racks &more racks

lqhikers

getting ready to spend a couple of weeks in the bridgeport calif mtn. area and thought i would share what i have built to make fwc work even better! gas rack is 1 inch tubing holds 2 gas cans and have 2nd rack that bolts on top for 2 more cans (4 cans when we go to baja on long trips) propane rack is built the same,both are mounted to receiver hitch and are removable.ladder rack is 1 inch tubing top mounting plate bolts through body with backing plate,bottom is bolted through floor,set up now for water can and sat dish,but can be changed to carry 2 mtn. bikes.front rack holds hi-lift jack and is removable ,capable of mounting elect winch,and is built to hold weight of tacoma when i have to get un-stuck(happens more than i like!)fold down table holds stove food boxes and room for cooking,top of this rack mounts awning,and brackets for swing out kayak rack,in future i will show how this is mounted(top can be lifted without removing kayak)remember drive slow and enjoy because "its the journey

Attachments

• DSCF0489-1.JPG
    DSCF0489-1.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCF0487-1.JPG
    DSCF0487-1.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 853
  • DSCF0499.JPG
    DSCF0499.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 917
  • DSCF0500-1.JPG
    DSCF0500-1.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 916
  • DSCF0490-1.JPG
    DSCF0490-1.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 907
lq,

Very nice work. I really like the table/awning set up using the jack brackets as a mounting point...great idea. Did you have all the racks fabricated or are you lucky enough to have the welding skills? My skills are mostly wood related but welding would be real handy for work on the camper add ons. Enjoy your trip and keep us posted.

answer to DLN

Yes i do my own work invested in wire welder and cut off saw taught myself and it pays for itself over and over!plus you can experiment without spending a lot i am building a device to help raise top,i have large solar panel plus 3 bar roof rack so top gets heavy will share when its finished (will try out on bridgeport trip) drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Sweet! Post more pics, details, etc. when you can, that looks great! Well thought out and built! Thanks for posting!

LQ, Wow next time I get into the San Diego area I'm going to contact you for a welding lesson. I was thinking of buying wire welder From Harbor Fright oops Freight. Really nice work

Any truck pics with everything set up! I think that may be one of the most extensive set ups i have seen.

That is a great setup. What is the table made from and how much weight can it support? When you get a kayak on there post a picture.

answer for camelracer

the fold down table is made with 1/2 inch angle iron with the table section out of 1/2 inch plywood,pre-drilled and painted with expoy paint then set into frame with sealer,table has pin on each end(bottom) that fits into frame ,held in up position with 2 pins with wire keepers (cant recall what they are called!)when table is down i have a center support that swings out .holds 2 loaded plastic food boxes ,stove,water jug,or just about anything that fits! i'll show kayak rack next time i use it.for most trips i use a custom trailer that holds dual sport motorcycle,kayak,misc. gear. trailer is built for off road use baja etc. drive slow enjoy the trip,"its the journey"

Very nice! Takes storage to another level! I'm patiently awaiting pictures of your roof lifting device.

Back
Top Bottom