Quick fix for the factory screen door slider - Now it slides nice and smooth!

Hodakaguy

Quick fix for the factory screen door slider: The factory clear plastic slider on our screen door is frustrating at best. When you go to slide it I've found that you have to put even pressure on the upper and lower finger holds while sliding otherwise the slider often binds and doesn't want to slide..... Time for a fix.

Here's a few pictures of the clear factory slider panel. You can see the molded finger grabs in these pics, they work ok if you grab both of them at the same time but the slider often binds when using only one.

IMG_0245-X2.jpg

IMG_0241-X2.jpg

IMG_0242-X2.jpg

And now the fix. I Went to the hardware store and picked out two matching drawer pulls. Pick ones that have a wide flared base for better support.

IMG_0238-X2.jpg

I cut one of the bolts down so that each half of the bolt threads almost completely into each pull. Screw the bolt into one of the knobs and mark where it bottoms out (Black marker), then doubled the length and cut the bolt just shy of the total so it leaves enough space to tighten the knobs together tightly without them binding.

IMG_0243-X2.jpg

IMG_0244-X2.jpg

Next I Drilled a hole in the door slider right between the two factory finger holds

IMG_0248-X2.jpg

IMG_0253-X2.jpg

Applied LocTite on the threads and installed the new knob assembly onto the slider.

IMG_0250-X2.jpg

IMG_0251-X2.jpg

IMG_0255-X2.jpg

IMG_0258-X2.jpg

IMG_0256-X2.jpg

IMG_0257-X2.jpg

IMG_0259-X3.jpg

The slider now slides smooth every time using the new knob since your applying pressure evenly on the top and bottom of the slider, it's also a lot easier to grab than the factory finger holds. The knob has plenty of clearance and doesn't interfere with anything. This will make the screen door a lot nicer to use and cost only $3!

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy said:
Quick fix for the factory screen door slider: The factory clear plastic slider on our screen door is frustrating at best. When you go to slide it I've found that you have to put even pressure on the upper and lower finger holds while sliding otherwise the slider often binds and doesn't want to slide..... Time for a fix.

Here's a few pictures of the clear factory slider panel. You can see the molded finger grabs in these pics, they work ok if you grab both of them at the same time but the slider often binds when using only one.

IMG_0245-X2.jpg

IMG_0241-X2.jpg

IMG_0242-X2.jpg

And now the fix. I Went to the hardware store and picked out two matching drawer pulls. Pick ones that have a wide flared base for better support.

IMG_0238-X2.jpg

I cut one of the bolts down so that each half of the bolt threads almost completely into each pull. Screw the bolt into one of the knobs and mark where it bottoms out (Black marker), then doubled the length and cut the bolt just shy of the total so it leaves enough space to tighten the knobs together tightly without them binding.

IMG_0243-X2.jpg

IMG_0244-X2.jpg

Next I Drilled a hole in the door slider right between the two factory finger holds

IMG_0248-X2.jpg

IMG_0253-X2.jpg

Applied LocTite on the threads and installed the new knob assembly onto the slider.

IMG_0250-X2.jpg

IMG_0251-X2.jpg

IMG_0255-X2.jpg

IMG_0258-X2.jpg

IMG_0256-X2.jpg

IMG_0257-X2.jpg

IMG_0259-X3.jpg

The slider now slides smooth every time using the new knob since your applying pressure evenly on the top and bottom of the slider, it's also a lot easier to grab than the factory finger holds. The knob has plenty of clearance and doesn't interfere with anything. This will make the screen door a lot nicer to use and cost only $3!

Hodakaguy
Nice! Going to try this when we get back!

Thanks for this post, great idea. The closeup pictures are also helping me position the updated latch on my screen door!! I’ll be at FWC on Monday to get exact measurements.

Has anyone replaced their sliding door yet? On my 2015 Hawk it dry rotted from UV I imagine and cracked. I have only found a white replacement would really like the clear one.

Just did the same. Found small satin finished drawer pulls that matched the Fleet trim. Thanks to the new handle, and a little silicon spray in the tracks, the slider works smoothly now with one finger. Hodakaguy, thanks for posting photos. I had a similar thought after trying the slider for the first time but forgot about it until I saw your post.

Back
Top Bottom