Questions for FWC Shell Water and Propane Set Up

jaketrailhead

Hi folks,

I have a 2017 FWC Swift Shell model sitting on my 2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew FX4.

The Swift is completely barebones, just came with 1 fan and wiring for solar, did not come with the popane housing/kitchen unit. I've outfitted it myself with a front bench seat that houses the 100Ah lithium, 200W solar, Renogy charge controller, as well as a fridge, kitchen unit, Lagun swivel table, closet, and an Alu-Cab shadow awning.

After my first shakedown trip this past weekend, I realized the hand pump faucet with the blue 7 gallon aqua-tainer water jug was not going to cut it, nor was the disposable green propane bottles.

Goals:
  1. Running water with pump and filter
  2. Faucet at the sink
  3. A place to attach a hose to bring pressurized water outside for shower/rinse off feet or dishes
  4. At least 10 gallons of water in a proper water tank
  5. A 5 or 10 lb propane bottle mounted outside (may use AT Overland or Mule brackets)
  6. Propane hose routed into the camper to attach to camp stove or mr heater buddy
Questions:
  1. What are the recommended water pumps, filters, faucets, and water tanks? Anything I need to consider?
  2. Where do I find quality faucet options?
  3. Any ideas on how to go about attaching a hose to bring water outside? Any faucets with a hose attachment on the outlet?
  4. Any tips on mounting a propane tank on the outside and routing the hose inside?
Any information is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Welcome Jake to the cult.
There is a whole thread posted by Ski 3 pin about how he built out his
ATC Bobcat back around 2013.

I am sure other members will have better info about where to find Ski's build.

Have fun with your build.
Frank

You might consider looking at what ATC and FWC actually do. Find one close by and take a lot of photos. Amazon and Home Depot are your friends. Surflo for faucets/pumps and Dometic for sink/stoves are brands that cater to your needs. Plastic-Mart.com and tank-depot.com will consume many hours of your time while finding the right water tank. I did most of what you are planning, except the outside shower. It is work. It is hard work on 90+ degree days. You will be amazed at how many more tools you will own when you are done. I am glad I did my own build, it is awesome and much better for my needs than the ready-made versions.

jakethetrailhead said:
Hi folks,

I have a 2017 FWC Swift Shell model sitting on my 2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew FX4.

The Swift is completely barebones, just came with 1 fan and wiring for solar, did not come with the popane housing/kitchen unit. I've outfitted it myself with a front bench seat that houses the 100Ah lithium, 200W solar, Renogy charge controller, as well as a fridge, kitchen unit, Lagun swivel table, closet, and an Alu-Cab shadow awning.

After my first shakedown trip this past weekend, I realized the hand pump faucet with the blue 7 gallon aqua-tainer water jug was not going to cut it, nor was the disposable green propane bottles.

Goals:

• Running water with pump and filter
  • Faucet at the sink
  • A place to attach a hose to bring pressurized water outside for shower/rinse off feet or dishes
  • At least 10 gallons of water in a proper water tank
  • A 5 or 10 lb propane bottle mounted outside (may use AT Overland or Mule brackets)
  • Propane hose routed into the camper to attach to camp stove or mr heater buddy
Questions:
  • What are the recommended water pumps, filters, faucets, and water tanks? Anything I need to consider?
  • Where do I find quality faucet options?
  • Any ideas on how to go about attaching a hose to bring water outside? Any faucets with a hose attachment on the outlet?
  • Any tips on mounting a propane tank on the outside and routing the hose inside?
Any information is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Check out the many build threads on this site for ideas too. I’ve done three builds now and am very happy with the results. As for your questions, do check out marine supply places vs RV gear. Much higher quality. I used PKYS.com for a lot of my electrical gear. I found my sink and stove (low profile glass lid SMEV gear) at an RV parts recycler for MUCH less than MRSP.

FWC and ATC will sell you parts. I got my water pump and one water tank there.

I have a fold away Shurflo (cold water only) faucet that I got on Amazon.

For water outside, I used the factory location for the drain valve, I replaced the valve with a high quality brass ball valve type, and ran the water line from the pump (through and awesome 3m water filtration system) to the sink and the outside valve. We use it a lot, as we almost never cook inside.

Make sure you put your heavy gear at the front of the camper to help with handling/weight balance. That includes the fridge/cooler. We had the fridge at the back (very handy for food prep outside) but ended up moving it to the front in the last build to avoid the “bouncy road fridge surprise” we encountered more than once.

That’s all I can think of for now

Back
Top Bottom