QUALITY 7 blade (RV type) trailer connector

ntsqd

Custom User Title
Curious if anyone has a recommendation for a quality 7 blade (or more) "RV" trailer electrical socket. I've tried a couple different easily bought models/brands and none seem to last more than a year or two. If they worked I'd buy commercial/industrial duty big truck trailer connectors, but they're different. I wouldn't mind replacing them every decade, but every couple of years is a waste.

Years ago I bought a M416 militery trailer. When I got that I switched to 7 pin round pin connectors (commercial metal style) and have never gone back. I usuually use Made in USA Cole Hersee or similar. I also have a convertor that plugs into this for a flat 4 connector. So I can pull most anything if need be. These connectors last for years without issue. Though I anually spray them down with contact cleaner and them plug and unplug them a few times. I'm sure the flat blade style can also be found in a metal connector if you search.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Cole-Hersee-Co-7-Pin-Male-Trailer-Plug-

Trailer connector in pic

That is my plan, have a 7 pin RV socket on each vehicle, have my trailers with 7 pin RV plugs, and adapt if necessary for other trailers. First I have to find a socket that will live and last. The metal RV sockets might be OK once sufficiently gobbered up with RTV at the rear, but the metal RV plugs aren't inspiring at all.

Was hoping to not have to go down the 7 pin Truck socket/receptacle path.

I took some pics that might help and to show a couple of ideas. I have a several trailers. Most don't have brakes so a flat 4 connector would work. These are not durable at all when it comes to corrosion. But many folks have them. So on my trucks and my trailers I have parrallel 4 wire connectors along with 7pin. This allows me to tow 4 wire trailers and to also allows my trailers to be towed by someone else in a pinch.

When I wire a truck connector I put the wires in the rear of the connector and also come back out with a F4 pigtail to a location behind the hitch. This gives me a connector for a receiver brake light. When not in use it is greased and has a dummy plug in it. The wiring in all the connectors gets coated in liquid electrical tape to keep the hard wired connections sealed. Much better than rtv silicone.

Both pig tails on my boat trailer.

7 pin round pin in bumper.

Note spring tension is in the pins.

Trailer side.

7pin to 4 pin adapter.

Hooked up 4 pin in adapter.

7pin hooked up.

Just some ideas. I would think that you would be able to find quality metal replacments for your 7 pin RV types. Philips is another brand that makes very nice versions of what I use.
Buy a coup[le of replacements and then replace what breaks as it fails. Seal the wiring with liquid electrical tape. Home stores sell it and you just paint it on. Use some dialectric grease on the pins to keep the corrosion down..

Be aware that the flat 4/5 pin connector to round 7 pin adapter is quite attractive to those less than honorable. I had one for my boat trailer & while parked at Garibaldi Oregon truck/boat trailer parking while fishing, someone decided that they needed my adapter much more than I did. I had to tow my boat back to Tillamook in twilight without lights to buy another one.

Remove the adapter and lock it up. Better yet, just rewire your trailer with the 7 pin round connector.

Paul

I keep my 7-4 adaptor in my glove box. Forgot to lock the truck one night and it disappeared, along with everything else in the truck cab. :( Luckily not too much of value. The most irritating thing taken was the owners manual to the truck. Go figure. I bought a new adaptor for $7 at Home Depot.

Interesting that Squatch's connectors are the round pin type vs. the flat blade "RV" type. I'm being swayed to start there rather than keeping the blade "RV" type.

One of my trailers is wired for the 7 blade RV type plug. The other is a flat four because it doesn't need anything more. I keep an adapter in one of the trucks and when the other one comes online it will have it's own adapter too.

Friends with trailers have had their connectors cut off and replaced by those who have borrowed them. One trailer that I helped build is loaned out, but neither of mine is available for that. The loanable trailer has a socket on it's tongue and the rule is if you borrow it and need a different jumper than what is available in the tongue box, that the price of borrowing it is to build a jumper that works for their tow rig. We've yet to have to banish someone for "converting" an existing jumper, but I figure that it'll happen sooner or later.

I have the adaptor but it rarely gets used. It lives in the glove box. All my trucks and trailers are both 7 pin round + flat 4. The F4 is only for when needed with other vehicles/ trailers. The 7pin round connectors do hold up. That bumper socket has been on 2 maybe 3 different trucks over the last 20 years.

If you have a place nearby that works on Medium duty trucks they will probably have them and possibly quality metal 7 pin RV.

There is a Franklin Truck Parts close by, as well as a local small shop that stocks OTR parts. Hadn't occurred to me to look in either, thanks!

Someone, somewhere mentioned the Phillips brand. Their RV connectors don't look any different than what is common, but their round pin stuff looks pretty good. this in particular is interesting:
http://www.phillipsind.com/product/12.html

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom