R.I.P. "Big Rack" buck

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
This guy has shown up in my yard a few times over the past few years...
Apparently, he was well-enough known around Bend that he acquired a nickname "Buck Norris".

“Buck Norris” killed along Highway 97 in Bend

I first posted about seeing this guy in my yard back in 2012 and then again last year : "Big Rack!"

_DSC7029.jpg

_DSC7000.jpg

Big-Rack-06.jpg

Both of the creatures in this photo on my back deck are now gone.
It's a shame that Mr. Big Rack went out being hit by a car -- not a cool way for such a magnificent wild creature to go.
(I don't know what happened to my Kitty -- disappeared one night last summer, probably taken by a predator.)

Yep, apparently he was hit on the busiest street in town, about a mile from my house. He's estimated to be 9 or 10 years old.

Michelle Dennehy, spokeswoman for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, summed it up pretty well:
Unfortunately, vehicle-wildlife collisions happen throughout Oregon and are more common around high density areas and in the Bend/Central Oregon area in particular,”...“While Buck Norris’ habit of staying within Bend city limits protected him to an older age, it finally put him at risk.

Nine or ten is pretty old for a buck, especially one with the fame of Buck Norris. I'm surprised that someone didn't try putting his rack on the wall.

With a bit of luck he will have passed his genes along, including what ever created that magnificent set of antlers.

Sad to see ol' Buck go.
Those were truly magnificent antlers and he lived a long life.

From a dog point of view:
Callie would enjoy paying homage to ol' Buck if she could gnaw on those antlers.
Store bought antlers are very expensive and a rack like that would be worth quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom