Quick Trip Down the East Side

SLO_F-250

Hey Guys! I figured I would throw some pictures up here from my girl and I's little trip home from Tahoe. We decided to take the 395 down and enjoy the east side a bit.

Also a big thanks to everyone who recommended spots for us to check out.

Now for some pictures!

Always gotta start with a shot of the RIG! :D
PC300108_zpsf230990b.jpg

We stopped of a Mono lake to take in the view and have a snack! Wow what a cool area all covered in Snow!
PC300104_zps4d1f016a.jpg

Then we made our way to the Hot Creek Hot Spring area behind Mammoth Lakes airport. We have been there before and it was a good thing! The roads had lots of snow on them and were slightly hard to navigate, but luckily plenty of locals had been there and broken tracks a bit. We still defiantly found ourselves in some 12"-18" deep snow at times. The ole Ford handled it all no problem and we found a GREAT spot by ourselves at Shepard's Hot Spring. Let me tell ya, it was WARM and felt great after some hours in the truck.

20121231_095003_zps5bb30eb3.jpg

PC300110_zps902e6eb1.jpg

So here are some picts from that evening. Still working on my photography skills and editing so dont be too harsh! haha

20121230_161717_zps875bc848.jpg

20121230_161729_zpsf786c4aa.jpg

PC300115_zps01a94e54.jpg

The sunset that evening was spectacular looking towards Mammoth Mnt and the Sierras. It all went dim but the White Mountains were Lit up!

PC300114_zps6e1ff61b.jpg

As we sat there watching it all happen it was FUNNY to think we rode/hiked our way to the top of it early fall that year. (picts in a separate report)

It was almost a full moon that night and we woke up about 3:00am to check it out. My thermometer read -6 degrees! HOLY CRAP! Luckily the camper heater kept it bearable while sleeping at 45 degrees. I sure did move up all new weather stripping and insulation under the camper to the top of the list that night! LOL!

Morning Time.... It was Amazing and warmed up very nice in the sun!

20121231_094956_zps04de245b.jpg

PC310161_zps0a77c9af.jpg

PC310159_zps95978918.jpg

PC310157_zps52e46636.jpg

It was so nice that morning we were able to sit and hang out and taking in the scenery around us.

PC310153_zps062d898e.jpg

We then went for a little snowshoe around the surrounding area. It was fun and coole to see the natural hot spring pools where people grab the water and pipe down to the manmade tubs.

PC310168_zpsab5f499e.jpg

Now it was time to head out. It was VERY hard to start my truck as it just got way too cold that night. First time I was worried the old 7.3L was going to fire up. I think the fuel must have "gelled" a bit, but after cranking it a while, it sputtered, blew some black smoke and fired up. I was sure happy. Luckily if I had killed the batteries I could have taken the camper ones out and jumped it to try again.

On the way out I let the girl drive so I got to snap some shots. Let me tell you she had a BIG smile on her face! haha

PC310171_zps38a3f495.jpg

PC310175_zps0dd41ca6.jpg

Next up, Alabama Hills! :D

Cold but beautiful. Did you try the hot springs? Glad your camper kept you warm. We were there i September 2009: much warmer. We are thinking of heading down that way in March or April on the way to Death Valley. What about snow on 395 then? We have a 4x4 F250 so would be okay in the snow. Your camper/truck are a great combo. happy trails.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stays, looking forward to the Alabama Hills pictures. Anne and I are in Mulege at the moment, quite a contrast. You guys should consider joining us for the Baja whales in April.

We were in the same area at the same time. Saw what the temps were going to be and overnighted near Bishop instead. Only got down to a balmy 19 for us. Good for you for not wimping out like us. :D

Cold but beautiful. Did you try the hot springs? Glad your camper kept you warm. We were there i September 2009: much warmer. We are thinking of heading down that way in March or April on the way to Death Valley. What about snow on 395 then? We have a 4x4 F250 so would be okay in the snow. Your camper/truck are a great combo. happy trails.

