Quick weekend report Santa Cruz Moutains Little Basin

CALIcamperdad

Ok so quick campground report for Little Basin which is just 2.2 miles from Big Basin St Park located in the coastal Redwoods in the mountains above Santa Cruz.

Little Basin I think is more family and kid friendly than the Big Basin campgrounds.

Little basin has a huge modern play structure for the kids, and a second set of swings located in another location. Along with a proper fenced in soccer field and they have a small Frisbee Golf course that runs through the meadow. I must say we were really impressed. The showers we were told were getting a major rebuild this week and that was our primary complaint given the showers near us were closed this weekend but they are being rebuilt this week.

Some notes regarding the layout when you look at the map the sites in the higher numbers are in the hilly terrain and the sites in the lower numbers are down on the flat. For instance we had site #29 which was for frame of reference half way if you will up the hill. Not steep but our site was sloped and the parking pad was not level. We arrived late 12 midnight not ideal for a good set up of our tent trailer. Anyway I have a Horse shoe folding tire type leveling device basically it cradles the tire then has a large screw resting in the lower portion that you then crank up to lift the tire off the ground and level the trailer. I had it maxed out and were were just barely level tire was about 13inches off the ground on one side. Needless to say Friday night I found my self laying on the floor twice given I didn't get our bed level.

I had to do a little minor excavating Saturday to get the adjustable feet on the outer portion of our bed frame to sit a little lower on the hill side to level the bed. The picnic tables were all modern metal table bench combos with a rubber coating cemented in place. Sadly ours was far from level which made cooking on the end of it on the camp stove a major pain.

Anyway the campground was really nice and quiet, no bug issues though they did have lots of standing water left over from the rains we had over a week ago. So that could change. Roads were all paved and in great shape unlike Big Basin LOL. Fewer people and not on the main road its well hidden off the beaten path.

Keep in mind its privately run, but State land. So they do have rules that are Atypical. No dogs period. I have a dog he stayed home I didn't have an issue with that. No Alcohol which is one I found very interesting. I suspect its more of a tool to shut down and chase out loud groups given they don't check your kit when you come in. Wife and I had a nice glass of wine after the kids went to bed. ;-)

We will be going back but probably target a lower number site for a flatter set up.

Camping gear notes. This was a get things sorted trip.
#1 Get the dang bed level!
#2 Upgrade the old plastic plates
#3 Add a better cutting board
#4 Add a second dish washing bin to the kit

Costco storage bins last minute purchase yellow lids bins worked great! Getting two more!

Roaring camp steam train ride was fun. Dixie is quite a machine. Kids had fun.
210 miles round trip for us at 22mpg with the Subaru hauling the camping rig.

Photo (Sorry we generally don't post photos of our kids online so its gear photos only)

gallery_5633_896_2656182.jpg

camperdad, fun to see redwoods again, makes us want to rinse off some desert dust. Thanks for sharing your family fun! :)

Our days of camping with the kids are over, at least until the grandkids show up. Lots of good memories though. :) Good job getting your family out into the woods for some fun.

Back
Top Bottom