Questions about tire and axle loading

kevg

I've got a Ford F250 3/4 Ton 2014 SRW SuperDuty SuperCab XLT 4x2 6.75" Short Bed Gas Engine truck.

The first question is about the tires which I think I know the answer to: I have Load Range E tires with a max load of 3195#. My GVWR is 10,000#. Focusing on the rear tires, my rear GAWR is 6200#, so is it correct to say that the weaker link is the axle (at 6200#) because the two rear tires can support 3195*2 = 6390#?

The second question is that I went to get the truck weighed at a scale and the rear axle load (without camper) is 2820#. I believe this means I can put up to 6200-2820 = 3380# on the rear axle right?

If so, does all of the weight of a truck camper go on the rear axle? If so, then that would mean that my camper wet weight can't go over 3380# right?

A better way to say it is the weight on your rear axle is the limiting factor for how much you can/should carry. I think the tires are the weakest link simple because they're an inflatable device subject to puncture damage. You'll also notice your GVWR is less than the sum of your combined front and rear axle limits.

How much of your load shows up on the rear axle will depend on the CG of the load. It the load was over the rear axle or behind not much if any would be carried by the front axle. The further the CG of your load moves forward the more the front axle will carry.

It is a linear relationship so that if the center of gravity (cg) of the load is half way between the axles then the load will be shared equally by both axles. Two thirds of the way to the rear axle then two-thirds of the load for the rear and one third for the front. Only if the cg of the camper is over the rear axle will you have the situation you fear. If you are thinking about a pop-up camper that doesn't extend beyond your bed, your 3/4 ton truck should have no trouble unless you fill it full of gold bars.

If you have that many gold bars, spend one and get a nice flatbed to put your camper on. :)

Alan

Back
Top Bottom