1486059948755200340466.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 90
  • right looking front left doors open are.jpg
    right looking front left doors open are.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 85
  • img.jpg
    img.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 185
Is there an extra cost for a higher roof/vinyl? I know there was talk about raising it 6" or so. I'd do that as the upper bed with 6" more would be nice.

I would think you could add outlets pretty easily but it's really easy for them to do it before cabinets, etc. are installed.

Rack mounts is probably a good idea for a number of reasons (you wouldn't have to worry about drilling into the roof later if you wanted them).

Kevin

My 2 cents worth, in red....
crumbs said:
I am in the beginning stage of ordering a Puma. I understand that they are open to some special requests.

* This got me thinking about replacing the standard factory furnace and cooktop with a Wave Catalytic heater and a portable two burner cooktop. Maybe they could provide two convenient hookups for both the heater and stove top in place of their appliances.< personally, I would keep the furnace. It's nice dry heat. I suspect ATC would either install a catalytic, or give you a connection for one. I'm not sure about the portable two burner, as it sounds like you're asking for a quick disconnect... but ask. I would just use a two burner Coleman type>

My reasoning for the heater change out is that I would appreciate eliminating the draw on the batteries for its operation. As for the stove, I can see myself cooking both inside and outside equally. Being that space is a premium, I think this approach makes sense.

* The rack system is something I doubt Id use, but I thought to add it simply because I would think it is best to have it done at the beginning rather than after the fact-for quality of build issues, mostly. Then again, I may be mistaken? And being that I thought the rack wouldn't get much use, I'd choose the least costly one. Again though, maybe for resale, or my own possible change in plans, the Yakama rails would be better. Or maybe adding this later down the road is a non issue and I should just hold off adding a rack altogether? <The Yakima rails are more versatile, plus you can use them to mount the solar panel when you're ready. Do it now, so you don't have to unseal the roof later.>

* A 12 volt accessory outlet is listed as standard. They do have two separate options for adding more. One is a $45 "plug" and the other is an $175 "outlet" with cabinet. I assume they are the same type 12v connections. Having three places to connect is likely a good thing. <Talk to ATC about this, they will steer you in the right direction, plus are customization friendly.>

I see on their website what I believe to be the "standard" connection. It appears on the face of the cabinet in the vicinity of the sink. My question is, does anyone have a images to share of the $175 optional cabinet and the additional third plug location?

* Lastly: The slide out extended bed sounds like a must, but initially I don't see me needing the added space. The dog will stay down on the couch and I will stay upstairs. Is this slide out simply an extra surface that is slide underneath? Could this be added later without dismantling the structure of the camper? <Yes, it's a slide. Unless you will add it yourself, it would be cheaper to have it done by ATC. I don't think you need to dismantle anything, but you will need to make sure the rails are screwed into solid structure.>

Below is my wish list

Thank you for your patience, Crumbs

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Power Roof Vent / Fantastic Fan 3 Speed / Reversible $275.00<Maybe a second non powered vent to increase airflow in the camper.>
Furnace – 16,000 BTU $495.00 * :)
Small Rear Wall Window $155.00
Luggage and Boat Rack $210.00 *
Jack Brackets Only $225.00 <Get the jacks, too >
Auxiliary Battery System $375.00<I would put the entire electrical system in (shore power)>
12 Volt Accessory Plug $45.00 *
Rear Wall Steps $175.00
Slide Out for Extended Bed / Cougar, Panther, Ocelot, Puma $375.00 * :)
Wire Camper for Solar Panel only (to install panel later) $100.00 :)
Roof Lifting Gas Struts (set of 4) $325.00 :)

Options for Cougar and Puma Models

Accessory Cabinet with 12 Volt Outlet $175.00 *
Small Window – Driver’s Side $155.00 <if you have a full length cabinet, you many not be able to do this>
So, that's my story/opinion, and I'm sticking to it... Have fun! Marty and Jeff are great to work with. Give them a call and talk things over...

crumbs said:
I am in the beginning stage of ordering a Puma. I understand that they are open to some special requests.

* This got me thinking about replacing the standard factory furnace and cooktop with a Wave Catalytic heater and a portable two burner cooktop. Maybe they could provide two convenient hookups for both the heater and stove top in place of their appliances.

