Question - Trash management

smlobx

Lost again
So we'll be picking up our Hallmark in a few weeks and given that we don't have a lot of storage I'm wondering what everyone does about their trash, particularly when you're in the backcountry for several days.

Do you stick a Trasheroo on the back?
What about if you're in bear country?

Thanks!

Trasharoo on the Jeep. Usually just plastic bags with the camper. Toss em inside the camper when moving. I've yet to have an issue with bears where I usually camp. In places with real bear problems where they supply bear boxes and trash cans I'll certainly use those.

People laugh when I say it...

Predator-Pee, Wolf Urine.

Wolves are at the top of the 4 legged kingdom's food chain.
I've seen foot print evidence of bears in the Southern Sierra outside the area I've sprayed, but, never inside or close to the camper.
The question is if I did nothing, would I get the same results, and the answer is, I don't know.
It's easy, safe, not harmful to anyone and is not that expensive.

I just use small trash bags and toss them at the gas stations whenever I fill up. If i am camped in one area for over a week then I start putting anything that may smell inside a gallon zip lock bag.

Depends on where I camp! Mostly I follow the rules of eating/food prep and food storage-don't temp the wild life with exposed goodies and keep the food scent away from living areas. In the back country use small waste paper can for daily storage (kept in Pop-up!) and transfer to a large trash bag when full. Again depending on location/concerns I keep the large trash bags under the truck during the day and put in cab at night-not in camper. When not in camp put garbage under cover and if public containers are available use for all waste disposal. Agreed-- territorial human/dog scent marking of camp boundaries also appears to help :p --no kidding!

Smoke

Alley-kat wrote: "People laugh when I say it...

Predator-Pee, Wolf Urine.

Wolves are at the top of the 4 legged kingdom's food chain.
I've seen foot print evidence of bears in the Southern Sierra outside the area I've sprayed, but, never inside or close to the camper.
The question is if I did nothing, would I get the same results, and the answer is, I don't know.
It's easy, safe, not harmful to anyone and is not that expensive."

Consider that humans are pretty much on top pf the food chain.

I was taught many years ago by very experienced outdoors-men that urinating a circle around their tent, camper, whatever will keep the critters away. They were adamant that it worked. So I started doing the same when backpacking.

When backpacking I normally sleep out without a tent. I have done a lot of backpacking trips and tent camper out of a car in California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado Arizona and Canada (plus a few trips in Wyoming, Montana and Nevada) over the past 50+ years and the only time I have ever had trouble is when I didn't urinate a circle around my camp.

The one notable occasion is when I was tent camping from a car in a National Forest Campground. A gang (gaze) of raccoons came into my camp and went through everything that I left out. One even came over to my tent and urinated on it while I was in it! The next night I made my circle. The Raccoons came into camp again - but only as far as my circle then they stopped and chattered loudly while walking around it but came no closer. They finally moved on and I went back to sleep satisfied that I prevailed.

I have slept out on a Backpacking trip when a Bear has come into camp and I was not bothered by the Bear.

I am convinced that this technique works consistently. Will it work every time? I have no idea.

Seems to me that technique would work around a camper as well. Cheaper than Wolf urine. However, I'll bet the Wolf urine works too.

;-)

BTW: When backpacking I carry one of the light weight Bear canisters my company makes (I am refraining from plugging my product here but the backpackers among you will know it as the light weight carbon fiber and Aluminum Bear canister). I also carry one when car/tent camping in Bear country where I will not have access to a Forest or Park service Bear box in a campground. Black Bears, in particular, are very intelligent and more nimble than a cat. Once they get rewarded by obtaining food they can become relentless and very destructive in their efforts, As a part of the development of the Bear canisters I interviewed a number of Bear experts in the Forest and Park service as well as tested our products with Grizzly and Black Bears - I learned a great deal about these animals and I have a healthy respect for them.

Bottom line: Make sure Bears don't get your food by leaving waste water, trash or food where they can get it. If a Bear can smell it and see it, it will try to get it even if it is in your car. In places like Yosemite and Sequoia as well as a few other places Bears regularly break into cars and tents to to get food. Success just makes themmore determined the next time.

