Propane tank on the outside?

fleet2000

I know it's not recommended, but I've been storing and using my propane tank(s) inside my Fleet shell without a proper propane storage box. With a roof vent or window open it seems like low risk, but now I'm second-guessing my setup. I'd like to clear up interior space and address any potential safety concerns, so mounting it outside the back door seems like a good option.

I was thinking of replacing one of the factory installed "steps" with a propane bottle mount and cutting a hole for a small access door in the exterior wall. This way I could connect an interior stove/Mr.Buddy heater to the exterior tank. The tank could also be easily accessed for outside cooking.

Can the AL framing handle a 10 or 20 lb tank (20-40lb weight) bouncing around on the 2 vertical bolts of a "step"? Or do you recommend spanning more framing?

Before I cut any holes for a access door, are there any plans showing where framing members are located?

Any suggestions, pics of similar setups, etc? Thanks!

there is a company that makes a propane tank brkt that attaches to jack brackets.
please kpost what u use for the propane hose pass-thru . i am having troubles finding one - but have not worked too hard on the search.

fleet2000 said:
I know it's not recommended, but I've been storing and using my propane tank(s) inside my Fleet shell without a proper propane storage box. With a roof vent or window open it seems like low risk, but now I'm second-guessing my setup. I'd like to clear up interior space and address any potential safety concerns, so mounting it outside the back door seems like a good option.

I was thinking of replacing one of the factory installed "steps" with a propane bottle mount and cutting a hole for a small access door in the exterior wall. This way I could connect an interior stove/Mr.Buddy heater to the exterior tank. The tank could also be easily accessed for outside cooking.

Can the AL framing handle a 10 or 20 lb tank (20-40lb weight) bouncing around on the 2 vertical bolts of a "step"? Or do you recommend spanning more framing?

Before I cut any holes for a access door, are there any plans showing where framing members are located?

Any suggestions, pics of similar setups, etc? Thanks!
My recommendation is to find, or make, one that bolts to a jack bracket. They are more than strong enough to hold a propane tank, and then your not drilling holes through the frame.

Thanks for the responses! That AT Overland mount looks great. I hadn't thought about using the jack bracket. But I'd prefer to not take the propane mount off each time I use the jacks... one more hassle when I'm trying to get out on a spontaneous trip.

After looking again, I realized I could take off two steps and have a metal plate fabricated that spans the 4 existing step bolts. I'm sure this would be plenty strong. Hmmmm. I'll let you know I end up doing.

Something about them being mounted outside makes me nervous as heck. But then I hang five gallon cans off the back with no worries :)

fleet. I made my own that looks a lot like the AT Overland holder . I just used longer bolts to fasten it to the jack bracket so when I install the jacks they just slide onto the bolts. No need to remove the tank.

penner said:
fleet. I made my own that looks a lot like the AT Overland holder . I just used longer bolts to fasten it to the jack bracket so when I install the jacks they just slide onto the bolts. No need to remove the tank.
Thanks. Makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom