in the tank. However, since it's a bit of pain to pull the tank and one often has to pay a fixed charge to fill the tank, we now carry a 1lb disposable tank (two in winter) and adapter so we can empty the 20lb tank (even when we don't intend to).

...A 20lb tank actually holds 4.73 gallons and our horizontal version a little less. The tare weight is stamped on the bottle and I recall that it is 20lbs...

I thought about checking for a tare wt. on the tank then forgot...sure enough, on the collar around the valve ours is stampted T.W. 20.8#, W.C. 47.6# and DC 4.7 with a small triangle indentation at the top right of the 7 (I assume it's 4.7 Gallons). I don't know if the tare is before or after the mounting flange and valve are added.

I checked the web and got anywhere from 4.11#/gal to 4.24#/gal for liquid propane with 4.24 the most usual.

Assuming 4.5 gallons and 4.2#/Gal and a tare of 20.8# that means my tank should weigh 39.7# as it sits instead of 36.9# (if the tare is after valve and bracket were added). Wonder what that W.C. 47.6# stamp is.

While I was weighing the tank and checking for tare weight I noticed a sharp banging against the inside of the tank when the liquid sloshes around. Must have something loose in the tank. Hope it's supposed to be!

'birds

At one point I looked up the weight of propane and wrote it on the tank - 4.1lbs I think (the FWC is in Portland and I'm in LA). But it didn't make sense with my tank weights. I suspect that the the "standard" 4.11 to 4.24 weight is at a higher pressure (gas law: V/N=kT/P; as the pressure increases, the number of molecules, N, (weight) increases if other factors stay the same) .

I wrote max wt = 37 on the tank and do the math between that and the tare weight. I also put one of those thermal strips on the side of the tank just for curiosity. They do work, and it shows that when the tank is "full", the propane is fills to just about where the cylinder begins to curve to the top.

Someday I hope to use the 50lb fish scale for something other than a propane tank.

At one point I looked up the weight of propane and wrote it on the tank - 4.1lbs I think (the FWC is in Portland and I'm in LA). But it didn't make sense with my tank weights. I suspect that the "standard" 4.11 to 4.24 weight is at a higher pressure (gas law: V/N=kT/P; as the pressure increases, the number of molecules, N, (weight) increases if other factors stay the same) .

I wrote max wt = 37 on the tank and do the math between that and the tare weight. I also put one of those thermal strips on the side of the tank just for curiosity. They do work, and it shows that when the tank is "full", the propane is fills to just about where the cylinder begins to curve to the top.

Someday I hope to use the 50lb fish scale for something other than a propane tank.

I bring back PV=NRT from fluids 30+ years ago...same formula with R (rate constant) = k.

Susan's notes say the guy that filled us up in Deming NM said 37# for a full tank and 4.25#/Gallon...like you said, it doesn't work out, but the 37# for a full tank is pretty consistent.

Looks like around 3.5#/gallon give or take .1#/gal.

The 50# Chatallion works good on the salmon around here (I keep trying to find one it won't work on though!) but I have to go to the weight to length charts for those 240# 'but :thumb:

'birds

You can not top off the new style tanks per the old propane dealer in town.
You need a "new" propane dealer, because the "old" one obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. OPD equipped tanks can be topped up just as easily as old tanks. I have done it MANY times at many different dealers.

Wonder what that W.C. 47.6# stamp is.
That is Water Capacity in pounds.

I suspect that the the "standard" 4.11 to 4.24 weight is at a higher pressure (gas law: V/N=kT/P; as the pressure increases, the number of molecules, N, (weight) increases if other factors stay the same) .
Liquid propane is not compressible, and will not change density as pressure increases or decreases. It will change slightly with changes in temperature. I have seen the 4.1 and other similarly low figures over the years, but never from an authoritative source, so I suspect those figures are just being repeated by people who don't know the facts. If you check with the National Propane Gas Association, the official weight is 4.24# per gallon at 60 degrees F.

Thanks for the info.

Wow, my simple little post sure generated a lot of good discussion - as always:) Thanks for the great information. I weighed my tank tonight and it came in at 36.6 Lbs. I'd say it is probably full enough to prevent the OPD from allowing any additional LP to enter the tank. What is interesting is how I could have used my camper for 6 nights and still have this much propane remaining. I wonder if it is possible that on my last fill the OPD allowed the tank to be slightly overfilled somehow? I do recall the gauge reading full after I had the tank topped off. Now it is sitting a little over 5/8 full.

On the other hand, even with being out 6 nights, I probably did not burn all that much propane. Cooking was mostly done on the outside BBQ and the cooktop was only used to heat water for coffee and to cook sausage, eggs and hash browns for breakfast. I only used the heater for two nights, when it was snowing, but only left it on for a few cycles to take the chill off. It really does a super job. Hot water was only used for washing hands and doing dishes. After the initial heat-up, I rarely hear my H2O heater cycle on. I've never heard it start up at night. At least not over my snoring ;)

Could be that this rig is pretty efficient! I like it.

Back
Top Bottom