Question on Ford Ranger

Brewskier

Advanced Member
I was looking at the Ford website, and the 4.0 V6 version of the Ranger has a towing capacity of 5,800 pounds. Wouldn't this be plenty for a camper? Even if I load up the camper to the max, it'll still be less than 2000 pounds worth of weight. Maybe I'm not understanding how towing capacity works?

Thanks for your help

If the camper is on a trailer being towed behind the Ranger, you are correct.
Although my Ranger only weighs 4,300 pounds, so, I'm not sure I would tow the capacity Ford mentioned.

If the camper is in the truck bed then you want to pay attention to the vehicle load capacity.
For a Ranger I think it's about 1,200 pounds of load capacity from the factory.

AK is correct.
Towing capacity is much different than gross vehicle weight capacity (GVWR).
When towing, the only actual weight added to the truck is the weight placed on the hitch.

Towing capacity is based on engine power, stopping ability and other things I don't know about.

~DR

If the camper is on a trailer being towed behind the Ranger, you are correct.
Although my Ranger only weighs 4,300 pounds, so, I'm not sure I would tow the capacity Ford mentioned.

If the camper is in the truck bed then you want to pay attention to the vehicle load capacity.
For a Ranger I think it's about 1,200 pounds of load capacity from the factory.

Ah, I see.

I might need more than 1,200. How much extra weight would upgraded suspension allow me to have? I know a lot of you recommend 3/4 ton trucks, but part of me wants a smaller truck for the gas mileage and the ability to get in to more places.

Ah, I see.

I might need more than 1,200. How much extra weight would upgraded suspension allow me to have? I know a lot of you recommend 3/4 ton trucks, but part of me wants a smaller truck for the gas mileage and the ability to get in to more places.

Go to a place that MAKES aftermarket replacement springs and chat with them. Check with Smokecreek1, he recently did this and is very happy. Also, you should try Dever Springs: http://www.deaverspring.com/
Talk to the factory guys.

Go to a place that MAKES aftermarket replacement springs and chat with them. Check with Smokecreek1, he recently did this and is very happy. Also, you should try Dever Springs: http://www.deaverspring.com/
Talk to the factory guys.

We put a set of custom deaver springs on our Ranger. We are really pleased with how this works for us and how our truck handles the load and the varied places we take it. I am hesitant to give advise here because we do not tow anything and don't plan to. I'd take Mr. Ranchers advise and talk with the experts.

Back
Top Bottom