Question on setting up my InReach

smlobx

Lost again
I received the InReach for Christmas and am in the process of setting it up.

As you probably know, I have the ability to set up 3 different pre-programmed text messages to send out as I see fit (in addition to the SOS) and am wondering what others have set up to keep their friends and families in the loop.

So far here are some possibilities I have come up with:

1. Camping here for the night
2. Starting our hike from here
3. Need help but not an emergency
4. Broke down send a wrecker
5. Zombie apocalypse! Head for the hills... (I made this up...)

So what works best for a prolonged trip where we'll be hiking and traveling in remote country?

Eddie...

My preprogrammed msgs are:

1. Beginning today's travel.

2. Stopping for the day. All OK.

3. Will call or TM when in cell coverage.

I like your #3. Not sure I'd want #4 activated without knowing the cost upfront.

I try to keep mode of transport generic in the msg since I use so many different modes like you. Yes, you could change the presets before each trip, but, that would be a PITA and likely not get done.

Bill

I use messages similar to Bill (above):

1 starting from here (I am up and moving, all OK)
2 enroute all OK (I use this as free breadcrumbs and post travels to create picture location log and time line)
3 stopping for night here (end of day not moving any more)

I also have a connected tablet and compose other messages routinely, pennies per message.

Bill

Message 1 Camped here for the night

Message 2 Starting out for the day

Message 3 Current location, everything okay

I've got one that says 'I'm delayed but everything is fine' - my wife likes that one when I'm out fishing by myself and she then knows I'll be late but doesn't worry. My other two are a standard 'just checking in' type above.

The original post asks for suggestions about Preset Messages but we may also want to give some thought to Quick Text messages while we're at it.

Those of us who use the Inreach without a smartphone or tablet (i.e., using the Inreach keys to select from the on-screen keyboard) may find Quick Text messages more useful than smartphone users do. Still, it's an interesting option for, say, tablet users who don't take their tablet along on a hike. Or perhaps someone who suddenly finds the phone or tablet battery dead.

-------

'Presets' are free to send but go to a pre-programmed set of recipients. Those are sent from the Preset icon on our Inreach screen and all we do is hit SEND.

I currently have these Presets:

"OK" (I used to have something like "We're OK and here's where we are" but then realized that phrase is propagated to the map and takes up a lot of space. I shortened to 'We're OK' but then that causes confusion among recipients when I travel alone, thus the "OK")

"OK. Interesting place". Two family members love to explore interesting places vicariously so this is my signal to them that they may want to 'look around' at this place, i.e., zoom into the map, google the location, perhaps transfer the coordinates to Google Maps to get nearby photos, etc. They get the OK messages daily and an occasional 'Interesting place' message.

"Currently out of range of internet and cellular services but you can reach me/us via the Reply box on the map". Before any trip, we generally send an email to the recipient list telling them to use the Reply box in any of our OK reports to reach us in any urgent situation. But when we're about to go into an area where we know we'll be out of reach for a few days, we sometimes send this reminder and a fresh map with the Reply box in it so they don't have to go looking for an old OK message.

'Quick Text Messages' are the stored message text only. It's creating a new message but the text portion is filled in for you. However, you also have to populate the TO: section of the message with the recipients you want it to go to, either by laboriously entering them or by checking them off in the Select list (if you previously entered them). That's not as easy as a pre-programmed list of recipients in a Preset but allows you to target who gets the message. Reminder: Quick texts are deducted from your message allowance where presets are not.

If you've not noticed the Quick Text messages on your Inreach, you can see them by selecting Messages | New Message | (scroll down one to highlight the Message block) | (scroll right to highlight the Select block) | ('Select Quick Text Message' will show.) After selecting the message you'll be taken back to a highlight Recipients screen to start entering recipients. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you want to edit the message contents to provide more details, scroll down one to highlight the Message block and hit the check-mark button to be taken to the editing screen. After you're done editing, complete and send the message as you normally would.

You create the Quick Text messages in your online account under the Messages tab for download to your Inreach unit. A set of default messages is provided. I'm not sure which I may have modified so can only list my current ones:

1- Can't reply now. Will contact you later.

2 - Having a problem and am currently out of range of cell phone and internet services. Details to follow. Please reply if you can help look for assistance via web.

3- Camping here tonight.

4 - Having a great time. Wish you were here!

5 - Remember this place?

6 -Broken down but working on it. Will send an update later.

7- Returning home. Will provide more details when we get to cellular or internet services.

8 - Yes

9 - No

10 - Just checking in. Everything is okay.

11 - Awaiting rescue. Sent a 911 Alert via InReach to GEOS. More to follow. THIS IS NOT A TEST.

12 - GEOS/International Emergency Response Coordination Center emergency contact info: Phone: 1.877.444.2937, Email: iercc@geos911.com

Ron, to the best of my knowledge, no one can ping you. They can however send you a text message once you have sent then the first location from your InReach. If there is a way to ping, I’d like to know about it.

I normally send a message home at the beginning of my trip so The Bride has an easy way to get to me.

Oh, I forgot. Another InReach if set up as a contact can reach your unit.

I believe location pings are a Mapshare thing (if I understand what you're asking, Ron).

And I think this is how it works:

You (the owner of your account) must have MapShare On (in the Social tab of your account) and have checked the 'Allow map viewers to locate you' under Social | Options. That puts a 'Locate' selection on the upper left of your mapshare page for viewers of your map. It has a circle-with-a-star icon above it.

You would also want to go through all the Visitor Controls section under Social | Options and select what you want visitors to be able to see or do on your mapshare page if you've not already done that.

In operation, you'd provide the web address (URL) of your mapshare page to prospective visitors to your page. (That address is under the green "Mapshare: On" button after you select the Social tab.)

Once the visitor is on the page, they click on the Locate icon to see where you are (assuming your Inreach is on and able to communicate with the satellites).

(Note- I've not done it! I have mine set up for it but haven't even told friends and family about it. I probably should but to date have assumed daily 'OK' messages to a few select folks are sufficient.)

de nada, Mr. Sage.

I should also have noted the fact that location pings may incur a charge, depending on what subscription you have. The Safety plans will incur a ten-cent charge when anyone executes a location ping from your MapShare page. There's no additional charge for pings in the Recreation, Expedition, or Extreme plans.

I called Garmin this morning to double-check my understanding that there's no way to ping from my Inreach to another Inreach. You can send a text from Inreach to Inreach but there's no way to just ping the other Inreach to see where that person is.

I also learned a bit more about location pings. If someone tries to ping you and you have the Inreach powered down, the ping of course will not be able to find you. But the next time you power up, your Inreach will find an unanswered ping request and will respond. The agent said the unanswered ping request will remain active for up to five days.

She also told me a ping to an already-powered-up Inreach (with a satellite view) may take as much as 20 minutes.

If you know other Inreach users, it might be a good idea to exchange Inreach-to-Inreach addresses now in case you ever want to communicate with them (via texts) while you're both out of cell-tower reach.

You can see your Inreach address by selecting Account | My Info in your account on the web. It's below your email address.

Your Inreach address looks like an email address. However, Garmin has set up their servers to only allow messages to that address to go through if they've originated from another Inreach. (It's reportedly done that way to avoid spam emails).

Once you have another person's Inreach-to-Inreach address, you can store it in the Contacts listing for that person. When you start to address a new message, you'll see that person's name multiple times. The selection with the back-to-back arrowheads is the one to check off if you want to send an Inreach-to-Inreach message to him or her.

Also-- It's conceivable that you could want to send someone your Inreach-to-Inreach address (or your MapShare page address) while you're traveling out of cell-tower reach. You can of course write those adddresses down or put them on a label on your device. Another idea would be to put them in one of your Quick Text messages, ready to send when necessary or just there for you to retrieve when needed.

Sorry if this seems like it's getting way too complicated. Hopefully anyone needing the functions will be able to follow.

Thanks for the info OC. I got my inReach working and have been doing some testing with it. I have found a bug in the system I think. I am in Idaho, and I have replicated the ability to make my unit send out an i'm okay and make it look like I am in Connecticut. I am not sure how I made it go there but it has happened three times. I am going to try it a couple more times and contact them with the info.

idahoron said:
Thanks for the info OC. I got my inReach working and have been doing some testing with it. I have found a bug in the system I think. I am in Idaho, and I have replicated the ability to make my unit send out an i'm okay and make it look like I am in Connecticut. I am not sure how I made it go there but it has happened three times. I am going to try it a couple more times and contact them with the info.
Wow. I didn't know that's even possible.

Hopefully Garmin Support can get that resolved quickly for you.

I had a question for them so I tried calling in this morning and had forgotten they're closed on weekends (and this is a holiday weekend, to boot). If you want to try to work on the issue this weekend, you might want to connect the Inreach to your computer and do a sync to be sure you're on the latest firmware and let that sync process restart your Inreach. That might be a good idea anyway as the tech support folks always seem to want to be sure you're on the very latest before they dig into a problem. I'm half-convinced firmware loads sometimes go wrong or perhaps they're corrupted after the load. In any case, you may want to sync and re-test for the Connecticut issue before making the call.

As a retired firmware engineer whose frequent tasks included creating the firmware preparation, firmware update, debugging over the phone although more frequently with other engineers early on in a project, I commiserate both with the user and with the support team.

Supporting a user on such a technical process with many unknowns is quite a challenge and can be tedious for both parties.
The support person wants to learn what caused the problem to not only resolve the customer's immediate problem but to eliminate the cause for future updates. As such, it helps immensely to be on current firmware where the problem may still exist but at least both sides are at a known state.

Firmware downloads can certainly fail but it shouldn't brick the unit if the firmware engineer did his job correctly. At most, it should only require restarting the process and trying again.

If it is an unknown bug, the engineers must be able to replicate it in the lab before they can fix it & add a test case to the regression tests to detect if the problem gets reintroduced later. Keep good notes on how you can make the bug appear. It will shorten the time to solve your problem.

Paul

I have synced the unit several times over the last few days. This might not be a bug so much as user error or misuse. But I can make it look like I am in Connecticut. And if you allow someone else to use your administrator page you could end up sending an I'm okay and it will not be where your at.

If someone else would like to try it that would be great.

This needs to be the first thing you do with the inReach for the day. It doesn't matter what time of the day. This test needs to be the first thing you send for the day. Take your unit outside and let it hook up. Turn your computer on and have the inReach administrator page open. The one where you have the tabs at the top and like Home, Map,inbox, sync. Have the map page open and follow below.

#1-Now tell everyone that will get the "i"m okay" to not open it.
#2- send and i"m okay"
#3- Quickly before anyone looks at it, go to your computer and erase the I'm okay.
Then look at the message. I send the I'm okay to my phone and email. So I have looked at it with both. I looked at it on my wife's phone, and my son's and my cousins.
I have done this 4 times now and every when I click on the link to see the map it says I am in Connecticut.

idahoron said:
I have synced the unit several times over the last few days. This might not be a bug so much as user error or misuse. But I can make it look like I am in Connecticut. And if you allow someone else to use your administrator page you could end up sending an I'm okay and it will not be where your at.

If someone else would like to try it that would be great.

This needs to be the first thing you do with the inReach for the day. It doesn't matter what time of the day. This test needs to be the first thing you send for the day. Take your unit outside and let it hook up. Turn your computer on and have the inReach administrator page open. The one where you have the tabs at the top and like Home, Map,inbox, sync. Have the map page open and follow below.

#1-Now tell everyone that will get the "i"m okay" to not open it.
#2- send and i"m okay"
#3- Quickly before anyone looks at it, go to your computer and erase the I'm okay.
Then look at the message. I send the I'm okay to my phone and email. So I have looked at it with both. I looked at it on my wife's phone, and my son's and my cousins.
I have done this 4 times now and every when I click on the link to see the map it says I am in Connecticut.
I was thinking it shouldn't matter whether it's an OK message or not so I tried following your directions with a test message (rather than a preset) to my email while I had the admin-screen map up. I heard the email arrive in my inbox as I refreshed the admin map a couple of times and the blue-arrow showed up. I deleted that blue arrow and then switched to email and clicked on the link in the email. That brought up a map showing my position correctly.

HOWEVER-- It took me a few minutes to write the paragraph above. I then tried the link in the email again. This time it showed me a zoomed-out map of the world (instead of my position). And when I zoomed in to see where the map was centered, guess where I landed? Just east of Milford, Connecticut. Zooming in as far as I can go before it turns to a photo, the screen appears to be centered at a point in the ocean off Morningside Beach. There's no icon there, by the way.

That appears to be some kind of default position the map goes to when the blue-arrow position info is missing. I can't imagine why.

Interesting find!

These two posts are great to present to the Garmin folks. You documented the issue you found and the the steps needed to replicate it. Someone else was able to replicate your findings so the Garmin folks should have enough facts to work the problem. Copy your texts, and Old Crows or a link to same & offer to send to Garmin. See what happens.

For normal products, I suspect this would be filed to be fixed when time is available or in the next major upgrade. However, this is a product advertised for, and most people purchase for potential life critical situations where providing an accurate position of the user is the major function of the unit. So they may decide it is high priority if not a showstopper bug.

Time will tell.
Paul

Back
Top Bottom