Questions about Traveling through Quebec

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
OK, first forgive me because this isn't Western...and maybe also forgive me if this is a silly question. :rolleyes:

My question: Will not speaking French in French-speaking Canada be a problem of any kind as a passing-through tourist?
I've heard that French Canadians take their language seriously -- maybe even more than in France.

The idea would be to drive east across southern Quebec, using that route to access Maine from the northeast. Probably only a day or two in the French lands.

Thanks.

Not a silly question.

I lived for a year in Quebec, and spent a fair amount of time there when I lived in Toronto as well. It was my impression that Quebecois were impatient with Canadians who didn't bother to speak French, but were pretty welcoming to visiting Yanks. Basic stuff --Bon jour, merci, pardon, even if horribly accented, might be taken as a courtesy.

It's a really interesting place historically and has some beautiful country. I really like Quebec and the Quebecois, but then I'm kinda Francophile anyhow, even though my French is really pretty limited.

What time of year will you travel? The spring is very late; the autumn is beyond belief beautiful, but you can get pretty cold by Halloween. And there are lots of blackflies in the summer and it's humid.

Thanks, N'kwala. :)

Timing: early/mid-October is a good guess for when I'll be in that region.
I'm heading out on an extended cross-country road trip wander at the end of next week.

MarkBC said:
Thanks, N'kwala. :)

Timing: early/mid-October is a good guess for when I'll be in that region.
I'm heading out on an extended cross-country road trip wander at the end of next week.
Looking forward to your trip report. I did a cross country trip mid October 2011, great time of year to travel.

French Canadians DO take their language very serious - My experience has been a small attempt to speak French goes a long way in gaining some acceptance. Southern Quebec is less staunch about French Culture than the North. As you move more North it is not uncommon to find people who speak no english.

You will be driving thru Quebec during a Federal Election - so might find that interesting.

Quebec is one of my favourite provinces. Be sure to stop for Poutine and Smoked meat Sandwiches.

For what it's worth, we met some folks (French/Canadians from Quebec) camped next to us on our recent travels through Canada. They spoke perfect English to us with a French accent and a mixture of French and English within their family including several children. We couldn't discern a pattern as to when they spoke French or English- sometimes both in the same sentence.

My grandad, grandmother, and mother didn't have a great time while traveling through Quebec on a cross-country trip in the late 90's. Unusual for my grandfather, he had nothing good to say about the experience and passed no opportunity to express no desire to ever go back. This from a man whose lineage is 1/4 French (which I guess makes me 1/16th French), but did not speak that language.

Things like bilingual street signs vigorously enforced throughout the rest of the country, except in Quebec where he frequently encountered french only signs and a blase' attitude about adding the English. To him this was very elitist and there was little that he had more disdain for. I've a few friends in BC and Alberta who really don't want anything to do with Quebec and were actually hopeful that their efforts to succeed would work. Based on my family's experiences with Quebec and those who lived there, coupled with what those friends have said about Quebec, I've no interest in the province at all.

My wife and I were in western Quebec in early July and enjoyed it immensely. Up to a week ago I was planning to go back up there this coming week to show my brothers what an interesting place it is. But it turns out one brother doesn't have a current passport so now we'll be going to the Adirondacks and Vermont instead (Poor me!).

My wife and I go up there every few years since it's only a day's drive from home to the border. We have a bit of high-school French and do understand road signs and menus but can't do much beyond that in the language. We've never been disrespected or insulted for any reason, much less our lack of proficiency in French or because we're American. On this last trip we were in fact amused when we kept encountering teenagers who so earnestly wanted to practice their English on us. That doesn't mean we've not occasionally been a bit frustrated because of language differences but our contacts with people up there have been overwhelmingly on the positive side.

We've been all over the place up there. Montreal and Quebec City, of course, but also the up around Lac Saint Jean (St. Felicien Zoo!) and the Saguenay Fjord (belugas at Tadoussac!), Cape Gaspe (caribou in the Chic-Choc mountains!, Atlantic salmon fishing! International Appalachian Trail!) and down the Quebec leg of the Trans-Labrador Highway (Fermant to Baie Comeau). Our trip in July went from the provincial border just north of Ottawa up through Val D'Or and Rouyn-Noranda.

Hope I'm not to late and you are on the road but I have driven that route many times and there are a few places along the way especially as one gets up there along the North Maine Woods region where many folks don't speak English... one can get by with a smile and pantomime ... If you are going to enter USA along route 201 down to Jackman Maine It is a fun ride and there is the possibility you could also decide to take a wild ride into The North Maine woods as they have opened a gate just north of Jackman. It is an electronic gate....so go to Jackman to the general store gas station on right side of 201. You can fill get directions there to the road. It is a road you'd have trouble finding as it is only for logging trucks... it allows you to enter the NMW which is huge private woodlands. You will need extra gas probably. The roads are ... wild... get a Maine road Atlas at the store. No cell phones up there. If you follow logging roads you can camp at the sites along the way. It is a rough place but can be the best trip of a lifetime. Hunting season should be googled as if it is Moose or Bear it will be 'crowded' (few sites). If you do this please let me know how it went. I have been going to the NMW for 40 years and love it.

Thanks to all who gave helpful input. :)
As it turns out, however, I won't be able to apply it this trip. I decided to take a route around the south side of the Great Lakes and am approaching Maine from the west.
Tonight I'm camped in Grand Isle S.P., Vermont, in the middle of Lake Champlain. Tomorrow I'll wind my way east through the White Mts, New Hampshire.

ski3pin said:
How are the northeastern fall colors Mr. BC?
Well, Mr. 3pin, I'd say it's good but not yet at peak -- not in the places I've been so far.

But most of the forests I've been driving through in the north woods -- whether it's northern MN, MI, or NY -- have a lot of variety, a lot of different species mixed together. So there are places where I'm seeing brilliant red spots -- trees -- mixed in with other deciduous trees that are still a healthy green. I guess I've seen the most color this morning driving through the central Adirondacks of upstate NY -- maybe because they're higher. Where I'm camped on Lake Champlain -- even though it's northern VT -- it's only 100 feet elevation.
I gotta say that I'm really liking the variety of these deciduous/broadleaf forests -- really beautiful, even without fall color. More textural variation than western conifer forests -- I like it. :)
Of course, as we know, I'm happy with just a few scattered sagebrush, too, and no trees, so not saying I'm going to be moving here. ;)

I think I'm going to be spending several days getting into and out of Maine, so I bet the red receptors of my eyes will be getting a workout before I leave New England and head south/west.

If you get a chance go across the Kangamangus Highway on your travels across NH.
It is at a higher elevation and should be fantastic leaf viewing now...

smlobx said:
If you get a chance go across the Kangamangus Highway on your travels across NH.
It is at a higher elevation and should be fantastic leaf viewing now...
Well, in fact I camped at Passaconaway C.G. along the Swift River last night!
And I bought the T-shirt "Camp the Kanc" just now at the SACO ranger station. :)
Maples are brilliant red but most other stuff is still green.

Enjoyed the links to your blog. Relived the trips we did up there. Lots to see but timing is tricky with old Mother Nature and leaves. This year has been a wonderful color year...hope you had same on your trip. Attached is a shot in our front pasture this early morning. Makes one stop and stare.

Attachments

• IMG_8508.jpeg
    IMG_8508.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 114

Back
Top Bottom