Craig

The Lady & I have used the urinate 'round the camp method for over thirty years. Animals always have their noses to the ground checking out who's in the area. We tell them.Textbook information on bears, Craig and canisters are the way to go. We started backpacking with canisters over 10 years ago. They make life so easy in regards to food management and quickly become part of the routine. We do need to switch over to your brand, they are the top of the line.

In regards to trash, we keep it to a minimum by simple meals and keeping everything clean; simple, easy meals on long trips. On longer trips and several days away from a convenient dumpster we carry a large cotton bag (washable) that we can hoist up high while away from the camper and overnight. In bear country the trash goes in a bear canister.

What are canisters? Are they containers that you travel with or are you guys talking about bear proof garbage cans at camp sites or something else?

Anyone remember the old Farley Mowait book "Never Cry Wolf"? That's what he did; that is pee around his camp to keep the wolf from his door! Don't know if I learned about that method from him or not, but it seems that I have used that method forever when back camping or just camping. Again I should mention-the secret still is the same-don't temp the wild critters in the first place! If nothing else I think it makes you think that you have some control over the situation. Over the years I've heard people say it does not help at all especially dog pee in bear country-but I'm still alive as are some of the other users of this method that have posted on this thread :cautious: .

Smoke

Alley-Kat

You wrote:

"Some better than others." <== This is true
"Un-openable by bears, and some humans." <== some canisters brands have been opened by Bears

- caveat emptor

I need to point out that the link you provided does not cover all Bear canisters or even all Bear canisters for backpackers..

There are other types of Bear resistant containers used by rafting companies (drums and boxes) and Horse/Mule packing companies (panniers) as well as those permanently mounted to the ground in campgrounds that are much larger and heavier than those used by backpackers. There are even Bear resistant coolers (ice chests) for car and truck campers like us.

For anyone considering a Bear canister they should do more homework than looking at Amazon. Some canister models have been broken into by Bears. Not trying to start a debate here just advising prospective buyers to do some homework related to how they want to use the canister. Weight and size matters a great deal to Backpackers but perhaps not so much to a person tent or camper camping. I do not know as much about the performance of the larger non-backpacker type Bear resistant canisters but based on my knowledge and experience with Bear resistant containers for backpackers a prospective buyer should do some reading and learn about the differences and which containers are the most reliable (as I wrote there are some brands that have been broken into).

For truck campers that will be spending time in areas with Bear problems it may make sense to rent or even purchase an ice chest size bear resistant food storage container (chest, box, drum or pannier type). They are not cheap and will run $300 and likely more but considering the cost of food and a ruined trip it may be worth considering.

Here are some links as starting points for more research (there are many other choices at other links not included here):

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bear-resistant-canisters.html

http://www.coolersonsale.com/best-cooler-for-camping/

https://andrewskurka.com/2012/bear-canister-shopping-guide/

http://robertsonenterprises.net/BearProofContainers/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/TrailMax-Bear-Proof-Pack-Panniers-pair/productinfo/WPA500/

http://www.highcountryplastics.com/products/pack-gear/hard-side-panniers-bear-proof-panniers

http://haulall.com/contain/product/?loc=ab&prod=134

http://www.kanzoutdoors.com/field_pantry.html

http://www.bear-aware.com/index.php/our-products

Disclaimer: I am not promoting or recommending any product here. This is simply information readily available on the web that is provided as a convenient starting point for interested persons to do their own research.

Regards,

Craig

I was wondering how much beer I'd have to drink to urinate around the camp ( unless a complete perimeter is not required); but then i remembered the thetford porta potty my wife uses during the night . She never puts tp in so maybe I'll get a little watering can and secure the border on our spring trip to Yellowstone

I use a dry bag for trash. It's one of those heavy duty waterproof bags you take on rafting trips. Mine happens to be the SealLine brand. While in camp cooking or whatever i hang it on the side of the camper. At night or during travel i roll up the top and toss it in the truck or camper. It never leaks garbage juice and it keeps the smell inside. Once back at home or at a gas station i dump the contents. Simple and easy.

