Random FWC Photos

ski3pin said:
Keep an eye on the approaching storm -
Yep, I have been. It looks like most of the trouble will be to the north, with just a 10% chance of precip in Bishop and Big Pine on the wettest days. But I plan to be back down in the basin level by Thursday night, before the storm is forecast to arrive. Then heading south toward Joshua Tree.

Doug Stewart said:
Nice photos, Mark! I think you're camped where I got stuck about 1984 in my yellow, 2WD Toyota Hi-Lux pickup.
The tiny 100-yd-long spur that leads to this specific camp spot now has an official USFS road number, thus "legitimizing" driving there.

At my favorite camp-spot in the White Mts (of California) tonight -- near the top of my list of very-favorite camp-spots period.

Camped at about 10,700 feet, looking north up the spine of the Whites; 14,252-foot White Mt Peak in the far distance.

_DSC2747.jpg

_DSC2751.jpg

To the left, west (where my truck is pointed), the view (out of frame) is of Bishop 6,500 feet below -- and the Sierra Nevada.

A quick shot of our rig in front of the Biltmore Mansion this weekend on the way out of the Overland Expo East.

Life is good! Dunderburg Mill and Virginia Lakes on the Eastern side of the Sierras
ImageUploadedByWander The West1476547655.104361.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1476547726.922324.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1476547774.905015.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Another Biltmore shot from Overland Expo East. There was more sun on Monday.

Attachments

• Biltmore Truck.JPG
    Biltmore Truck.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 244
Saw this in "Mammoth Times" so not my picture or camper. 120 over Tioga closed briefly last weekend because of rockfall. I wonder if this fell right behind the camper, as it appears, or if the camper backed in for a picture. Either way, its a big rock!

Attachments

• 14713523_1187761464637961_4451461181768867407_n.jpg
    14713523_1187761464637961_4451461181768867407_n.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 227
Had a great trip south with lovely weather in the High Sierras and western NV. Pacific NW had a nice welcome home for us as we had booked a night at Crater Lake Lodge for my sweetie's birthday. Never saw the lake.... This is last Sunday morning.

Attachments

• CraterLakeAM_JDavis.jpg
    CraterLakeAM_JDavis.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 248
Some shots from a little trip across the Sierra and down 395 earlier this month. Went from snow to sun to freezing - all in the course of a couple days - welcome to the Sierra in October!

ridenorcal said:
Some shots from a little trip across the Sierra and down 395 earlier this month. Went from snow to sun to freezing - all in the course of a couple days - welcome to the Sierra in October!

Attachments

• IMG_5710.jpg
    IMG_5710.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_5708.jpg
    IMG_5708.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_5829.jpg
    IMG_5829.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_5911.jpg
    IMG_5911.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 237
A late night dinner on Thursday as I stopped in Pine Grove Furnace State Park in south central Pennsylvania on the way home after ten days of leaf peeping in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. The temperature was in the mid-seventies at 10 pm, which made dining out very enjoyable (unusually warm for mid October). The next day, central PA got seven inches of rain with resulting floods. Fortunately I had already headed south before the storm hit.

Attachments

• Late dinner 2.jpg
    Late dinner 2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 265
MarkBC said:
At my favorite camp-spot in the White Mts (of California) tonight -- near the top of my list of very-favorite camp-spots period.

Camped at about 10,700 feet, looking north up the spine of the Whites; 14,252-foot White Mt Peak in the far distance.

_DSC2747.jpg

_DSC2751.jpg

To the left, west (where my truck is pointed), the view (out of frame) is of Bishop 6,500 feet below -- and the Sierra Nevada.
The whites are a wonderful place to camp. Is this close to the radio tower near the top of Silver Canyon Road? I spent a couple days up there this past summer and it was great. The views are amazing.
Sure hope they open the sites where CARMA was located.

ETAV8R said:
The whites are a wonderful place to camp. Is this close to the radio tower near the top of Silver Canyon Road? I spent a couple days up there this past summer and it was great. The views are amazing.
Sure hope they open the sites where CARMA was located.
Yes, ETAV8R, it's at the edge of that area below the Silver Peak radio towers. An awesome spot that's just-outside the "NO camping" Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest zone.
My last night up there I experienced gusts of at least 70 mph -- measured by my anemometer. :eek:

MarcBC - how are the camping boundaries in the Whites defined? Just anything outside the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest? I've not noticed clear signs for that in the past, are there specific areas along the Patriarch road that take you outside the boundary?

DonC said:
MarcBC - how are the camping boundaries in the Whites defined? Just anything outside the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest? I've not noticed clear signs for that in the past, are there specific areas along the Patriarch road that take you outside the boundary?
For the most part there are roadside signs that say "Entering Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest" or "Leaving...." which define the boundaries of the protected zone (at least, the boundaries that intersect the road). So, when driving up the White Mt. Road -- north from Westgard Pass, all of that area UNTIL you reach the first sign that says "Entering Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest" -- several miles -- is like any other national forest land: dispersed camping permitted.

Taking the turn-off towards the descent into Silver Canyon you pass one of the "Leaving..." signs and right after that (before you descend into Silver Cyn) is a southward road that goes up to the Silver Peak radio installation. And it looks to me that that area is outside the protected zone.

Continuing north on the White Mt. Rd you eventually exit the north edge of the protected area...though on my most recent trip I didn't notice the sign saying so.

Peering closely at the Inyo N.F. map and/or at USGS topo maps also shows the boundaries of the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.

Campsite just outside of the northern boundary of Badlands NP, off the road down from Wall. Had a blissful evening at this location... warm, T-shirt, light breeze weather. There were a surprising amount of other rigs within a mile or so along the rim; a 40 foot motorhome, a tent on top of SUV setup, a motorcycle w/ tent and a car or two. Around midnight the weather changed quickly and drastically including a 20 degree temperature drop and sustained winds to 40 mph with gusts to ???? We were forced to lower the camper and sleep down at the cat's level because the buffeting with the pop topped was insane. When we got up early the next morning we were the only vehicle left save for three kids that slept in their car. They told us that everyone else had bailed around 2AM and drove out.

2016_09_12_5482-PS (Small).jpg

Back
Top Bottom