Quick trip to Scenic State Park

Thanks for the trip report. This may be one to visit this fall. We are thinking about Minnesota for a trip east. This place looks nice especially the canoe usage.Just looked at a map. This area is a few miles from the lake my wife's grandparents had a cabin on back in the 40s/50s,Bowstring Lk. Sounds like a nice area.
Frank

Having moved to northern California from Wisconsin your trip sure brought back memories of the old home place. Thanks!

Thanks for the trip report. This may be one to visit this fall. We are thinking about Minnesota for a trip east. This place looks nice especially the canoe usage.Just looked at a map. This area is a few miles from the lake my wife's grandparents had a cabin on back in the 40s/50s,Bowstring Lk. Sounds like a nice area.
Frank

Yes, we love the north country.

Bowstring Lk is very close to Scenic SP. The area has changed quite a bit in some ways since the 50's for sure. Lots of fancy cabins and resorts- most lakes are pretty built up. But some things don't change so much. Fall would be a great time to visit, especially if you can also get to the north shore area along Lake Superior. Very beautiful in the fall (of course also crowded as a result).

Yes, we love the north country.

Bowstring Lk is very close to Scenic SP. The area has changed quite a bit in some ways since the 50's for sure. Lots of fancy cabins and resorts- most lakes are pretty built up. But some things don't change so much. Fall would be a great time to visit, especially if you can also get to the north shore area along Lake Superior. Very beautiful in the fall (of course also crowded as a result).

Our plan is around 3rd week in sept we will stop at Yellowstone on the way.We have some friends in Winona who want us by for a fall visit. Would also like to head over to the UP,but it all might be a bit much. Time isn't really a problem just want to enjoy and not have to rush.
How high is it to the top of your camper on the truck? Mine is just at 7',but I think my 02 Tundra is a bit higher than your Tacoma. I also carry a canoe but don't load it by myself. I could but doesn't seem as safe.
Frank

Our plan is around 3rd week in sept we will stop at Yellowstone on the way.We have some friends in Winona who want us by for a fall visit. Would also like to head over to the UP,but it all might be a bit much. Time isn't really a problem just want to enjoy and not have to rush.
How high is it to the top of your camper on the truck? Mine is just at 7',but I think my 02 Tundra is a bit higher than your Tacoma. I also carry a canoe but don't load it by myself. I could but doesn't seem as safe.
Frank

I measured 6'10" to the top of the rack bars. I am 5'10" so it is doable for me. The canoe is fitted with portage pads on the center thwart which is at the balance point. I put the canoe on my shoulders and stand next to the truck (on the drivers side to avoid the antenna). I just pop the canoe up and settle one side down on the rack and then slide it over. The canoe is aluminum and weighs about 60 pounds. I am used to picking it up and portaging it through the BWCA so it is a comfortable action to perform for me. It is easier to put it on than take it off. My wife helped when we took it off at the campsite but I'm not sure that was any easier trying to coordinate two of us lifting it and putting it down. Practice will probably help with that.

I measured 6'10" to the top of the rack bars. I am 5'10" so it is doable for me. The canoe is fitted with portage pads on the center thwart which is at the balance point. I put the canoe on my shoulders and stand next to the truck (on the drivers side to avoid the antenna). I just pop the canoe up and settle one side down on the rack and then slide it over. The canoe is aluminum and weighs about 60 pounds. I am used to picking it up and portaging it through the BWCA so it is a comfortable action to perform for me. It is easier to put it on than take it off. My wife helped when we took it off at the campsite but I'm not sure that was any easier trying to coordinate two of us lifting it and putting it down. Practice will probably help with that.

Thanks.I use a channel attached to the roof rack and a small wheel on the "front" of the canoe,it's a 12'old town fiberglass about 60# with paddles and seat cushions and life jackets. I keep everything in the canoe except the anchor.We lift from both sides to put the canoe on the roof bar above the door than I move down the canoe and slide it forward to the stops on the front roof bar.Taking the canoe off is actually easier than putting it on.We were concerned about being able to do this when we went to the Tundra,which is about 6" higher than when the camper was on the ranger. Another member who carries a canoe uses the Yakima loading extender bar as he loads from the side like you do.I think we will take the canoe with us on our trip this fall.Most of the time we just carry it around.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom