Question on camper fit

jbee

Hello I am new to the world of 4 Wheel Campers, and have been searching over the summer for what I believe will be the best camper to fit my 1997 Toyota T100- a Kestrel model. I am still looking and have not found a model, but have started construction on an out building and I am hoping to be able to fit it in the carport. My question is- does anyone know what the height would be once on the bed of the truck, as well as how high will I have to lift it with the jacks to get it off of my truck bed? Thanks so much
Jon

Just a guess here, but I think it would be less than 18" taller than the cab of your truck. Unless you have racks and the like on the campers roof.

Remember that while you lift the camper off, you will need to lift past the rise of your trucks suspension.

I believe the top down height of the hawk/krestel is 59" from the truck bed (plus any roof rack stuff). I only lift my camper 2 to 3" off the truck bed to pull in/out from under it. So whatever the stock height of your truck bed bottom is make sure you add at least 62" minimum to that for your building. Personally I'd try to add in an extra foot or two if practical so you're not right against the roof in case you need the extra room later.

Some other considerations: Do you foresee ever wanting to pop the top with the camper on the truck while under the out building? Planning for a different sized truck as well might not hurt if case you ever go that way. My fullsize dodge with camper & roof vents just barely clears under the 7'-6" over height charge for ferries around here. So you'd get away with 8' height to truss and still fit my sized rig (assuming the header over the entrance is big enough, don't forget to factor in the depth of that). But 10'+ would start to allow you to pop the camper while on the truck.

Hope that all made sense.

I believe the top down height of the hawk/krestel is 59" from the truck bed (plus any roof rack stuff). I only lift my camper 2 to 3" off the truck bed to pull in/out from under it. So whatever the stock height of your truck bed bottom is make sure you add at least 62" minimum to that for your building. Personally I'd try to add in an extra foot or two if practical so you're not right against the roof in case you need the extra room later.

Some other considerations: Do you foresee ever wanting to pop the top with the camper on the truck while under the out building? Planning for a different sized truck as well might not hurt if case you ever go that way. My fullsize dodge with camper & roof vents just barely clears under the 7'-6" over height charge for ferries around here. So you'd get away with 8' height to truss and still fit my sized rig (assuming the header over the entrance is big enough, don't forget to factor in the depth of that). But 10'+ would start to allow you to pop the camper while on the truck.

Hope that all made sense.

Yes it made perfect sense, thanks you guys for such a quick response. Hope to be joining the forum more once i find my Kestrel.
Jon

Back
Top Bottom