Random FWC Photos

camping near June Lake for Ice Climbing

gallery_5532_1100_1254174.jpg

Arizona desert, February 2017. Creating a solar panel angle with fixed roof panels.

gallery_6806_1103_472076.jpg

Was up late at night thinking of ways to improve solar output while boondocking in Arizona, and came up with this idea. Did a quick search of wander the west and didn't find any others having tried this unconventional idea.

Gave it a shot on a partly sunny to sunny day in the desert, and lowering the front half of the roof gives a 10-20% increase in solar panel output with the February angle of sun in the Arizona desert. Food for thought. We don't spend much time in the camper during the day, and the back half of the Eagle is still very usable.

The black water tank is indeed a road shower. We inherited it with the camper when we bought it used, and so far is working out great, minus a few repairs we had to make roadside and a swing by home Depot. Will post a build thread later after 2 weeks remote camping and how everything has worked out gear wise.

The antenna is for a 4g cell booster, we rely on staying connected for our jobs, it's the weboost drive 4g-x Otr trucker edition. Made a special mount for it that allows it to be folded over. Working well, and again will post in a separate build thread I've been meaning to throw together, but work has been getting in the way.

I'm curious to how much trouble it is to lift your road shower? My 160 watt panel added a lot to the effort. I haven't used my road shower yet. Figure I'll have to get a speaker lifter or add to my lift struts when I do.

And I'm curious about how warm the water gets, depending on how cold it is outside. As in, on that last trip did it get warm enough to use?

I use the "Solar Shower" ... just a black bag on one side clear on the other hang up on a tree or off camper/ Holds 3 gallons. Plenty for a soap up and rinse. If gets a bit too hot at times (summer). I don't want any more stuff than what I have now on my roof.

TwoPlusLu said:
Arizona desert, February 2017. Creating a solar panel angle with fixed roof panels.

Did a quick search of wander the west and didn't find any others having tried this unconventional idea.

Gave it a shot on a partly sunny to sunny day in the desert, and lowering the front half of the roof gives a 10-20% increase in solar panel output with the February angle of sun in the Arizona desert. Food for thought. We don't spend much time in the camper during the day, and the back half of the Eagle is still very usable.
Pretty common practice, it just makes sense.

DVNP-Spring-2015-246-copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom