Quick winterizing / de-winterizing tips

rando

Here in the front range of Colorado our shoulder seasons are quite long an make for pleasant camping and exploring. In fact, we probably do more camping in March - May and September - November than we do in summer. However the draw back is the weather can be extremely variable - 80F and sunny one day (and at one altitude) and 15F and snowing the next night. The consensus seems to be that it is fine to use the water system in these conditions as long as you are careful - keep the heater on at night, open the cabinets, run the hot water heater. However, you still need to winterize the water system between trips for when the camper is switched off and sitting in the driveway - which brings me to the topic of discussion: What have people done to quickly winterize the camper between trips?

So far my after trip procedure, on my month old Fleet flatbed, has been to drain the hot water tank back into the main water tank (open the HW drain valve then turn on the hot faucet), and shut off the input. Drain the main water tank by parking on a slope and leaving the drain valve open. Hook up the shower and leave it low while opening the sink faucet to drain that line. Run the pump until it stops pumping water - although this seems to leave a fair amount of water still in the pump. Is there anything else I need to be doing?

To speed this up I have added two shut off valves in the line to the outside shower (doubtful we will use that this time of year), and I have built a compressed air blowout adapter for the city water hookup. I have an onboard compressor, and built an adapter to go from an air chuck fitting to an inline pressure regulator (set at 30PSI) to a male garden hose thread. The new faster plan of attack is to hook the compressed air up to the city water - turn on the sink faucet (hot and cold), and shower (if used) and wait till air blows out these. I can then close the valves to the shower and it will stay dry. I can then drain the main tank through the low point drain valve, and run the pump. It seems that this could still leave a fair amount of water in the pump - any tips for getting the water out of the pump?

Number one is to drain the tank-as to getting out the water from the pump, I'm lazy, so I just turn on the pump and open up the facets wide open and drain it that way! I use the camper year round so I don't go through the whole winterizing process with anti freeze and all that and so far for the last ten years-despite some short time freeze ups and thaws-nothing has broke and I keep going out. Oh, I always try to park in the sunny part of the drive way or camp site! Also keep a check on your battery gauge/comptroller if you haven't stored the camper and disconnected it and it is still on the truck! I have solar so my batteries will not loose their charge but I still check it and make an effort to keep the snow and ice off of the panels and the roof! If you are not careful ice and snow will build up on the roof and are a bear to get off (there are a few threads here that describe that horrible process) . These pop-ups are tougher than you think and are built good enough to take on both dummies like me and "Mother Nature" too :) !

Smoke

I just winterized. Took me 15 minutes. I drained the tank and the water heater back into the tank. Today I opened the drain and nothing came out. I poured 3 gallons of pink camper anti-f reeze into the tank. I turned the power and water pump on, then turned the cold faucet on until I got pink, followed by the hot water. I repeated with the outside shower, first cold then hot until I got pink. The pink is good to -50. There will be a little water left in the hot water tank, but that shouldn't be an issue. You might want to consider 2 gallon water containers with spigot in the winter. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

We are still going to use our camper through the winter, so I am trying to avoid using the antifreeze and having to rinse it out before each trip. I also would like to continue using the water system on trips unless we know it is going to be super cold, single digits or below. Having nice hot water in the desert in winter is going to be such a luxury! This is why I want the process to be as quick and painless as possible.

So--don't put the anti-freeze in. Just watch the temp and weather and if whats left in the water system does freeze--don't panic, just park in the sun until it thaws out and then go---or. My major problem here is my water pipes freeze here and sometimes I head off to warmer/lower elevation areas with a case or two of bottled water as my supply and head for a campground to water up. It all part of using these things that are so much better than my old back packing tent or sitting under the camper shell!! Don't over think things, just learn to enjoy your new toy !

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom