Question for Tundra/Hawk owners

DonC

I currently have a 4 cyl Tacoma so wanted to upgrade to get a FWC. I have been looking at both used Tacoma's and 1st gen Tundra's, figuring I would get whichever came along with a good deal. Well, I pick up a 2006 Tundra 4x4 on Thursday, great deal with only 36k miles. My preference was a Tacoma for the better mpg, but the price on this Tundra easily pays for itself given the small difference in mpg between Tacoma and Tundra.

The question now is do I get a Hawk/Kestral or a Fleet? Figuring that the camper will last longer than the truck, and I will likely never go up in truck size, then maybe I should get a Fleet. A Fleet would also work in a future Tacoma if I need to replace the Tundra at some point. But if I get a Hawk/Kestra, my only option is to go to a larger truck in the future, which I can't see ever doing.

Any thoughts on this for you 1st gen tundra owners? These trucks are already 6 - 12 years old.

Getting a Fleet now protects me in the future, but then I also live with a smaller camper for the next 100k miles...

I started out with a Hawk on a 2001 Tundra.

Looks like this.
http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/OffroadingandJeeping/First-Trip-in-the-Tundra-with/12636256_VZ5DCf#!i=908006685&k=JCu5Z

When I decided I would want to pull my Jeep I went to a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. Same camper looks like this.

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/OffroadingandJeeping/2005-Dodge-Ram-2500-Diesel/14848706_93Gnbr#!i=1107789012&k=8niGk

On the Tundra I put on a Deaver spring pack to carry the load. Sagged too much otherwise.

Hawk fits better on Dodge. Both worked however. I was able to look under the sides of the camper in the Tundra. Did not have to add bigger mirrors.

Keith
La Mesa CA

yikes, I don't like the looks of the Hawk on the Tundra at all. The Kestral is the version of the Hawk made for the Tundra with a shallower bed.

I like the Hawk on the Tundra, and you can use the stock mirrors. Problem with the Kestral if you need sell you need to find a 2001 to 2006 Tundra owner.

Bill

I currently have a 4 cyl Tacoma so wanted to upgrade to get a FWC. I have been looking at both used Tacoma's and 1st gen Tundra's, figuring I would get whichever came along with a good deal. Well, I pick up a 2006 Tundra 4x4 on Thursday, great deal with only 36k miles. My preference was a Tacoma for the better mpg, but the price on this Tundra easily pays for itself given the small difference in mpg between Tacoma and Tundra.

The question now is do I get a Hawk/Kestral or a Fleet? Figuring that the camper will last longer than the truck, and I will likely never go up in truck size, then maybe I should get a Fleet. A Fleet would also work in a future Tacoma if I need to replace the Tundra at some point. But if I get a Hawk/Kestra, my only option is to go to a larger truck in the future, which I can't see ever doing.

Any thoughts on this for you 1st gen tundra owners? These trucks are already 6 - 12 years old.

Getting a Fleet now protects me in the future, but then I also live with a smaller camper for the next 100k miles...

Is your Tundra a double cab by chance? If so, the Hawk will fit perfectly as they have a deeper bed.

I've got a Hawk on a 06 Tundra AC. It rides pretty well with airbags and E rated tires.
The V8 engine provides plenty of power, but mileage can vary. I got 10mpg in DV with lot's of 4WD/low 4WD, but 15mpg on the way home via two lane highway over mountain passes.

I have a Fleet on my Tundra and really like the size of it, looks like it was made to fit the truck. I wouldn't go any bigger unless you see yourself getting a newer full-size down the road, which it sounds like you don't want to do.

scheefdog - this is what I wanted to hear, because this is what I am thinking. Can you post a few pictures?

I would love to see a picture of a Kestral on 1st gen TUNDRA (2001-2006) Im questioning what size FWC I should purchase- I have a 2006 Tundra and thought a regular size Hawk was best size but I don't like the sides being so high so I was leaning toward a Kestral size but would hope to have the camper longer than the truck so I cant decide now.

I would love to see a picture of a Kestral on 1st gen TUNDRA (2001-2006) Im questioning what size FWC I should purchase- I have a 2006 Tundra and thought a regular size Hawk was best size but I don't like the sides being so high so I was leaning toward a Kestral size but would hope to have the camper longer than the truck so I cant decide now.

If you are buying new also check ATC their model Ocelot fits the Tundra bed rails.

Bill in Stockton.

scheefdog - this is what I wanted to hear, because this is what I am thinking. Can you post a few pictures?

DonC I have a ATC Bobcat on an 02 Tundra AC. Last Sept after a 5 week trip with the camper on a Ford Ranger super cab 2wd we decided we needed a slightly larger,more comfortable,more powerful truck.The ATC fits like a glove on the Tundra like it was made for it. The FWC Fleet I think is basically the same as the Bobcat. IMO the look and feel of that size on the 1st gen Tundra is a no brainer.That said there are only two of us and we aren't large people so that size works perfect for us. So far I have only taken one long trip with the new rig but we are completely satisfied.
The Fleet/Bobcat don't hang out over the sides of the truck . ATC makes two widths of the Ocelot so you might look into that. Marty will work with you to figure something out.
I'll post a pic or two.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN0181.jpg
    DSCN0181.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 743
  • DSCN0182.jpg
    DSCN0182.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 629
  • DSCN0186.jpg
    DSCN0186.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,116
Frank, What brand tires are those, they look good.

Frank, What brand tires are those, they look good.

They are Goodyear Wrangler LT 265/75 R 16 "TD" M&S. They came with the truck may be not the tire I would have chosen but they are brand new. I thought there would be road noise from the more open tread but they are pretty quiet. I run #45 rear #40 front. Seems to work nicely for us.
Frank

thanks for the replys.
would you get the shorter Kestral or a regular Hawk for a 1st gen tundra?

thanks for the replys.
would you get the shorter Kestral or a regular Hawk for a 1st gen tundra?

I would get the regular Hawk. Kestral may look better on truck but that is the only advantage. Shorter inside and you limit your resale to 1st generation Tundra owners.

Bill

Hi DonC,
I too have a 4 cyl Tacoma 4WD (1999). Performance is fine on level and going down hill (of course). The smallest Uphill I'm in 4th gear. Serious highway uphill I'm in third (50 mph) And I have no reserves to get me out of trouble so all driving is defensive.

My plan is to purchase an 2006 Tundra 4WD in the next 6-12 months. I ordered my Eagle shell to fit the 2007 and newer Tacomas, so it is one inch or so higher then the normal Eagle.

Following is the specs on the two Tacoma's and Gen one Tundra:

2006 Tundra Gen One
Length 18 feet
Width 75.2 "
payload 1790 pounds

2007 - 2012 Tacoma Gen Two
Length 17.34 feet
Width 74.6 "
Payload 1400 pounds

1999 - 2004 Tacoma Gen One
Length 16.9 feet'
Width 66.5 "
Payload 1588 pound ( A Joke with stock springs and a standard shell suspension bottomed out with two people and 300 pounds of camping gear)

Fuel milege: Once upon a time I had a full size Chev pickup with a 454 big block. It held 40 gallons and got 8mpg in 2WD. 4WD Tundra is much better than that, and it has all that wonderful power.

Sionce I over analyze everything here are the numbers;

4 cylinder with 4WC shell 1000 miles @avg 18 mpg = 56 gal x $3.75 regular = $210

Tundra V8 with same 840 pound shell 1000 miles at 14mpg = 71.4 gallons x $3.75 regular = 267.86 or

$67.86 more. Good buy in mny book. What is my life worth?

Hi DonC,
Sorry I lost my train of thought when my wife called me to dinner. The point I was making is the 2007 and up Tacoma and the First Gen Tundra's have just about the same dimensions. So if you buy the Fleet it will fit both Gen One Tundra and Gen Two (and Gen one) Tacoma.

A word about Toyota's reliability. I once read Toyota designs their vehicles to go 150,000 miles before needing major parts replacement. I have owned my '99 Tacoma for 13 years and 157,000 miles and have put less then $1500 in parts in it excluding, maintenence, tires, batteries. I replaced the radiator (and hoses) last year because the top and bottom tank are nylon and can crack after 10 years. I do a lot of solo back country exploring and wanted to replace the radiator before it failed.

Bill- thank you very much for your replys- I agree with you that the regular Hawk will fit many more trucks than the Kestral. I'm playing devil's advocate in my own head over this and while all the above is true the Kestral will work in the same trucks with higher side walls by adding to the truck bed with some sort of "filler" I was thinking that one could always come up with a neat filler with one or two drawers or perhaps a tank??? I don't plan on upgrading trucks for some time and with all the newer trucks that will be out in two or three years its really a crap shoot guessing what size beds will be out there. my other concern with the Kestral is will I be able to sleep on the couch with the top down or will the loss of three inches make that a huge difference from the Hawk???

Greetings,

I have a 2005 dbl cab Tundra 4x4 with a 2008 Hawk. The fit is perfect; camper looks good, rides good (with AirLift bag system). We are a family of three, and the space is wonderful. We can easily sleep four. As far the longevity of the Tundra goes, I can only say that when the engine or tranny goes.....I will replace those parts and keep on driving. We deal with the not so great gas mile by owning a Prius ;). In my biased opinion, get the Hawk......you'll likey find over time that you like the bigger truck feel.

Good luck, have fun with your new setup!

Back
Top Bottom