My reasoning for the heater change out is that I would appreciate eliminating the draw on the batteries for its operation. As for the stove, I can see myself cooking both inside and outside equally. Being that space is a premium, I think this approach makes sense.

* The rack system is something I doubt Id use, but I thought to add it simply because I would think it is best to have it done at the beginning rather than after the fact-for quality of build issues, mostly. Then again, I may be mistaken? And being that I thought the rack wouldn't get much use, I'd choose the least costly one. Again though, maybe for resale, or my own possible change in plans, the Yakama rails would be better. Or maybe adding this later down the road is a non issue and I should just hold off adding a rack altogether?

* A 12 volt accessory outlet is listed as standard. They do have two separate options for adding more. One is a $45 "plug" and the other is an $175 "outlet" with cabinet. I assume they are the same type 12v connections. Having three places to connect is likely a good thing.

I see on their website what I believe to be the "standard" connection. It appears on the face of the cabinet in the vicinity of the sink. My question is, does anyone have a images to share of the $175 optional cabinet and the additional third plug location?

* Lastly: The slide out extended bed sounds like a must, but initially I don't see me needing the added space. The dog will stay down on the couch and I will stay upstairs. Is this slide out simply an extra surface that is slide underneath? Could this be added later without dismantling the structure of the camper?

Below is my wish list

Thank you for your patience, Crumbs

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Power Roof Vent / Fantastic Fan 3 Speed / Reversible $275.00
Furnace – 16,000 BTU $495.00 *
Small Rear Wall Window $155.00
Luggage and Boat Rack $210.00 *
Jack Brackets Only $225.00
Auxiliary Battery System $375.00
12 Volt Accessory Plug $45.00 *
Rear Wall Steps $175.00
Slide Out for Extended Bed / Cougar, Panther, Ocelot, Puma $375.00 *
Wire Camper for Solar Panel only (to install panel later) $100.00
Roof Lifting Gas Struts (set of 4) $325.00

Options for Cougar and Puma Models

Accessory Cabinet with 12 Volt Outlet $175.00 *
Small Window – Driver’s Side $155.00
I'm getting ready to order a Panther. I visited the factory and according to Marty the slide out bed can be easily added later. My wife and I are going to try out the 48" bed first to see if we can live with it. I have the slide out bed on my 2003 Hawk and you can't use the stove without pushing the slide in. PITA . This is a major inconvenience for us in the morning when all we want to do is get some hot water going for some java!! Having sat in an Ocelot I could see the same problem with a slide out getting in the way of the stove. I'm not sure if this applies to the Puma or not.

Ronin said:
I'm getting ready to order a Panther. I visited the factory and according to Marty the slide out bed can be easily added later. My wife and I are going to try out the 48" bed first to see if we can live with it. I have the slide out bed on my 2003 Hawk and you can't use the stove without pushing the slide in. PITA . This is a major inconvenience for us in the morning when all we want to do is get some hot water going for some java!! Having sat in an Ocelot I could see the same problem with a slide out getting in the way of the stove. I'm not sure if this applies to the Puma or not.
It's a hassle but we have a jetboil that we use for coffee. Much quicker, etc. and you don't mess with the bed :). A lot of the design is really about how to cram all that stuff into a camper and still make it available. When I "gutted" my camper, you really find out how much thought goes into some of the little stuff and that there aren't many options on where to put things.

The sink is too deep to go in the stove location. The puma is a longer camper than the Bobcat and Ocelot so a standard sized bed slide will not cover the stove. The Furnace is a 12000 BTU model now. We will be having the website updated soon.
The small window on the driver side is an option on an 8 foot long camper however it goes in the location of the accessory cabinet so it is one or the other in that location. 12 volt outlets can be installed in many locations and we will be adding a USB port also in the near future.
Marty

Get the bed slide. You can always leave the extra cushions at home if you don't plan on using every trip. My 2 cents. The furnace doesn't draw that much off the battery, but I have solar and never have had an issue. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I like the furnace for if nothing else, getting rid of condensation. My hawk is configured so the bed just slides over the counter leaving the sink and stove available. Not sure why they went away from that configuration.

Thank you all. I will be calling them either Monday or Tuesday to knock around some of these issues.

As it stands now, I'm easily in favor of the window over the utility cabinet.
Not sure on the r. rack style.
Not sure on the ext bed.
Furnace will stay.
Not sure on the stove top. Have to see what my options are.