Yes we did. Hot spring was amazing! Almost too hot. March or April you will probably see some snow still. They will keep the 395 clear so don't worry about hwy road conditions. As far as the dirt roads You will most likely be fine. It was snowing with a good base on the ground as we still made it out in the hot spring area. You rig is the same as mine so if you have time go for it. Google Hot Creek Hot Springs and you should be able to find some maps.
Thanks and Happy Trails to you as well!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stays, looking forward to the Alabama Hills pictures. Anne and I are in Mulege at the moment, quite a contrast. You guys should consider joining us for the Baja whales in April.

Thanks. Alabama Hills picts coming up! I saw the thread on the Baja trip and is sounds absolutely amazing! Thank you for the invite! Unfortunately my April is already booked up. We have some spring weddings to attend and we are both signed up to race sea otter. I see it is an annual thing so maybe next year. I would VERY much like to go with you all. Its always more fun (and safer) to travel with other people down there. I would also love to travel with a group with similar set-ups. Sounds like a blast!

We were in the same area at the same time. Saw what the temps were going to be and overnighted near Bishop instead. Only got down to a balmy 19 for us. Good for you for not wimping out like us.

Ted you are smarter than I. We pulled up at the spot and were just happy with the view etc. I didn't even think about looking at the temperature for the night! haha I wouldn't necessarily want to camp in below 0 again, but it is good to know we were comfortable!

We made it down to the Alabama Hills about 4:00pm. We should have left Mammoth earlier but were having a blast and had no idea how amazing the Alabama Hills are. It was cooling down about that time but was still hovering in the low 30's and was only expected to get low 20's that night. Felt like summer compared to where we were the night before! It was pretty funny!

PC310186_zps86b63ae8.jpg

PC310190_zpsbeb93349.jpg

20121231_165351_zps96ca4ca1.jpg

Funny enough, it was so warm to us that I got out my propane fire pit and we sat around and enjoyed a few beers before heading inside to cook dinner. I tried my hand a a number of night shots, but my camera is just not good enough. Yup, looking into getting a new one.

PC310214_zps4adbd943.jpg

New Years Eve dinner! A little Chicken breast, Veggies, and Salad... Washing it down with a few jack and cokes. Great evening in the camper! Followed that up with a movie. Pretty Mellow New Years for us! :D

PC310193_zpsa64a960d.jpg

PC310196_zps31fd4478.jpg

Next Morning was stunning. We woke up early to watch the Sierras light up with the morning sun. Very Nice!

P1010221_zps2f7268c6.jpg

P1010218_zpse034fc03.jpg

P1010222_zps251028cf.jpg

Hope ya'll enjoyed the pictures. Hope to run into some of you this year. Cheers to a new year of Adventures!
Paul

P1010228_zps71f98c8c.jpg

Hope ya'll enjoyed the pictures. Hope to run into some of you this year. Cheers to a new year of Adventures!
Paul

Yes, indeed I enjoyed your pictures and your trip report! Thanks for posting them. All the recent trip reports from the Alabama Hills make me realize I've passed by a very special spot. Next time I head to CA they will definitely be on the agenda.

Happy New Year to you, too!

The Alabama Hills are special. And, the Sierra Nevada are beautiful with their mantle of snow. The contrast with the warm boulders and the cold snowy peaks is very photogenic. I like the snow (living near Mt. Baker in Washington state which had over 1000" of snow in one year-world record) but not the cold. But, on 395 it would probably be a dry cold, not a wet cold. Alabama Hills lend themselves well to B&W photography as you show with one of your photos. We are amateur photographers shooting landscapes and concerts so I am looking forward to revisiting as I have a new camera and better skills. Bode and Bristlecones will probably be still snowed in during March but I am thinking that DV would be much warmer in April. Looks like you guys know how to eat right, too: very colorful and healthful. Thanks for the TR and now I can't wait until we leave, probably in early March for 2 or more weeks. And, we will look for the Hot Creek Hot Springs, too. You are proof that our campers can get us anywhere in any weather.

I love all your truck-in-snow and camping-in-snow photos--manly indeed! Thanks for the report, Paul.

Thanks for the nice comments guys! Now that I have been back at work cranking away for a bit all I can think about is packing the rig, grabbing the lady and getting back on the road! 12hr days behind a computer is NOT healthy. haha
Cheers! :D

................ all I can think about is packing the rig, grabbing the lady and getting back on the road!

Thanks for helping us all dream! :)

Back
Top Bottom