Rain noise

Vic Harder said:
Dynamat is incredibly heavy. I wonder if the sound difference is in the insulation used? Are some years insulated with batting and others with rigid insulation?
I suspect batting would work much better as a sound dampener than rigid insulation in my rig. Not sure if they ever used it or not, but it's a good theory.

billharr said:
Spend Saturday night at Blue Mounds SP in MN. Weather warning in place came in at 1:00 am and kept up for over an hour. Checked radar on phone all red on the screen. Not sure how anyone could sleep through that. Roof was so loud we could not hear the thunder. 10 inch deep bucket was full to overflowing in the morning.
Sorry the rain kept you up, but at least I'm not the only one...

Be so active during the day that when nighttime rolls around I will sleep through anything. The Deschutes River used to have trains run through the canyon at night and after a couple trips I wouldn't wake up for those and they were maybe a couple hundred yards away tops.

I appreciate the fact that many of you can apparently sleep through the apocalypse, but I was hoping for some ideas as to mitigating sound in the camper. :p

Sorry but I don't mind the sound of rain either. We've went out a couple of nights this year where it rained all night. Some of the best sleep I've had recently.

I googled 'sound deadening metal roof' and got a number of possible solutions that could be explored.

I am not bothered by regular rain. Rain (or hail) loud enough to keep me up is a seldom occurrence (once in ~ 7 months camping spread over two years) that for me it is not a problem.

jim

closed cell polyethylene foam...the packing stuff....you can get it in rolls up to 5' wide and 1/2" thick...fairly light material.....

over or under the roof....it wont absorb water either way and rolled up it stows easily...even 1/4" will deaden most "noise" from the agua

it cuts easily and adheres pretty good with contact cement spray

but....you already have this antagonistic relationship built up with "rain"....you must deal with that first...no insulation or sound deadener will help you....you'll just look for the noise and find it.... :D

I too love the "noise" and sleep exceptionally well with the sound

Rusty said:
closed cell polyethylene foam...the packing stuff....you can get it in rolls up to 5' wide and 1/2" thick...fairly light material.....

over or under the roof....it wont absorb water either way and rolled up it stows easily...even 1/4" will deaden most "noise" from the agua

it cuts easily and adheres pretty good with contact cement spray

but....you already have this antagonistic relationship built up with "rain"....you must deal with that first...no insulation or sound deadener will help you....you'll just look for the noise and find it.... :D

I too love the "noise" and sleep exceptionally well with the sound
Thanks for that idea Rusty. Simple and cheap.

I really don't have an antagonistic relationship with the rain! I love falling asleep to the sound of it in tents, etc. In my camper however, every drop produces a high frequency, tinny sound that is anything but relaxing. I was noticing yesterday that my roof undulates quite a bit. Not sure if that's normal, but wondering if the gaps created by it are helping to amplify the sound?

Just discovered there are some rubberized paint options that supposedly have sound deadening properties. There is also a EPDM material for repairing RV roofs that looks promising.

Funny. Wife and I were just talking about this. The rain doesn't bother us but the big drips off trees
drives her crazy. I could sleep through a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant.

Oregon_Troutbum said:
Funny. Wife and I were just talking about this. The rain doesn't bother us but the big drips off trees
drives her crazy. I could sleep through a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant.
Reminds me of the pea and the princess story.... :D

$(KGrHqZHJBwFHnPmRwlEBR-v(d7LMQ~~60_35.JPG

If you have Yakima tracks. You can always spread them all the way apart and have a quick connect for a small tarp.

This is how I connect my tarp to make an awning.

I just have a couple eye bolts the the end of the bars.

On the tarp I have elastic tarp connector as shown above. I have carabiners attached to the connectors for quick attachment.

The only thing you need to remember is to attach it before you raise the roof.

Bill D said:
$(KGrHqZHJBwFHnPmRwlEBR-v(d7LMQ~~60_35.JPG

If you have Yakima tracks. You can always spread them all the way apart and have a quick connect for a small tarp.

This is how I connect my tarp to make an awning.

I just have a couple eye bolts the the end of the bars.

On the tarp I have elastic tarp connector as shown above. I have carabiners attached to the connectors for quick attachment.

The only thing you need to remember is to attach it before you raise the roof.
Great idea! Too bad I don't have the racks though. I have been considering adding some for other reasons. Maybe this will convince me to pull the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom