Raising or Lowering FWC Top In Below Zero [F].

patrkbukly said:
Hi Billiski,
So you do not fill the camper with water in it's own tank/plumbing but rather just use the 5 gallon water container?

20 gallons of water in the main tank, or even a little less, probably will not freeze "solid" but it is not insulated and external to heated interior of Hawk...and the line to the drain at the rear of the camper from the bottom of the main tank would then have water in it; it could freeze and bust a fitting or pipe.. I do not believe you can isolate the water in the main tank...

Unlike the hot water heater which holds one gallon of water even when it is drained into the main tank [and then out the external drain at the rear of the camper]... my assumption is that the one gallon residual left in the hot water heater can freeze and expand but do no damage inside that "6 gallon" tank space.

Under marginal conditions, like getting caught in an unexpected cold snap and with water in the system, we have heated the 6 gallons of water [this takes 15+ mins starting with cold water] then we drain that hot water into the main tank, dumping water out the rear drain as needed to create 5 gallons of space in the main tank...we then have hot water in some of the lines and the main tank...repeat as needed...takes propane but heats plumbing.

My approach on my ski trip will be to remove all water that I can from the Hawk water system and switch over to my 7 gallon water "jug" for any water needs. The jug will stay up front in the cab under the heater vent when moving and in the Hawk when parked.

=================

Ps...Any "trick" light weight and collapsible ladders you folks use for getting snow off roof...I have other ideas for accessing the roof but a ladder would be nice...one I could carry in the Hawk and take out at night.

I just did two nights in Eastern OR in low double digits. I knew my propane was getting close, but didn't figure it would run out in the middle of the night. Of course, it did...at 2:00AM! I switched and got re-fired, but spent some time under the covers with my puffy on and the hood zipped up.

As for removing snow on the top, or anywhere for that matter, I got one of these. It was very handy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X1CQHGN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wallowa said:
20 gallons of water in the main tank, or even a little less, probably will not freeze "solid" but it is not insulated and external to heated interior of Hawk...and the line to the drain at the rear of the camper from the bottom of the main tank would then have water in it; it could freeze and bust a fitting or pipe.. I do not believe you can isolate the water in the main tank...

Under marginal conditions, like getting caught in an unexpected cold snap and with water in the system, we have heated the 6 gallons of water [this takes 15+ mins starting with cold water] then we drain that hot water into the main tank, dumping water out the rear drain as needed to create 5 gallons of space in the main tank...we then have hot water in some of the lines and the main tank...repeat as needed...takes propane but heats plumbing.

Ps...Any "trick" light weight and collapsible ladders you folks use for getting snow off roof...I have other ideas for accessing the roof but a ladder would be nice...one I could carry in the Hawk and take out at night.
"the line to the drain at the rear of the camper from the bottom of the main tank would then have water in it; it could freeze and bust a fitting or pipe."
I added a shutoff valve in by bench seat just out of the main tank so water doesn't sit at the outside drain valve which could freeze.

"Ps...Any "trick" light weight and collapsible ladders you folks use for getting snow off roof...I have other ideas for accessing the roof but a ladder would be nice...one I could carry in the Hawk and take out at night."
I have the FWC rear steps mounted which is my roof ladder.

Shutoff valve at tank makes sense; good idea...but just for me, I would still worry about main tank freezing, and then again, what good does that 20 gallons do me if I can't get to it when it is below freezing? Can't run the pump and if I drain water out the back, how do I then clear that line?

I also have the FWC "steps" mounted on my Hawk; you are a better man than I if you can climb them to roof when it is up; let alone climb them and remove the snow....I can reach the rear of the roof when it is down by standing in the door way of the Hawk...but up, that is a different game...the steps are great for hanging stuff on... :cool:

Phil

Ps..."As for removing snow on the top, or anywhere for that matter, I got one of these. It was very handy. https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1"

Yup, I have something similar to this...thanks...just getting to the roof is now my concern....can't see a way around using a ladder when roof/top is up...guess I could always bite the bullet and keep the top down during heavy snow periods...

Back
Top Bottom