A friend uses a used air bag (car crash type) for his trash bag. They're usually made from woven kevlar, though while a bear might not be able to rip it, it isn't secure either. They're usually cheap to free.......

With a swing-away mounted spare the Trasharoo is a given. Ours is so faded I'd thinking that we need to replace it before it fails on the road.

Kolockum said:
I just use small trash bags and toss them at the gas stations whenever I fill up. If i am camped in one area for over a week then I start putting anything that may smell inside a gallon zip lock bag.
Standard zip-loc bags don't even pass the 'Beagle' test. Simon can smell food (and garbage) in them easily. Bears have a much better sense of smell. I have used Opsack Resealable Odor Proof Storage & Transport bags a few times; expensive and pass the Beagle test (never tried them on bears).

1Tardis said:
I was wondering how much beer I'd have to drink to urinate around the camp ( unless a complete perimeter is not required); but then i remembered the thetford porta potty my wife uses during the night . She never puts tp in so maybe I'll get a little watering can and secure the border on our spring trip to Yellowstone
I was thinking the same thing. Then I remembered: I have a pee bottle that is usually half full in the morning. Added to during the day, I should have enough to circle my camp.

ntsqd said:
A friend uses a used air bag (car crash type) for his trash bag. They're usually made from woven kevlar, though while a bear might not be able to rip it, it isn't secure either. They're usually cheap to free.......

With a swing-away mounted spare the Trasharoo is a given. Ours is so faded I'd thinking that we need to replace it before it fails on the road.
I made a hanging food bag out of deployed air bags when I backpacked a lot. It is Spectra cloth (the same stuff used for bullet-proof vests) and most junk yards will just give them to you. Bears supposedly can't rip it, although they probably could easily separate the seams. It works great for keeping little critters out of the sack when hung for bears. Have it in the camper storing my supply of freeze dried swill.

The little garbage I generate goes into the 5 gallon bucket with Gamma Seal lid that is my commode. Bucket lid has some type of diaper pail odor eliminator thing sticking on it. Bucket is stored in the camper and is dumped at first opportunity (usually at gas fill-up).

jim

ntsqd,

Black Bears are highly intelligent and have solved opening latches to waste bins in several parks. In some cases two Bears actually coordinate to do this. Think about that!

Any container that:
1) allows a Bear to get its jaws around it - i.e. anything smaller than about 8" in diameter x 8" long and
2) does not have a very secure closure mechanism (consider that Black Bears have opened screw lid containers by unscrewing them)

will be vulnerable to a Bear trying to get into it. Also soft sided containers tend to get chewed on and dragged off. Even if the Bear does not get all the food it may be rewarded with some juices and whatnot from the well masticated food in the container.

I suspect the bag you are talking about would be no trouble at all for a Black Bear to defeat.

Black Bears have good memories and will use techniques again that have worked before. So once the Bear is rewarded by getting into something it will remember and probably be able to get in again. Worse it knows it got in before so it often will try harder and longer the next time.

The National Park service in Yosemite, Sequoia, Olympic and North Cascades have learned all this from Bears that gradually become better and better at breaking into things and in the end they have to be put down They now have a simple motto - "a fed Bear is a dead Bear".

I hope none of us want to inadvertently kill Bears by allowing them to get fed because we didn't take appropriate precautions with our food. It is our responsibility to protect out food in an appropriate and secure manner.

Remember, that it is not the Bears fault if they get our food.

Regards,
Craig

(P.S. I have a patent plus a lot of experience with testing and manufacturing containers that keep Bears away from Backpackers food since 1999)

ckent323 said:
I was taught many years ago by very experienced outdoors-men that urinating a circle around their tent, camper, whatever will keep the critters away.
This didn't work for me. I woke up to a black bear sniffing 6 inches from my head. It was pretty wild. I was amazed by the volume of air that was moving up his nose. You could tell it had big nostrils.

I was motorcycle tent camping, so I had nowhere to go. I put on my helmet and made noise, the bear did not go away. He was pushing on the front door of my tent and I hit it with my hatchet. It wasn't until then that he left.

I still have the hole in my tent to this day. I use it all the time too, but only to store stuff while I sleep cozy in the Hawk.

Back
Top Bottom