Crumbs,
I too wanted the sink/stove reversed. Length of camper may make that point immaterial. Mine is due to be started early next week, I had a similar idea about the heater, except mine will have both a furnace and wave. The guys will not install quick connects, but will put in the lines for you. Personally, I also will have a propane quick connect on the outside for stove/grill/lights etc. So that could be an option for you inside as well. I too doubt the amount of use I will get with the rack, although I do use mine on occasion to hold our seakayaks. Lots of choices, and the ATC guys are awesome. Good luck.
w

Nice updates-thanks. The Puma is clawing at me for attention.

I can plainly see the couch on the main website, but I am having trouble locating images of the side dinette. Someone in another thread mentioned pages to search, but no thread link.

Anyway, I'm hoping the camper will be useful to catch a nap on the side of the road without having to raise the top. Would one setup (L-Couch vs. Side Dinette) lend itself better than the other for this type of use?

Either will allow a roadside nap, the couch typically being wider. The down side of the couch is your feet are in the aisle when someone else is up and about, plus the table is out there, too. My preference is the side dinette. The table is smaller, but it can remain setup without blocking the aisle. My size 14's are out of the aisle, as well :) .

Good to know W.Sage. thanks. I definitely don't suffer from too large a foot; and the dog will bump into me no matter how much room there is.

I'm not sure how the sink swap got inferred earlier on; but my desire to have both a portable heat source and portable stove top was one of the special requests that I began this thread with.

Contributing heavily towards my build request:

Weight of camper (it will likely remain on the vehicle a great deal of time; however, I will not necessarily be utilizing it's full capabilities in the far off future as much. It's more likely that it will be used more as a lunch/change/nap room for day and overnight adventures.)

Re: roof rack- I added the Yakima tracks to my 4WC with no issues with strength or leaks. I only used it on one trip to carry my 12' kayak that weighs about 40lbs. I decided that it was too much of a hassle loading and unloading because of the height I had to lift it to load it. I also had to unload the kayak once I found my campsite because the extra weight made the top harder to lift. I later loaded gas lift struts but never tried loading my kayak again. I ended up buying an Advanced Elements Exped inflatable kayak that I load in the back of my double cab and am very happy with it. When I order my new Panther I'm not going to add on the roof rack - but I'm sure there are many other uses for a roof rack that justifies having one.

Re: dinette. I'm ordering the side dinette because I have the couch arrangement on my FWC. My wife and I decided that we'd prefer the side dinette so that we can face each other while eating, playing cards,etc. Also, when one of us is using the stove or sink we won't be in each others way. You lose storage space with the side dinette but Marty is going to make a full width bottom cabinet across the back as well as a wardrobe cabinet by the rear door. You'd also lose the small storage cabinet that sits above the side window. It's all about compromises and preferences but having had my 4WC for 8 years I have a pretty good idea of what works best for me. Of course you don't know how things are going to work out until you try it out. It's all part of the adventure. Good luck!!
One other thing , Marty said that having the side dinette would make for a very short bed for one person - it may not be the case with the Puma and I'm sure Marty can best advise you.

Im hoping to keep the weight down to 1100 lbs, as that would give me room for water, supplies, gear, me and dog. My payload according to Chevy's sticker is #1960

I emailed Marty and I'm waiting to here what it would come in at weight wise.

After considering all of your input I've made an adjustment here and there.

Puma 78" wide Standard with the following.
Power Roof Vent / Fantastic Fan 3 Speed / Reversible
Furnace – 16,000 BTU
Boat Rack
Jack Brackets Only
Auxiliary Battery System
Rear Wall Steps
Wire Camper for Solar Panel only (to install panel later)
Roof Lifting Gas Struts (set of 4)Install
L-Shaped Couch
Curtains

Crums,your list looks good and a nice simple camper.
One thing about the wiring for solar,when Marty built my Bobcat I had ordered the wire for solar but
didn't use it.
Two reasons one I had it exit in front so I could place a panel under the overhang.
Scraped that idea. Second reason not to use it was the wire is only like a 14/16 gauage
so not big enough. When I was ready for solar I just mounted the panels on the rear factory rack
and ran the 2 #10 wires (+ -) through the roof down the right rear inside to the battery.
This has worked for me.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom